Help

Retired Teachers

Retired in June...now what?

>

learnforever

Retired in June...now what?
Old 11-06-2016, 01:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello Retired friends, I retired in June, have traveled on my two much looked forward to retirement trips, helped my daughters with babysitting grandkiddos, read a ton of books, and am in a book club. I realize my former school friends are in a different stage of life so those relationships have waned. What now? How did you all choose new hobbies and meet new people? I live in a different town than the one I taught in for 40 years so I'm starting over for sure. Love not going to work, the peace, lack of stress, and choosing how to spend my days. I can't seem to get motivated to be a joiner or to get going and clean out my closet etc. I. In a bit of a funk...any good advice would be much appreciated😀. Love this group of sage retirement pro teachers!🍷❤️📚

learnforever is offline   Reply With Quote

GooseCreeker

Me too
Old 11-06-2016, 02:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I read, plan trips and ...try to organize my life. I struggle to go into the room where I ( literally) dumped my personal school stuff. So I set a timer and do a little at a time. I do meet my friends who still teach for an after school Starbucks or a Happy Hour. It's at those meetings my confirmation that it was my time to retire. I try to plan some kind trip each month. Some trips are big, some small...but there is at least one monthly event. I love music and want to brush up my skills on the piano and learn the guitar. My friend started knitting and crochet ( she's retired in a different state), her suggestion was to find a class and get started. Thru her class she found a small group and now they meet monthly-- share projects and tips. So hang in there..remember you're in charge of your schedule. Take it slow or fast...it's up to you. Enjoy and know others wish they were us��
GooseCreeker is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 11-06-2016, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I also retired in June and the biggest change for me is that I am able to exercise daily. I go for a 90-120 minute walk with a friend or listening to a book. The result is that I am thinner than I have been in 15 years and for once can say, "I'm happy with my weight." I find that feeling better about myself physically is helping me feel better emotionally.

Does this address your post?
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

Old 11-06-2016, 03:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I need a little structure-not too much. I volunteer at my local hospital one day a week. Lots of jobs to choose from. Many like to work in the gift shop but I prefer the opportunities to work with patients and families. I've met a number of other volunteers.

Are you near a college or university? Many of them have lifelong learning groups for retired people. Mine meets every Friday morning. Some have classes you sign up for-some have lectures and opportunities for socializing. The Osher Lifelong Learning Institutes are fantastic if you have one near, but there are other programs. http://www.osherfoundation.org/index.php?olli

You're still new to retirement. You're probably still in recovery. I think it takes about a year to find your way.
Cassyree is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Me Too!
Old 11-06-2016, 03:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I retired in June as well. I moved 70 miles north to a more affordable town.

I have joined a church and am meeting people, hoping to make new friends there.

I have had a block party in my neighborhood after moving in and made a couple of casual friends. We have been out to lunch twice since my July party. I also got one of them to go with me to Painting With a Twist which was fun. I am planning a Christmas open house for neighbors in December.

I also am volunteering one day a week for a few hours and have met some nice people that way.

I have become addicted to coloring in adult coloring books. I color, read, watch TV and Netflix... but want more structure. Not too much but something. I want to learn to crochet and quilt but have not reached for a classes yet.

I would like to start a purple hat society group with some other nice women. Then I could look forward to our monthly gatherings.

1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

azcathy

Thoughts on life after retirement
Old 11-06-2016, 04:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Traveling is a great way to start retirement! My husband and I also babysit on a regular basis. It's fun to think of new places to take the kiddos but we also love going to our favorite parks or library programs with them. Volunteer activities are rewarding and a great way to meet other retirees. Our local botanical garden has many volunteer opportunities ranging from leading tours, caring for plants, assisting at events, etc. You may have a local museum or church that would suit your interest. I also agree that exercise is much easier to do now. I like to walk, use a Pilates DVD or go to the gym almost daily. You may qualify for free membership through Silver Sneakers. Community classes keep your mind engaged and cover a wide variety of topics. I have enjoyed learning about birding and ecology. We have more time for home improvement projects like refinishing our cabinets, sewing new drapes, and repainting several rooms. Have you looked into local groups online through Meet Up? You may find groups for people that like to hike, watch movies, attend plays or concerts, try out new restaurants, etc. It's great to be retired and you just have to take the plunge to enjoy your new lifestyle.
azcathy is offline   Reply With Quote

rusty

Old 11-06-2016, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

First of all....congrats on retirement after 40 years of teaching!! My goodness, that's quite an accomplishment and you should be very proud of yourself! Take your time getting used to your new lifestyle. I, too, retired, sold my house, and moved away just last year and it was quite an adjustment. I missed my old comfortable routines and my friends. It's been over a year and I am just now starting to make new friends and getting into new "routines." I joined a Senior Center and even though I'm one of the youngest members, I enjoy their exercise classes and bus trips. I try to walk every day and go to some museum or library at least once a week. I felt so anonymous for awhile....I'd go shopping and not meet one person I knew. But just this Saturday...I had two different friends from the Senior Center stop me and say hello and it made my day. So, hang in there....don't spend too much time indoors cleaning out closets...get out and enjoy yourself. You earned a nice, happy retirement!
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote

teach61

learnforever
Old 11-06-2016, 10:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I appreciate your questions. I, too, retired in June, took a couple of much anticipated trips and now am trying to piece together some enjoyable activities, etc. Being retired allows me to volunteer in a neighbor's classroom for a couple hours each week (I prep materials for her) and babysit for another neighbor for an hour each week. I also get to attend a grandmothers prayer time at my church each week. I cannot get motivated to clean those closets, but I know that they will wait for me!

Having more time to walk has been important, and I'm looking forward to finding more walking buddies in my neighborhood. It all seems to take time and, for someone who is used to going at top speed, the pace of retirement is taking some getting used to.

Keep on keeping on.....
teach61 is offline   Reply With Quote

connieg

need purpose
Old 11-07-2016, 04:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Hi,

I think we all need some sort of purpose in life. I thought there would be one big volunteer sort of thing after I retired, but it didn't quite work out that way. I traveled, got into genealogy and then writing, and then did volunteer stints here and there. I found volunteering in the schools frustrating, so now I only volunteer tutor a friend's grandson who just came from China.

I also found a few volunteer roles that fit into my life and don't consume me. I am the coordinator of an Operation Christmas Child Relay Center through Samaritan's Purse and also a church coordinator of another group that reaches out to International Students at a local university. Those two opportunities keep me busy and I know that very good things are coming out of them.

Not many of us are used to sitting around looking for trivial things to fill our days. That makes us dissatisfied with retirement life. There will be someday when we can't do these things so just look for ways to do things just one time to dip a toe in the pond of opportunities.
connieg is offline   Reply With Quote

spedder1

I retired the year before last
Old 11-07-2016, 05:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I subbed last year. I started this year subbing, then had kneed replacement surgery. I just subbed for two weeks for a friend at my old school and today start a .5 Special Ed Resource position at my old school. I decided I didn't want to work full time, but part time is enough to keep me from sitting on the couch and stagnating. I just couldn't find something to keep me busy. I am more active in my church with choirs, committees and Sunday Schoo., too.
Kathy

spedder1 is offline   Reply With Quote

landsoftly

Like a bit of variety
Old 11-07-2016, 08:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

with a mix of errands, fun, & productivity in a day. Some days are devoted to just fun, tho, which can change.
Our passions drive us in retirement, along w/ obligations and of course love for family and friends. In the first year, as others said here--exploring and discovering what those new passions are is a journey. You might feel a bit at loose ends--remember that is normal. You might at times view it or yourself as empty or needing to immediately figure it all out. It's kind of an experimentation time.

Last edited by landsoftly; 11-08-2016 at 07:15 AM..
landsoftly is offline   Reply With Quote

learnforever

Thank You
Old 11-07-2016, 09:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Many thanks to all for the encouragement and inspiration. I appreciate your collective wisdom and truths so much!

Last edited by learnforever; 11-08-2016 at 07:25 AM..

learnforever

Tell me about...
Old 11-07-2016, 05:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Amiga 13....Your walking schedule...I need to do more exercise too...wow... 90 minutes? Where do you walk? Do you use your iPhone for your books? Just needing some guidance....and inspiration...

2grade

Old 11-08-2016, 02:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

For exercise, some of us count steps using some type of "Fitbit" style device or on our cellphones. Others, like me, may use phone apps like Map My Walk/Map My Fitness. There are several other good ones out there. These are free apps for Android & Iphones. It's fun to see how far you've walked and if your pace picks up. When you walk around your neighborhood area, you can't help but be social as you greet your neighbors.
2grade is offline   Reply With Quote