Help

The VENT

New teachers TV show

>

unsure819

New teachers TV show
Old 01-09-2016, 02:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

""Teachers," is about six elementary school teachers trying to mold America’s youth while simultaneously managing their own dysfunctional lives. From refusing to read fairytales because “sometimes Prince Charming wants to date other people” to hitting on the resident “hot dad,” these teachers are certainly changing the world, one student at a time. Coming to TV Land January 2016!"

https://youtu.be/GCuDL2vBC-g
https://youtu.be/5U99eOYYy9E
https://youtu.be/25XaU29NJRY
There are other shorter clips. Some are NSFW (cussing and insinuations, not actually nudity).

Ugh. Really? "Silent free time?" You can't leave kids in a classroom by themselves, at any grade level. This isn't about teachers just starting out and trying and making mistakes. This is about teachers who are so wrapped up in their own lives that they don't seem to care much about doing the basic things they are supposed to do. In the second clip the teacher belittles a student for knowing too much about art and suggests he should play video games. The teacher refuses to read story tales because her boyfriend/husband broke up with her. She seems to involve her young students in her personal life way more than she should and involve them in stuff they would not be old enough to understand anyway. She sends a boy to the office for no reason. Another teacher treats a student badly because his Mom was a high school bully. A teacher refers to another teacher as a witch (except she starts with a B) and changes the grade in art for no reason. There are a few clips of the teachers dealing with bad parents. Even then, the teachers don't really handle it professionally.

This may not be as bad as that Cameron Diaz movie "Bad Teacher," but it's up there.

I realize it's just a TV show, but it bothers me. Teachers have to be able to put their personal lives and emotions aside to be the best they can for their students. Most jobs you can't bring all your drama to work without being fired or at least hated. What happened to professionalism?

unsure819 is offline   Reply With Quote

needmyjob

Old 01-09-2016, 03:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Haven't seen the show yet, but saw some clips. This is just another way for teachers to be disrespected as professionals, and allows society to treat us as bad babysitters.
needmyjob is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 01-09-2016, 03:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I watched all three. I thought they were hilarious. I'm going to stick my neck out and say that the general public (with an average to above-average IQ) will recognize it as comedy.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

ElizabethJoy

Fair enough
Old 01-09-2016, 03:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I get why it bugs you but it's also typical of virtually any comedy drama involving any profession.

The IT Crowd portrays IT workers as doing little actual work, as treating non-IT people rudely, as being anti-social geeks etc.
Scrubs has doctors negelcting their patients, sexually harassing them, playing mean pranks on them and each other, having loads of free time to chat and hang out etc.

I'm sure there's tons of other examples. Hopefully people understand that comedies like this take the worst of any profession and multiply it by 100 to make people laugh. Not real life!
ElizabethJoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Dr. A

Teachers on TV land
Old 01-09-2016, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am looking forward to the show! I know I will like it.

It is a comedy parody, not Reality t.v.

I like comedy teacher movies & shows like Bad Teacher because some of the situations are things that I will never do as a teacher, but as comic relief, it would be funny if I could.

As far as giving all teachers a bad rep, I don't think it will be a problem. Excellent teachers don't have to be concerned.

Also, there are many comedy based parody movies & shows about other professions--police officers, lawyers, preachers, doctors, nurses, & parenting etc.

Dr. A is offline   Reply With Quote

MKat

Old 01-09-2016, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I saw one episode. It was VERY over the top comedy. Silent Free time? I can't imagine anyone that doesn't realize that is ridiculous. I don't think anyone is actually going to believe teachers are really like this. Conversely, they may be glad we're all so nice to their children!

I laughed. I'll watch it again. I didn't feel like it reflected on me or my fellow professionals at all. It's farcical.
MKat is offline   Reply With Quote

WestCoastTch

Not going to tune in.
Old 01-09-2016, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I likely won't watch. I did not watch Bad Teacher, either. Many of my colleagues did. I'm not a comedy film/show person anyway, but I particularly dislike parodies or satire dramatizing the "bad teacher" stereotype.
WestCoastTch is offline   Reply With Quote

southernfried

Old 01-09-2016, 07:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

It takes a LOT to actually make me laugh out loud, and these clips did. Yes, it's over the top, but like others have said, there are similar over-the-top comedies for other professions as well. And from the clips I've watched they exaggerated the parents, kids, etc. just as much as the teachers.

Honestly, I'd much rather have people watch this than something like Dangerous Minds or the Ron Clark movie that make the general public think we should all be miracle-working superheroes.
southernfried is offline   Reply With Quote

Readingal

Old 01-10-2016, 08:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Police officers don't like police shows (they are unrealistic), real estate people don't like home buying shows, etc.

It is hard to watch your profession. I don't mind silly shows about teachers. I know what it is really like and I expect intelligent people to understand where the humor is coming from.
Readingal is offline   Reply With Quote

Graphite81

Sorry
Old 01-10-2016, 11:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

These look hysterical. Bad Teacher was funny as well. Ya have to laugh sometimes.

Graphite81 is offline   Reply With Quote

bennyjake

Old 01-10-2016, 12:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I was beginning to this I was the only one who actually cracked up when I watched the ads for this show. Looking forward to it. Glad to know others think it's funny. Love a good laugh!
bennyjake is offline   Reply With Quote

TexTeacher

Old 01-10-2016, 02:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

These types of shows don't bother me at all. Think about all the other professions that have silly comedies like this, doctors, lawyers, office jobs, etc.
TexTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

gardener5

Old 01-10-2016, 03:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

in my opinion, it's a comedy and it isn't meant to be a realistic portrayal of elementary teachers.
gardener5 is offline   Reply With Quote

midwestread

Hysterical
Old 01-10-2016, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I watched the pilot, I love parodies.
I died with the "Make good choices Jared P.!"
You can't take yourself too seriously.
midwestread is offline   Reply With Quote

azteach88

Looks Funny!
Old 01-11-2016, 10:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

This is TV show and definitely does not look like the next "Room 222" show about teachers and their students. In the clips, there are a few incidents I think we can all relate to...we just say it in our heads instead of saying it out loud.

Another poster mentioned that police officers hate cop shows and look how many there are...and even though they are more serious, I doubt it is a realistic portrayal of what it is like to be a police officer. Same with doctors, lawyers and other professions.

In truth, this show is from a comedy group/troop and the skit about teachers was part of the act. It was so popular that it became a TV show. As inappropriate as some of the situations may seem, it still looks pretty funny...not a family show.
azteach88 is offline   Reply With Quote