Help

The VENT

I Feel Lost...(Kinda long)

>

PackFan32

I Feel Lost...(Kinda long)
Old 04-13-2015, 07:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've posted here recently. I read here nightly. I reply occasionally. Things are bad for so many of us. We are tired, burned out, disrespected, overworked, overwhelmed, unsupported (by parents and admins).

I feel lost. I feel like everything I ever wanted to do has been taken away. This is not the job I started 13 years ago. So much has changed. New curriculum, Common Core, super high expectations of the kids, standardized testing...

Also, as another poster said on another thread, kids don't respond. I'll ask questions specifically to them. Basic questions, like "where is your pencil" or "Where is your math paper". I just get stares.

Homework is incredibly LOW effort, 3 word sentences (I teach 4th grade). Very sloppy.

Review test questions the day before and allow use of book to look up math conversions (or whatever) and still getting 13 F's

I still have to do a service learning project but running out of time.

Tired of doing Capturing Kids Hearts.

Tired of grading papers I can't read or that don't answer the question.

Personal life too...just bought a house. Have a 14 year old daughter with attitude. I'm a single mom - been that way for 13 years.

So freaking overwhelmed and sad at how my life turned out. Not happy.

Nothing sounds fun anymore. I dread phone calls, e-mails and texts. Nothing is fun to do - it's all a chore, I dread activities because it's more to do.
Grocery shopping makes me cry, I can't make decisions. So tired of doing it ALL BY MYSELF...

I don't even know if I can make it 37 more days.....

I just need those who really really understand where I'm coming from to just listen and give me a few pats on the back I guess. There's so much more, but I just can't bring up more negative stuff.

So now what...how do I finish this when I hate even getting up in the morning.

Sorry so long...this is a much needed vent....

PackFan32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suezie

Old 04-13-2015, 07:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm not sure what advice to give you right now but you definitely need a hug. I'm sorry to hear that things are tough for you right now. Something has to give. Make a list. Decide what is most important for tomorrow. Don't think about next week. One day at a time -- baby steps.
Suezie is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 04-13-2015, 09:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Quote:
Grocery shopping makes me cry, I can't make decisions. So tired of doing it ALL BY MYSELF...
I would shop on-line and have my groceries delivered to lessen the load. Ask your DD for more help. You don't need to do it all, as pp said, make a list and determine what MUST be done, and what can wait or even forgotten about.

I would also suggest seeing a therapist. It sounds as if you are depressed. I know there are days I can barely get out of bed to get to work and perform. I find taking with a person who has no connection to me is easy.

Realize you can only do so much and do what you can do. Nothing is so important that it can't be put aside for a little bit.

klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 04-14-2015, 02:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Just sending a huge (((HUG)))
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 04-14-2015, 04:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Yo am not a person who just goes to meds first thing, but have you thought about that? It could be a temporary feeling for you, but if this is ongoing, you might want to see your doctor.

Sometimes life is overwhelming, but when shopping for groceries becomes a decision making chore that makes you cry, you might need help. Time for a girls night out? Friend who maybe could spend a little time with you. 14 yo girls can be a handful, but she should also be able to help out a bit more, too. Give her a list to tackle. Cleaning, or send her into the store with a list and a budget.

Good luck getting through this. Have some flowers from PT

kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

jahlenius

I hear you
Old 04-14-2015, 05:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I hear you, I understand that things are not what we had thought they were going to be. But you are not alone. We are all in the same boat. Remember to take time for yourself, you will be better off for it. Even if it means have a sleep over at your house with your daughter's friends. They will be off doing what 14 year olds do and you can read a book or bing watch Netflix. Orange is the New Black is awesome, so is House of Cards. Hang in there.
jahlenius is offline   Reply With Quote

ReeseTeacher

Old 04-14-2015, 05:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Maybe a change of school or grade level? Perhaps a change in occupation (maybe you could try a different position within education, or even subbing?) Maybe even just take a year off, if you can financially afford it.
ReeseTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 04-14-2015, 06:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

(((PackFan))))) Your plate is full to overflowing. ((((PackFan)))))
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

3leggedtable

Thyroid Checked
Old 04-14-2015, 11:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

HI PackFan23, yes go to the doctor and get your thyroid checked. Don't let them tell you it's "normal", get the TSH number and make sure it is optimal. All the symptoms you described are signs of low thyroid. I have no thyroid and when my medicine is off I can't even empty the dishwasher.

As other posters said, get your groceries delivered. And if you get a Target Red Card the shipping will be free from Target. Just make one large order per month and have it delivered.

I have two teenagers at home; they are no fun. We will just have to live through the teen years.

I am not sure of your age, but it is totally normal for middle age women to question their life. We are all too hard on ourselves.

Hang tough, summer is coming.
3leggedtable is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherMeg

Old 04-14-2015, 11:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I think a lot of us can relate to what you are feeling. Sending lots of hugs your way.

TeacherMeg is offline   Reply With Quote

Hideeho

Vent away
Old 04-14-2015, 02:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

You will find your PT friends will always be here for her, so vent away. And, if you think that was long, you should see some of mine.

I hope you try some of the things others have mentioned. I think every single one of them is good.

A few more ideas:

* after work for the next 36 days, go outside and walk to the corner and back (just a short distance). Look at it as a time to catch your breath and gear up for the evening. Walk halfway slowly, look up at the sky and breathe deeply. This isn't one more thing for your plate. It's a way of taking care of you.

* find 3 ways to lighten your school load - grade fewer papers, complete your planning and prep for the next week in one night only, and so on. You will better know what things bug you the most

* think things through a little more this summer on finding ways to help you next school year.

(((hugs)))

ETA - I thought of something else - besides doing the so-called simple things to be healthy - getting enough sleep, eating well, a bit of exercise...all extra important for you right now - take Vit D.

You can get this OTC, and you should take 2,000 units. My Dr says that most people in the Northern Hemisphere could do with some Vit D. I'm taking 10,000 units/daily right now per Dr orders. I have seen a good, positive change in a couple of weeks.

Last edited by Hideeho; 04-14-2015 at 05:21 PM..
Hideeho is offline   Reply With Quote

LoveLife54

I understand
Old 04-14-2015, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

And send hugs to you!
Our fellow PT's have sent you great advice.
37 days! Just think, you've put in over 100!
Find something positive and keep on keeping on!

I've been on antidepressants for many years and I see a psychologist every six months. It's helped me tremendously! I was seeing the psychologist every week and he prescribed a new medication over a year ago.

If grocery shopping makes you cry and things don't get better, I'd suggest a counselor. It was especially helpful to me to find one who could also write prescriptions. The meds my regular GP had prescribed were not helping me. My GP recommended my new psychologist who is a PAC. I can't remember what that stands for, but it means he can prescribe meds as well as counsel.

Good luck. I wish you the best!
LoveLife54 is offline   Reply With Quote

calumetteach

Many of us have been where you are
Old 04-14-2015, 04:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

You have a lot going on. If you are religious, you could possibly go to a church...maybe a smaller one. They can be quite comforting and supportive.

I also would go see a doctor. They can check for things and direct you to a therapist or give you medical options. If you have an EAP (employee assistance program) they can also help you with finding a therapist.

Things have to change with the system. We have many students opting out of state testing and it is going to be a mess for the state to figure out. The school/state scores are going to be so skewed.

You probably are not sleeping well...again, see your doctor. It is amazing what a good night's sleep can do for you. Also, like other people suggested, find a friend or relative and just go out. Things will work out. Hugs to you. We are here to support you!
calumetteach is online now   Reply With Quote

PackFan32

Thank you
Old 04-14-2015, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Thank you everyone....I feel so very supported! I will try all of these suggestions. Taking a walk, vitamin D, getting a thyroid check...I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and get a sub for a doc visit. I've had very bad experiences with subs and am reluctant to use them. I haven't missed a day of school in 3 years because of that.

I am actually seeing a counselor every other week. And yes - I am NOT sleeping well. It takes 3-4 hours to fall asleep...it's been horrible, actually. Always tired.

My plate is very full. It's an analogy I keep using. I'm trying to remember just how lucky I am compared to some, and that what I am dealing with is going to be alright someday. I just can't seem to get a grip. I'm working on it, though!

Thank you again. I know I can share here with no guilt and without holding back. You guys are the best.
PackFan32 is offline   Reply With Quote

mizmamster13

PT Friends rock!
Old 04-14-2015, 07:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

PackFan 32,

When I read your original letter, I felt so sad for you. Everything seemed so overwhelming for you. I read all the messages people sent you and then I felt good.
I loved reading your reply and I could feel the difference in your spirit when you responded to all of the encouraging support from PTers. I am sending (((hugs))) and good vibes to you. Keep us posted and let us know how you are feeling. We care!

Mizmamster13
mizmamster13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rkhnd

Vit D
Old 04-15-2015, 05:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Vit D is fat soluable and can become toxic if you take too much. 2000 is the recommended daily dosage. Check with a Dr. before taking much more than that.
Rkhnd is offline   Reply With Quote