the new Ontario Progress Reports - HELP!!! - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Canadian Teachers

the new Ontario Progress Reports - HELP!!!

>

kayaker78

the new Ontario Progress Reports - HELP!!!
Old 10-23-2010, 09:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Anyone out there fighting with these new progress reports? Mine are due to the principal in 2 weeks and I feel like we have no idea what they are supposed to look like. There's been lots of "technical support"...fine, I can log in and I know how to enter the information...but what am I going to write!?!?!?

Ugh.

kayaker78 is offline   Reply With Quote

smitty509

Growing Success
Old 10-23-2010, 10:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

do you have the Growing Success document. I haven't honestly had a chance to look through it yet, but it might have completed examples in it?

I know it isn't much help but I think we are all feeling in the same boat!
smitty509 is offline   Reply With Quote

missbrooks

Ours are due Oct 29!
Old 10-24-2010, 06:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

and I am getting around to it today! Some progress report....it is as involved as the report card only without the grades and without any training!
missbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote

dancerella

I am feeling the same way
Old 10-24-2010, 06:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I was told to use the comment bank for the subject areas but I don't understand how to do that if there are only 3 boxes to check and 4 comments. Has anyone else been given direction about this?
Mine are due on the 6th of November, so if anyone has anything to share that might help doing them, let's post it here.
dancerella is offline   Reply With Quote

kayaker78

I agree, let's help each other
Old 10-24-2010, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I tackled the "learning skills" side of the reports this weekend... To get started I went though my class and decided what they were getting for each of the 6 learning skills...then I tried to use the descriptors for each skill that are on the report to make my comments. I started with a strength, then their areas for improvement in the middle and tried to end with a postive.

As far as the subject side goes, I feel like we've been left to guess.... I have one page that was handed out by my principal it says:

"Teachers are expected to use their professional judgement to gauge an individual student's progress as they move toward meeting the overall expectations. Since it is early in the school year these status indicators are NOT intended to be directly equated to limited summative assessments." What does that mean???!?!??!

So the debate at my school is, are we indicating on how they are progressing towards meeting the expectation - which makes me think that "Progressing Well" means that they aren't necessarily preforming at standard yet, but I expect that they will be by the end of the term....so these could be "c" level students....

My fear is that if a parent sees "Progressing Very Well" they will equate that with an A....

dancerella

Update to using comment bank
Old 10-26-2010, 03:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am no longer using the comment bank and we are expected to write our own comments.
We are sitting down with grade like teachers to discuss it.

Has anyone started/done it and could you share an example with those of us who have not.

jkristen

Old 10-26-2010, 04:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

See, we've been told that the progressing VERY well is an A and well is a B and C &D are with difficulty....

I knew we needed more direction with this.

Has anybody written any comments for the learning skills that they could share???
jkristen is offline   Reply With Quote

kayaker78

my learning skills comment
Old 10-26-2010, 04:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Here's an example of one of my learning skills comments, I haven't tried the subject comments yet.

***** is making a good transition into Grade Two. She is adjusting to the routines and expectations. ***** works well independently. She works hard to complete her tasks and achieve her goals. She requires some assistance to manage her time effectively so that she is able to complete her tasks on time. ***** follows instructions with minimal supervision during independent work time.

When working with her peers, ***** requires assistance to stay on task and to resolve minor conflicts. She attempts to find a solution, but adult intervention is usually necessary to achieve consensus. ***** is able to use I-statements to express her feelings. She is encouraged to listen carefully and reflect upon the I-statements made by her peers as they attempt to resolve conflicts.

In the classroom, ***** usually listens and follows directions carefully. In the gym, she requires more assistance to focus on the speaker and use her active listening skills. She is encouraged to work on focusing on the directions in the gym so that she will find the activities more enjoyable.

***** demonstrates curiosity and interest in new learning and approaches most new learning tasks with a positive attitude. She completes her tasks with care and attention to detail. Keep doing your best work, ***** !

I hope that helps.

jkristen

Old 10-27-2010, 10:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Ahhhh, thanks so much!!! So I think I'm on the right track.
Thanks for sharing!!!!
jkristen is offline   Reply With Quote

1belle1

Old 10-27-2010, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

regarding the learning skills, I don't know if it's just my board, but we were given a bank of learning skills. As a school we decided that we would only comment on the first 3 learning skills (responsibility, initiative and cooperation) We don't really have enough evidence of the others. Regarding subjects, we are only commenting on language and math. It does feel somewhat like a report card. I almost wish we had it that way with the amount of work I'm putting into this. We have also been told that students not meeting expectations (C's & D's) are progressing with difficulty. I think we need to save our necks by doing this. If we write progressing well, & then in January they see a C on a strand of math on the report card, they might come back and pull out this progress report to show otherwise.
Whose idea was this progress report anyway?

1belle1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tess

Due in a few days!
Old 10-29-2010, 02:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

My principal announced that our progress reports are due on Wednesday nov3rd! I'm getting frustrated with all the "bugs". Is everyone keeping to the idea of no comments if the student achieved a well or very well??? That seems odd. A blank report card could be the result. Thoughts?
Tess is offline   Reply With Quote

kayaker78

Old 10-30-2010, 04:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

At my school it is going to be very inconsistent...depending on who teachers "listen to" it seems that the board and the union have very different ideas, and cannot reach a compromise leaving us caught in the middle...

I think some teachers are just commenting if it is with difficulty...I am going to comment on Language Math and Science/Socials if there is room and then any other subject where they are progressing with difficulty. If I was a parent I, a blank progress report would tell me nothing...the entire purpose of these things is to communicate with parents...it's a frustrating mess....

rocks

progress reports
Old 10-30-2010, 03:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Our school board has said we are to comment on language and math as well as either S.S. or Science. We were told not to equate marks with progressing well or with difficulty. If the students are making progress, including IEP students, then they are progressing well. Even our old report cards had "progressing well" and "progressing with difficulty"....remember??? I had forgotten this myself.
I think the key here is communication with the parents before the report card in January.
rocks is offline   Reply With Quote

dancerella

Not consistent
Old 10-30-2010, 04:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

See our board is sending a note out to the parents that says that :

"With Difficulty" means that they have not reached the provincial standards (basically a D)
"Progressing Well" means they are progressing towards meeting the provincial standards (basically a C)
"Progressing Very Well" means they have demonstrated achievement of the provincial standard (basically a B or A)

I wish there was consistency because I know that even at other schools, teachers are being told different things.

Also, on our progress reports they have 1 box for Language (reading, writing and oral communication) and one box for math but two separate boxes for Gym and Health, and all separate boxes for each of the Arts. Now how does that make sense?

I have some great readers but they aren't really good writers - so how do I mark their progress?
I am very frustrated...I just wish it was more clear.

kayaker78

Old 10-31-2010, 11:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I'd say you're better to be on the side of caution...I'd rather not surprise parents with a C/D on the next report... for those kids I've tried to qualify it in my comment...if writing is the issue, then I've tried to use my comment indicate the area(s) that they are struggling with.

Brudderjay

Old 11-09-2010, 11:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

What you have been told does not mesh with the messages in Growing Success. If you look to the assessment section there are some guidelines which relate to Progress Reports. The progress report is to provide parents with feedback not to evaluate.
Brudderjay is offline   Reply With Quote

MikeySue

Mash up!
Old 11-13-2010, 11:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

It's funny seeing how each school board has their own parameters for whats to be filled in. I guess we are kind of lucky here. We were told we have to insert a comment for math and language. Also, if a student is checked as progressing with difficulty we have to come up with a comment for that subject. Ours are due on Monday, (Nov 15th) and I'm just starting. (I know, its going to be a long weekend at the school) For some reason though I'm still not really worried about it, it's already been a lot less tedious then the old reports and more to the point.

I can't wait to get them out of the way though.
MikeySue is offline   Reply With Quote

Nadiab

Help!
Old 07-12-2011, 07:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Hello,
I am new to my assignment and I will be teaching grade 3/4 class next year. Is it possible please to share your learning skills, Math and language comments?
Thanks a lot
Nadiab is offline   Reply With Quote

MikeySue

Bump
Old 10-28-2011, 07:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Any Ontario teachers left on here? Progress report time! I'dlove to share my comments and see what you all think.

williamdunbar

Progress reports
Old 10-29-2011, 06:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Hi all,

I am equally frustrated and under a great deal of pressure like the rest of you. I have put together some generic learning comments that can be tailored to each student. I hope they help. If you have some to share please do. Good Luck!

Responsibility, Organization and Independent Work

Name = $, He/She = # and Her/His = #

Excellent

$ is able to share # thoughts and ideas in group settings and in class discussions. #
puts forth a positive effort to complete assigned work in class and # homework is consistently done on time. In her relationships with her classmates, $ is respectful, helpful and cooperative. # is a wonderful role model for our class and our school. # kindness and warmth are valued gifts she brings to our classroom community.

$ participates fully in group activities and during class discussions. # consistently follows routines, and is very respectful towards # classmates. # often helps other students if they require assistance and encourages them to try their best. $ works well independently and uses # time in class very efficiently. # consistently completes all homework assignments. I wish to congratulate $ on # progress and thank # for being an wonderful part of our classroom community.
Some Gs

$ consistently demonstrates independence and an eager attitude when faced with academic challenges. # is working on slowing down during class work in order to always produce # best work and always accepts constructive criticism with a positive attitude. # effectively interprets and synthesizes information. In and out of the classroom, $ continues to be a great role model to her peers. # is always willing and enthusiastic to help others when needed and continues to be a great role model to # peers. $ should be very proud of her progress; it is a pleasure to have # in the class. Keep up the great work and attitude!!

$ is adjusting well to the required expectations of the Grade 4 curriculum. # always organizes # time efficiently, works effectively without supervision, and follows routines and instructions independently. During class collaboration, $ takes responsibility for # own share of the work, but $ needs to communicate with partners and group members. # Sense of humor and d good nature are an asset in the classroom.

$ is able to share # thoughts and ideas during class discussions and in group settings. # puts forth a positive effort to complete assigned work in class and when homework is assigned, $ it is consistently completed and returned on time. In # relationships with # classmates, $ is respectful, helpful and cooperative. # Kindness and warmth are valued gifts she brings tour classroom and school community.

Good

$ has adjusted well to the academic demands of the Grade 4 curriculum. # demonstrates responsibility for task completion and usually works well without supervision. $ consistently follows routines and instructions independently and efficiently. I can see tremendous growth in $ as # has begun to confidently participate and respond in a variety of learning activities. $ demonstrates a strong sense of self-motivation by organizing # time effectively, adhering to established timelines most of the time. Keep up the great initiative!

$ has and insightful nature is a genuine asset to our classroom community. As we have progressed # has become a more self-motivated and self-directed learner. # is now using # time in class more efficiently. # homework is still not consistently done on time but an improvement in this area has been noted as we have progressed. I encourage $ not to rush # work in class or at home. In his relationships with his classmates, $ needs to work on consistently following our character development agreement, which includes teamwork and being respectful to our peers. I wish to congratulate # on his positive start in Grade 4!

$ participates actively in community circle and in class discussions. # character development agreement and is always respectful to # towards her classmates. # works fairly independently and uses # time in class efficiently. $ has completed her homework assignments on a more consistent basis since the beginning of September. I continue to encourage # to seek my assistance if # has questions or is unsure about assignment or topic. I wish to congratulate $ on # progress this term and thank # for being a positive part of our classroom community.

$ is progressing well adjusting to most of the required expectations of the Grade 4 curriculum. # usually organizes # time efficiently, works effectively without supervision, and follows routines and instructions independently. During partner work and group work, $ takes responsibility for her own share of the work to be done and communicates well with partners and group members. On occasion, $ communicates too much and I encourage # to save the mingling for recess.

$ insightful nature is a genuine asset to our classroom community. As we move forward, # has become a more self-motivated and self-directed learner. # now is now using time in class more efficiently. # organizational skills are still inconsistent but an improvement in this area has been noted as time has progressed. I encourage $ not to rush # work in class and to put forth his best effort always.

Satisfactory

$ is an energetic student who participates in class activities with enthusiasm, but often needs reminders to stay focused. # is a considerate student who has had difficulty adjusting to the academic expectations of the classroom. $ is sometimes able to work co-operatively in small groups, yet has had some difficulty working independently to achieve academic success. # often seeks clarification about and regularly needs teacher clarification and reminders to remain focused.

$ is a quiet individual who usually follows classroom routines and school
procedures. # is encouraged to express # opinion in class more often. This term $ continues to make academic gains in our program. # continues to seek clarification for assignments and demonstrates diligence towards # projects. $ works well independently and is beginning to feel more comfortable working in unfamiliar group settings.
# is encouraged to express personal opinions more often during class discussions in order to develop leadership abilities.

Needs Improvement

In # relationships with # classmates $ is not always able to see how # words and actions can affect others. $ is very quick to see how someone else has not followed has not followed classroom routines, but it is more difficult for # to acknowledge her own role in a conflict I encourage # to consistently follow our Character Education Agreement and devise a plan to solve problems and experience positive interactions with # peers,
I encourage $ to worry less about the thoughts and actions of others and focus instead on all of the positive qualities # possesses.

$ effort to complete assigned work varies and is not always completed to his full potential. If $ feels # is not able to do something # often gives and turns his attention to other areas of the class before fully attempting the task . # needs to continue to work on his organizational skills (ex. agenda, completing important assignments). I encourage $ to seek my assistance if # is unsure about an assignment or topic. When $ does persevere he can experience some success. I believe $ genuinely cares about being successful at school and know # is capable if # learns to focus and pay attention to the task at hand. I appreciate $s spirit and sense of humour and encourage him to think before he acts and gain an increased social awareness that will help him make positive choices.

$ is a happy, friendly and active child. # is slowly developing confidence in her abilities and, at times, is anxious to do well and with every success she gains a positive sense of self and is more willing to share her opinions during group discussions. $ has difficulty obtaining and investigating new information and requires frequent reassurance and assistance with challenging academic work. # interprets and synthesizes a limited amount of information with assistance. During group work, $ listens to, acknowledges and considers differing opinions. With continued effort and success, Kayla will continue to see progress in the first term. Keep up the good effort!

$ is progressing with difficulty in our Grade 4 class. A more effective use of # school agenda should help $ keep track of assignments and due dates. However, # needs to improve # level of commitment and concentration on daily tasks and long term assignments in order see success. Better concentration in class would improve achievement in this, and other areas.

# is progressing with difficulty with her learning skills and work habits for Grade 4. In # relationships with # classmates # is not always able to see how her words and actions can affect others. I encourage # to consistently incorporate our Character Education Traits in her daily interactions with other, which include kindness, teamwork and respect among others. In # own interactions with her peers, $ has difficulty acknowledging # own role in a conflict. In # academics # has experienced some successes but does manage # time effectively and therefore offer hand assignments in late or not at all. I believe that $ genuinely cares about being successful at school and I know that # is capable of being much more empathetic and respectful with her peers.
williamdunbar is offline   Reply With Quote

williamdunbar

Progress reports
Old 10-30-2011, 04:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Would love you to share MikeySue.
williamdunbar is offline   Reply With Quote

MikeySue

Learning skills
Old 10-30-2011, 12:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

These are some learning skills comments I have for some of my students, this is for Grade 2. They are my tentative finished comments. I dont really have a mostly E comment, I might've given two or three E's to my class of 23. I hope this helps.

Mostly S and N

N has demonstrated that he can be a reliable student in the classroom. He regularly follows routines and instructions and is able to complete tasks with supervision. He is encouraged to set appropriate goals for his school work and identify what is needed to achieve those goals. N is an enthusiastic learner and demonstrates curiosity in the classroom. He is encouraged to respond to challenges with an open mind and persevere through the more challenging tasks. N is beginning to conduct himself respectfully when working with others during group activities. He is encouraged to take a more active role in group work and respect his fellow group members at all times. N often seeks clarification and assistance with his daily work. He is encouraged to actively listen to when instructions are given the first time so they do not need to be repeated. At home, N is encouraged to discuss learning goals that he would like to achieve in regards to reading. Keep working hard, N.

N has settled nicely into the Grade Two program and has shown that she can be a very capable student. She begins her work promptly and often uses her time in class efficiently to complete her work. She is encouraged to be more responsive to feedback given to her by her teacher and peers relating to her work. N routinely follows instructions and classroom routines. She is encouraged to set approporiate goals in school and identify what she must do to achieve those goals. N demonstrates an interest and curiosity in most subject areas. She is encouraged to respond to challenges with an open mind and persevere through the more difficult tasks. N is beginning to conduct herself respectfully when working in a group setting. She is encouraged to step out of her comfort zone and explore different roles when working in a group. N often asks for assistance with her work when needed. She is encouraged to actively listen when directions are being given in class so she understands what is expected from her. At home, Alyssa is encouraged to discuss learning goals that she would like to achieve in regards to reading.

Mostly G,
N has settled quite nicely into the Grade Two program. He has shown that he is a reliable student by using his class time wisely to complete his work and usually attends to the task at hand. He is encouraged to continue to put forth a strong effort in his work. N regularly follows routines and instructions in the classroom. He is encouraged to set goals for himself in the classroom and identify the steps it will take for him to achieve those goals. N works well with others when working in a group setting. He should continue to be a positive role model for his classmates by demonstrating acceptable behaviours at all times. N has demonstrated a good ability to respond appropriately to different challenges. When faced with a challenge, he is encouraged persevere through it by seeking the help of his classmates and teacher. At home, N is encouraged to discuss and set individual learning goals in mathematics and reading. Keep working hard, N.

N is a reliable student in the classroom. She consistently fulfills responsibilities and commitments within the learning environment and demontrates acceptable behaviour at all times. N routinely follows instructions with minimal supervision. She is encouraged to manage her time more wisely in class to complete different learning tasks. N looks for and acts on new ideas and opportunities for learning. When faced with a new challenge, she is encouraged to ask her peers and teacher more questions to help clarify her understanding. N conducts herself respectfully when working with others during group activities. She is encouraged to take on a more active leadership role when solving problems in a group setting. At home, N is encouraged to discuss and set individual learning goals in mathematics and reading. Keep working hard, N.

MikeySue

Old 10-31-2011, 12:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Does anyone have some language and Math next steps for school and home. I'm tryingto build my own comment bank so that it becomes very diversified.

copa

Thank you for Sharing
Old 10-05-2012, 03:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I seem to have wiped out ALL of my Progress Report data bank so I thank everyone who has shared their comments, it really helps to have a starting point. Thank you!
copa is offline   Reply With Quote