tough times at work!

>

starz

starz

tough times at work!
Old 08-31-2006, 05:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

i'm actually a 3rd yr teacher but:

i feel like i am losing it at work! i'm a 4th grade teacher, and only 3 weeks into the school year... i feel like my students are driving me crazy! i somehow ended up with a "heavy loaded" class this year!! they were supposed to be evenly divided, so that no teacher got a heavy load...and somehow that didnt work out! i STILL ended up with a VERY LOW class.....on a scale of 1to5....most of my students are 1s and 2s...a handful of 3's...only 4 level 4's and no advanced kids...i was even told that i was specifically given some low kids on purpose!!! i have 5 kids who just moved here and speak no or VERY LITTLE english, from the Phillipines, Vietnam, and Mexico....thats a lot for one class, especially because they are all supposed to be pulled from my class for English, but now i have 3 of them staying in my room.....which is okay, when they cooperate(i try to meet their levels). i also got a class FILLED with behavior problem boys!...they seem to have ADHD...at least 4 have it, although 1 definitely isnt diagnosed with it...1 even takes medication for it(and he shows up to school without it kicking in yet, and didnt even take it last friday)...these behavior problems have some emotional problems....i'm gonna refer one to counseling, but they are also Low Students in school....and although my principal advised me to Refer them for Student Study Team testing (like we discuss interventions, testing, learning disablities..etc...a psychologist and everyone discusses the student)...i have been told NOT to refer them or ask for followups for a lot of these boys....like discouraged by the main coordinator...and there are like 5 i am really CONCERNED about...and i feel bad too.....and they are totally disrupting my class!...kids complain about them distracting them, i have to talk to them a lot, and they have no attention, and they also cant handle extra stimuli. my class wasn't like this last year!....they were soo good and attentive...and high...i did have a couple of real behavior problems last year, but i dealt with them okay. but this year, my kids need so much help, they are sooo unmotivated(i am trying lots of positive reinforcement!!!!!), and they constantly talk and dont listen to me....i dont know what the problem is!...i am also trying to be a "nicer" teacher this year, i really usually have a sweet tone of voice, but today i couldnt help feeling kinda strict, with all these problems. i feel like i have NO SUPPORT from the staff......except maybe the principal...i like have no sympathy from certain people...its like they feel like its my turn to have this happen to me...every day feels so HEAVY to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!! sad.gif i totally want to find a new job for next year, already!

marguerite2

marguerite2

refer refer refer
Old 09-01-2006, 02:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If you feel the students need to be referred, refer them. The principal has told you to refer them if you feel they need referal.
You need to cover yourself. The team may decide not to service them but you have put it on record that you felt they need services.

Even if they receive no services this year you have done the next year's teacher a good deed, for when she/he refers them your referal will be on record.