Help

The VENT

What are your thoughts?

>

GooseCreeker

What are your thoughts?
Old 10-25-2016, 11:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

A teacher put a rude message/ joke directed at me in the EOY video presented at the celebration for students going to middle school. The teacher told me the video included a private joke between herself and kids in my home room class. This video was shown to students and parents of the 120 students on the last day of school. My home room kids were filmed saying"bye,Felicia", me being "Felicia". I knew something was up as the teacher who created the "year in review" video laughed and snickered during its showing. I didn't react because my focus was close out the year, begin summer, and enjoy my new retirement. A month passed and I finally researched the meaning " 'bye Felicia" (You're an annoying beetch and no one cares you're leaving). I was angry, hurt, even lost sleep. I want to tell my friends who remain on the campus-as well as admin-about her mean spirited "joke" but realize a lot of time passed.
What are your thoughts? Let it go and hope karma takes its course?? Sorry for the length but I'm interested in your opinion.

GooseCreeker is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

Oh no!
Old 10-26-2016, 12:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That was so cruel, and so inappropriate. It's downright mean. I'm so angry for you. I'm not surprised you lost sleep over it.

Not only was that hurtful to you, but she taught a whole homeroom of students that it is okay and even funny to disrespect a teacher. That message was passed on to the other kids on the grade level by word of mouth, and to any savvy parents in the audience.

Like you, I wouldn't have gotten the "joke." How could you suppose that after all your years of service, a fellow teacher would choose to send you off in such a dismissive way?

Despite the time that has passed, you should address it.
PrivateEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

pausebutton

Both
Old 10-26-2016, 01:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If I had to choose, I would definitely open up to one or two friends and share how hurtful this "joke" was so I don't bottle up those feelings. What she did was really insensitive. After getting it off my chest though I think I would let karma run it's course.
pausebutton is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

I would send email
Old 10-26-2016, 01:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You're retired, so you have nothing to lose. I would let the P know just what you told us. This may save another teacher from being treated like that. That was a mean trick and totally unprofessional. She needs to be called on the carpet.

Then, let it go. She has taken up enough space in your brain. Enjoy your well deserved retirement!
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

narnian

EXTREMELY unprofessional.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This would eat at me for a long time. I would NOT want my child to ever be near this person. Oh, I am so mad for you. This person needs to be taken down a peg or two by the principal.

Edit: My gosh, Munchkins, we were typing practically the same thoughts at the same time. Ha!

narnian is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

The best revenge
Old 10-26-2016, 01:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

The best revenge is a happy retirement! That "joke" says more about her than about you. Maybe she is actually jealous that you now have the time to run your life the way you want and not be consumed with all the responsibilities involved as a teacher. Don't hesitate to go back and visit. Bring treats. Look well rested and HAPPY. Karma is your best friend.

It really does pain me to say that we really are the lucky ones. When I see and hear all that classroom teachers are forced to deal with it breaks my heart. Children today see nothing abnormal about being constantly tested. That is not what we went into teaching for. I have great admiration for teachers that somehow make it work. OK, I'll get off my soapbox now.
RetiredKat is online now   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 10-26-2016, 05:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

"Bye, Felicia" is incredibly rude. Is your name actually Felicia?

I would probably contact my P and let him know a staff member made such a hurtful reference to your retirement, but it depends on your relationship with your P.

I'm sitting here shaking my head how unspeakably rude that is. I'm genuinely shocked.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 10-26-2016, 05:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My first instinct was to say let it go. Then I looked it up, as I have never heard it, and I found that there are no other ways to take it. (Is your name Felicia?) so the class/teacher most definitely knew that.

I think I would talk to the person and the principal. I would consider asking to put something in her file to that effect. Totally inappropriate. Not the kind of joke we should even consider making, even if it is true (not saying that it was).

I also think that once you make a decision that you need to let it go so you can enjoy your life to its fullest. I certainly am jealous of your retirement!
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 10-26-2016, 05:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I should add, my friends and I say this to each other (when I leave Happy Hour early, for example, I can count on hearing a chorus of "Bye, Felicia!"), but it is a total joke made lovingly between friends. Not your sitch at all.

GooseCreeker

Ty ECGen23
Old 10-26-2016, 05:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

No, my name isn't Felicia. I chalked the actions up to immaturity. I'm glad to know it's just not me being overly sensitive.

GooseCreeker

Thanks
Old 10-26-2016, 05:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I like how you think, Kahluablast��

GooseCreeker

Private Eyes
Old 10-26-2016, 05:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Thanks for your thoughts--I appreciate that you took the time to respond.

GooseCreeker

RetiredKat
Old 10-26-2016, 06:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Thanks for the response. I plan to visit the campus with treats and have a meeting with admin for closure.
GooseCreeker
Old 10-26-2016, 06:27 AM
This message has been deleted by GooseCreeker. Reason: Repeat

landsoftly

Goosecreeker, I agree with
Old 10-26-2016, 07:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

everyone here. Whatever you decide, we support you--and want to hear about it. Just feel protective about your feelings being hurt any further. The superintendent would help in this situation--and the idea of the union would help quite a bit.

Last edited by landsoftly; 10-26-2016 at 04:02 PM..
landsoftly is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 10-26-2016, 07:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I had no idea what "Goodbye, Felicia!" meant so I looked it up. WOW! I don't blame you at all for being hurt and angry. How totally unprofessional of that teacher to get students to do that, let alone film and show it to parents and anyone else in attendance at the send off to middle school. Her actions were mean and she got the students (probably many unknowingly at the time) to participate in being mean too. I would wonder what other things she says/does behind her classroom door.

I agree with others to say something even though time has passed. I think I would type something out in a formal manner and call to make an appointment with the principal (preferable right before that teacher has her planning time). I would sit down and tell the principal what happened and give her what you have written out. I would ask to meet face to face with the teacher with the principal present. She certainly needs to be called out for such nastiness.
ZipLine is offline   Reply With Quote

Peaches Pears

Old 10-26-2016, 09:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Quote:
This video was shown to students and parents of the 120 students on the last day of school. My home room kids were filmed saying"bye,Felicia", me being "Felicia".
Wow! This is like the Queen of The Mean Girls training the next generation.

I was unfamiliar with the expression. Not now.
It was beyond rude.
I consider her actions to be "harassment in the workplace."

Pretty serious.
Employers do not take harassment complaints lightly.

Besides being immature and unprofessional, what would motivate the teacher to include this in a video. The bottom line is she crossed a pretty serious boundary.
She needs to know and those who employ her and supervise her also need to know.

Schools have a tendency to sweep things under the carpet. Think of all the times police should be called or notified regarding student behaviour yet schools continue to "solve things internally" until something explosive happens. Don't let this be brushed off lightly.

But don't let it consume you either. Take some action and then enjoy your retirement.
Peaches Pears is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

Zipline
Old 10-26-2016, 09:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Remind me to never ever get on your bad side!!!

"right before her planning time" PURE GENIUS!!!

Last edited by RetiredKat; 10-26-2016 at 02:11 PM..

Lakeside

Old 10-26-2016, 09:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I would have had no idea at the time what that meant either! I'd probably chicken out and assume I'd never see that (not nice person) again anyway. But if I got up the nerve, I might write to the principal (if the video is still available for him/her to view) saying that it has recently come to your attention that something inappropriate had been included in it. Explain that you didn't recognize the slight at the time, but have since learned what it meant, and are now concerned about students being directly taught bullying techniques by staff members.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

stephenPE

Old 10-26-2016, 10:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

So did this witch ever show this side of her before that video insult?
I would hope to find the video and let her supervisor see it. Then let her know in no misunderstood terms how you felt about it............nasty human being,
Did you and her ever cross swords or something?
stephenPE is offline   Reply With Quote

teach1975

not ok
Old 10-26-2016, 11:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Wow-how sad. I didn't know what it meant,either. Learned something today. I would let admin. know to hopefully stop her from doing it to others. What a pathetic ,insecure, mean person she must be. Enjoy your retirement!
teach1975 is offline   Reply With Quote

WestCoastTch

I'd be angry.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

My first reaction was to let it go, but, it is so rude and inappropriate it needs to be stopped.

My CSI side would get a copy of the video via a colleague if you can get one to ask Mean Teacher for it. Get a copy and email the principal with the sincere position of making him/her aware so additional teachers are protected from being defamed and humiliated, not to mention preventing young minds from this sort of behavior.

What a witch.
WestCoastTch is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

RetiredKat
Old 10-26-2016, 12:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Must be all those Blue Bloods and cop shows I watch- Justice!
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE

Last edited by ZipLine; 10-26-2016 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: Typo!

apple annie

She doesn't need to get away with that.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I'm the queen of letting things go, but in this case,yes, I'm thinking, send a copy of the video and print out out of what "bye Felicia" means, and send it to Superintendent. If she has no better clue what's appropriate to model and teach to students, she really doesn't need to be in a classroom. Alternatively, maybe a parent who saw it and was appalled might be willing to go to admin about it.
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

Mshope

Agree with Others
Old 10-26-2016, 01:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I also have never heard this before but it is rude, inappropriate, and just plain mean. I would not let this go. Get a hold of that video and go to the principal. If he or she does nothing, go to human resources or the superintendent. This person has no business teaching children. Even if you can let it go for yourself, this person will probably do this to others. Really, she must be sick in the head to think this was in anyway okay or even funny.
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote

rusty

Old 10-26-2016, 01:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Have you ever asked the teacher who put this video together if she understood just what the expression meant? So many on this board admit that they didn't know what it meant until they looked it up....I'm thinking maybe she just heard kids say it to each other and thought she was being "with it." I'd confront her first before making a big deal of it.
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 10-26-2016, 03:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

Oh gosh, rusty made an excellent point. I didn't realize that phrase wasn't common knowledge. It's from Friday, if anyone cares.

GdHrtdTchr

Disrespectful Video
Old 10-26-2016, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

At first I think I was leaning towards moving on, even though what she did was terrible, mean, unprofessional and inexcusable.

HOWEVER, I had never heard this expression and upon even just a little investigation...I am outraged. Like others suggested, I would request a meeting w/the princ. Flat out state that you did not know the root of this expression, that you learned its history/origins upon investgation and SHOW HIM/HER THE 2-3 minute video clip from Friday slong w/the retirement video. If any of your students are African American, some of them are no doubt familiar w/this scene. It involves smoking a joint, lots of profanity including the "f" word and the "n" word. For kids entering MS any reference at all to a scene like that (even if not shown to the kids, it was clearly copied) would have a teacher roasted!!

Tell! Show the video! COMPLETELY INAPPROPRIATE!!

(((HUGS)))

Enjoy your retirement!
GdHrtdTchr is offline   Reply With Quote

binkbonk

Old 10-26-2016, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

I would request a meeting with the superintendent and the union president - both need to know what an unprofessional a-hole she is. I am sorry this happened to you.
binkbonk is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 10-26-2016, 03:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

Rusty does have a good point. The OP said the following which makes it seem it wasn't innocent:
Quote:
I knew something was up as the teacher who created the "year in review" video laughed and snickered during its showing.

Zia

Zipline
Old 10-26-2016, 04:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

Sure, but that's perception. It is possible the teacher didn't know the origin of "Bye Felisha."

FWIW, the movie is hilarious.

GooseCreeker

Update
Old 10-26-2016, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

Met w admin today, struck a nerve in a big way. I didn't have a copy of video, I did print out several definitions and context of phrase. Admin was appalled and furious. The T knew exactly what it meant-- she was laughing and told me it was a private joke between her and the students. I'll compose my version of events and email to P
So, the ball has started its roll. Thank you all for the support, confirmation and encouragement. I do feel amazingly lighter 😎 and am moving on.

ZipLine

ECGen23
Old 10-26-2016, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

I agree it's perception. Pointing out the "read" she had on the offending teacher.

RetiredKat

Update
Old 10-26-2016, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

That sounds awesome. Another perk about being retired is now that you have "outed" her you don't have to worry about working with her in any capacity as part of the faculty. Kind of like "hit and run". If you were still on staff that could become awkward. Good for you!

VivianCP

Old 10-26-2016, 06:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

Glad you got the ball rolling & mean teacher will get what's coming to her. I CANNOT BELIEVE a teacher would involve students in something so disrespectful to anyone, let alone a fellow teacher. I am outraged for you!

But I think it stayed with you for a reason. And now that you have addressed it with admin, you can let it go. Glad that it is off your mind & you can ENJOY your retirement!!!
VivianCP is offline   Reply With Quote

1stTeacherPF

Old 10-26-2016, 07:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

WOW! If this was between adults only, it would be extremely rude but I would let it go. However, because this was done with students, that is NOT even remotely okay. I can't believe a teacher would do that! She needs a HUGE reprimand! So sorry someone did that to you.
1stTeacherPF is offline   Reply With Quote

elspeech

Old 10-26-2016, 07:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

How old is this teacher? I'm guessing she is on the younger side and wants to be the "cool" teacher - otherwise how did she even think this was OK? If the students brought up putting it in the video, the teacher should have shut it down immediately, especially if she knew what it meant.
elspeech is offline   Reply With Quote

eagles23

Old 10-26-2016, 09:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

Just reading all this, and I am so glad you talked to admin! I think she knew exactly what she was doing. Even if she didn't know exactly what it meant, she knew enough to know it wasn't kind. Keep us updated! Enjoy your retirement! Get a little rest and relaxation for me!!
eagles23 is offline   Reply With Quote

GooseCreeker

Eagle23
Old 10-26-2016, 10:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #38

Thanks I plan to continue with follow up. My admin is very supportive of her teachers as well as protective of students. The offending teacher just made her life that much more complicated.

Munchkins

Yay, you!
Old 10-27-2016, 01:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #39

Score one for the good guys! You saved others from being the object of her meanness. I'm proud of you!
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Gifted

Old 10-28-2016, 03:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #40

I would be so tempted to visit the campus and have a little chat with the P about her rudeness. I might then feel compelled to stop by her classroom to clue her into the fact that I said something. On the way out the door, I might even look her dead in the eye, and with a smile exclaim "bye, Felicia!"
Gifted is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

I just saw this..
Old 10-28-2016, 08:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #41

and wow! That is 1 rude, unprofessional, and ignorant teacher. I really do not believe in telling on people, but a comment I saw about helping the next teacher who she may do something so mean to, Munchkins...made me change my mind on this 1....As I was rdg this, I was thinking, skip the P and go straight to HR in central office. They can make sure the P finds out and the meanie will too. I had never heard of the saying either. I see you already took control of it...which is good. Being that nasty her life will turn out miserable if she does not grow a heart.. Now, I hope you fully enjoy retirement!
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Young Teache

Young Teache

Bye Felecia Meaning
Old 11-02-2016, 03:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #42

I want to put your mind at ease a bit.

"Bye Felecia" is quote from the 1995 film, Friday. In the film, the protagonist does use the quote when speaking to his sister when her presence is not desired.

Since then, the quote has been morphed into a lot of different meanings, and it's about tone and context.

Used playfully, "Bye Felecia" is nothing more than a reminder of a funny line in a movie. If this was the way that the phrase was used, then I would chalk it up to that.

Colloquially, my students use Bye Felecia all the time, and they are not doing it to disrespect one another. I would consider the possibility that this was a joke. Some folks would consider Bye Felicia to be disrespectful, but it sounds to me like this was done in good fun, and I wouldn't base my decision purely off of one source from the internet. This term has a myriad of uses.

GooseCreeker

Young teacher
Old 11-03-2016, 08:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #43

Sorry..I was told it was a private joke between the teacher and students. If it was sooo funny why wouldn't the teacher let everyone in on the "joke"? ("Good fun")Thanks for trying to put my mind at ease, however the explanation offered doesn't justify someone's mean spirited and very public message. Admin and HR are aware..no one in those offices laughed.

AD

Old 11-19-2016, 08:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #44

Any more follow up? And I just googled it having no idea what it meant, and THAT IS AWFUL! I don't care if it was a joke, it was a horrible joke! Shame on that teacher. How awful of her. I know myself and if it were me I'd have to have the last word. I'd let her have it!!
AD is offline   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

Old 11-21-2016, 11:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #45

I had no idea what that meant nor have I ever heard that expression. She should have a counseling referral filled out for herself and mandated to join a restorative circle. . . and then suspended 1 day. That's probably what would have happened to her if she acted that way as a student in charge of this type of harassment that could be a plagued as a form of bullying!
luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote