Help

Kindergarten

Letter writing assessment...

>

IHeartK13

Letter writing assessment...
Old 03-28-2016, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello! Just wanted to hear your thoughts on assessing letter writing in Kinder. It is on our progress report and at this time we have them write both the upper and lower case letter on dotted lines. They do have a model. I have some that can form their letters pretty well, but can't place them on the lines well. It also seems that they can write it correctly one day and the next it's all over the place. Do you assess letter writing with lines or just a box? Do you give them a model? Just trying to figure our what is the developmentally appropriate way to do this.

Thank you in advance!
Leah

IHeartK13 is offline   Reply With Quote

benteach

Model and Practice
Old 03-28-2016, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It works well and allows you to differentiate if you model what you expect your students to do and then give them time to practice, practice. You could even pull a group of those students who are having difficulty forming their letter. Lines are important - we also assess letter writing when we dictate a short sentence for students to write on their own and for writing sight words both on lined paper.
Hope that helps!
benteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 03-28-2016, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I teach handwriting using Wilson's FUNdations. When it comes time to assess for report cards, I take a few into the hallway (because I have the FUNdations banner in the room) and I give the letters in random order, using FUNdations paper. I don't do it in alphabetical order because that isn't a true assessment.

When you say they have a model, do you mean the letters are on the paper? We do it cold, because otherwise you are assessing copying. My report card wants us to assess that they know all 52 letters and can form them correctly.

Is it developmentally appropriate? Not really. Do 1/3 of my students score 2s even in the last trimester? Yep. Do I care? Not a whole lot.

Last edited by Zia; 03-29-2016 at 05:28 AM..
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiffany

Writing
Old 03-28-2016, 05:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Welcome to the Kindergarten board!

I start teaching proper letter formation at the beginning of the school year. It helps to have a consistent vocabulary for each letter. I use a script from Handwriting Without Tears. There are big lines, small lines, big curves, little curves, big slides, small slides, and magic c's. The words "Frog hop up" means pick up your pencil. The words "up like a helicopter" means your pencil stays on the paper. (Ex. Capital B: big line down. Frog hop up. Little curve, little curve.)

My students practice on mini chalkboards and magna doodles before moving onto paper. Initially, I highlight the 3 lines using 3 different colors. I only have to do that for several weeks until most students catch on.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any questions.
Tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote

meandmyhouse

Hi!
Old 03-29-2016, 03:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We do not assess letter formation anymore, but when we did, I did not have a visual model for the children to refer to during the assessment. I used a sheet with a grid of boxes for them to write in, then named the letters in random order. We now assess writing, as in ability to research a topic, opinion writing, online publishing.... no I am not kidding

meandmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 03-29-2016, 01:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We do not have a separate assessment or grade for letter writing - it is included on the rubric we use for their writing score. We used lined paper for that. Although when I assess number writing I use blank boxes.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

bennyjake

Old 03-31-2016, 09:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Developmentally, many kinders are not ready or able to use the lines correctly. I access them with out lines. I'm looking to see if they can make the letter correctly, with the correct motion, without a model.
bennyjake is offline   Reply With Quote

essence253

Letter Assessment
Old 04-15-2016, 08:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We have to give students a letter formation assessment for report cards. The kids don't have to write on lines but in boxes. We call out the letters in random order. In addition to letter formation, we also have to assess them on writing the letter for each sound, including long vowel sounds.
essence253 is offline   Reply With Quote