Help

Sunflower Room

Sports Theme...what do you think?

>

1stgradenew

Sports Theme...what do you think?
Old 08-01-2008, 07:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am moving from 1st grade to 5th grade this year. I was thinking about doing a sports/ team theme in my classroom this year but I'm not sure if this really matches my teaching style or not. I truly just want to make my room feel cozy and like home. I want to hang a lantern like so many have talked about. I will have pillows and comfy seating through out (found a mini- futon today for $20 ). Do you think doing a sports theme will defeat my goals? I guess all I really planned to do for sports was a board in the hall with some sports related theme (maybe baseballs with their names, etc.) and then maybe a TEAM bulletin board (Together Everyone Achieves More) and then some chairs with Purdue and Bears on them, and a blowup Cubs chair. I was thinking about hanging some Pennants from the ceiling. What do you think?

Should I do a sports theme or no theme and just go for a cozy, comfy, home-like theme?

liketeaching1

The theme
Old 08-01-2008, 08:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

1stgradenew--now 5th grade new--if you are not really "into" the sports theme, I wouldn't really do it if it were me. (That is a run-on sentence for sure!)

I think you need to stay with who you are and what makes you comfortable. The kids will get their vibes from you. The cozy feeling will be more in tune with what you want and feel.

If I started a theme that wasn't really interesting to me I think it would fall apart. It would be there at the beginning but I wouldn't be focused on making it more than that. (Is this making any sense?)

Cindy B

Sports - Team props
Old 08-01-2008, 10:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

FYI: I saw an endcap shelf at Walmart with several items that I would buy if I used sports. They had table cloths that looked like astro turf or football fields (with the hash marks). There were other items that were interesting.

Good luck! It is not an easy decision, is it?

1stgradenew

liketeaching
Old 08-01-2008, 11:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

So, I really LOVE LOVE LOVE football (college- specifically PURDUE) so I'm thinking that maybe I will do the outside sports thing- b/c all the teachers put the kids names outside of the classroom. But then from there maybe I will just do a small little Purdue/football board close to my desk (I do kind of want to push the whole go to college thing b/c alot of kids in my new district don't go to college) but then make the rest of the room comfy, cozy...what do you think? would the PU stuff look random?

On a side note- I went to Pier 1 today- I ended up with two laterns 2 different sizes (a medium one and a large one) I couldn't make up my mind and I thought hmmm...If one is good, two is better...haha!

liketeaching1

1stgradenew
Old 08-01-2008, 02:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You settled it well--use a little of both!

I know you'll love your lanterns. Good luck hanging them. I did it MY way (that is an old song). But it's hanging.

Mrs Dee

Also doing Sports Theme
Old 08-03-2008, 04:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'm teaching 3rd for the first time this year and I am joining a team of 2 other teachers who had already decided on a sports theme. At first I wasn't sure how exactly that would impact my classroom, but I've used it in various areas and it's turning out to be quite fun! I am setting up my writing station and some of my postcards (Free from Vista Print!) I ordered with different sports on them; I will decorate my door with various sports equipment with the kids names on them; Target had cute name tags in the dollar bin with sports around the edges; I'm using a behavior management board with their names around a baseball field and the the title "homerun behavior" - I'll move their name to the bottom where I'll have 3 X's for first strike, 2nd strike, 3rd strike; another board that says "all-star classmates" where there will be pre-cut sports items that they can write a compliment on about a classmate and post up with thumbtacks; our spelling lists we've stretched sports theme into Olympics and have "bronze words, silver words and a gold word", etc. I'm finding it really can work when you start playing with ideas! I love your ideas of the lanterns! I think that sounds so warm and cozy and goes well with your sports stuff!! Have fun!

trapper

Old 08-03-2008, 05:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I must have missed the lantern discussion. Could someone fill me in, please? I love the idea of lanterns for writing time. Where can I purchase them?

Shelley123

I think
Old 08-03-2008, 06:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

the kids might really like that. Have you seen Beth Newingham's site with when she did the sports theme? She went all out. It looks like her 3rd graders loved it.