Help

Kindergarten

High Frequency Words

>

Zia

High Frequency Words
Old 01-08-2017, 02:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How do you teach them? I'm looking for new ideas!

Thanks!

Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 01-08-2017, 02:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We call them bubble gum words and each child studies at home with homework that is individualized.

If student passes their test on Friday,they get a piece of bubble gum to chew for 30 minutes. We throw it away before going outside.

We cheer them by reading each letter and alternate between groups for each letter.

We sing Heidi songs for sight words.

In November, I began dictating five per day and students write them each day on white boards. The words are posted on a word wall for students to refer to. On Friday we write on paper for dictation.

When introducing the words, we write them and circle,box or draw a smile face under the sounds we already know. We learn contextually how to use the word and usually have a book for the lesson from Reading A - Z We highlight the new word in the book.We build new words with letter tiles on individual trays for each student. We count the syllables and segment the word to hear each sound.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 01-08-2017, 03:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We do a lot of different things but here's my very favorite - it takes time but hits so many other standards as well. We do not do this all in one sitting!

1. We pick a word or two and make a sentence frame with them. This week our frame is My _____ are ______.
2. Each child dictates a sentence. We write these on chart paper, and talk through them as we write. We talk about the capital, spaces, sound out the unknown words, the kids help spell the sight words, etc.
3. If time, each kid gets to come up and read their sentence to the class with a pointer, and then lead the class in reading it again.
4. We cut up all of the sentences and give each child their sentence. They glue it in order onto a large piece of construction paper. Then they illustrate it and we make it into a class book.

Not only do my kids rock their sight words, but this becomes a huge part of our phonics and writing lessons as well. And they are their favorite books to read. At the end of the year we take them all apart and give each kid a book of all of their pages from the year.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

NoKetchup

Total Sight Words
Old 01-11-2017, 10:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

A few years ago I cam across Total Sight Words on youtube. It teaches the sight words by song, visuals, and actions. They have helped my students tremendously.
NoKetchup is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 01-11-2017, 08:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I've used a bazillion different approaches and tricks and what-not over the years. Probably the most success I've had is to have individual sight word cards (in a bag or on a ring) for each student. I take a list of 100 words and break it into groups of 5.
I start by giving an assessment. Depending on the kids, it's usually 10-15 words. The words they know go in their bag. Any words from that first group of 5 that they don't know also go in the bag and are the "new" words they work on at home. Every week they read their words to me (or if I'm lucky, an assistant or volunteer). Once they've got all of the words in the bag, we add the next group of 5. It can be time consuming, but once I got into a good routine, it worked out.
They also work on sight words during their guided reading group with me for 2-3 minutes. The words aren't matched exactly to their words, but usually they overlap. We do mix-it/fix-it activities, what's missing (write the word on a small white board, erase a letter & then show it to students and ask, "what's missing?" then add it back in and have them read it. Repeat with different letters), table writing (just write the word with your finger on the table), and writing the word on white boards/paper. And some days we do an old-fashioned quick practice with flash cards (they love to make that a competition).

ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 01-12-2017, 05:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thank you for all these great ideas! I appreciate it.

Zia

Sbkangas??
Old 01-12-2017, 10:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Like this?? Then cut each word out and have the kids reconstruct the sentences in order?
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE

Zia

Old 01-12-2017, 11:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I'm having them put the magnetic board words over the written ones....
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE

Sbkangas5

Old 01-12-2017, 12:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Sort of.

I have each kid complete the same sentence frame. So this week our words are "my" and "are", and the sentence frame is My______are _______. Then they each have their own sentence (buy in that they reconstruct and illustrate. We tend to do it every other week and combine a couple of words we have been studying.

I stole the activity from a colleague many moons ago, and even though it's time consuming it's still my favorite and most effective.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 01-12-2017, 07:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Just to be clear, the kids created the sentences; I just transcribed them. I put all the words from this trimester on the table, we reviewed each word, then I dealt them out like cards and each kid created a sentence incorporating the words they were dealt.

I did it in small group.

This works, yes? Still the buy-in, etc? It didn't even occur to me to give them fill in the blank.

lolasmom

high frequency words
Old 01-15-2017, 06:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I tape my high frequency words on the frame of my classroom door. It is a school expectation that I stand at my door at the beginning of each day. Now I am greeting them but also getting in some word practice with them each day. It is on both sides so I can have 2 children reading at once. I do this each year and it is a great way to assess the kids daily.
lolasmom is offline   Reply With Quote

bennyjake

Check out
Old 01-16-2017, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Tara West's Primary Sight words curriculum. Her blog is Little Minds at Work! She's awesome!
bennyjake is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 01-16-2017, 06:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Cool! Thanks bennyjake!

KenCampbell

High frequency words
Old 02-17-2017, 01:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

You first teach them in isolation - perhaps ten to fifteen at a time - either flash cards or a paper list. When a child can do 100% correctly in less than 1 second each - proceed to the next list. Dolch

Once they've learned their sight words - you will see that error rates persist, interfering with comprehension. The only way I know to eliminate high frequency word errors is through phrases (off of, for them, all three were there, etc.)

Kenneth Campbell
Author
Great Leaps
KenCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 02-17-2017, 06:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

KenCampbell, that's interesting. The current research says to teach in context, assess in isolation. And timing a 5 year old goes against my philosophy.