Help

New Teachers

Supplies

>

camillew

Supplies
Old 07-21-2007, 06:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I still haven't signed a contract, but there are a few good sales going on right now for basic supplies and then at some teacher supply stores as well. I would like to be a little prepared when (it's going to happen, right!?!?) I'm offered a postion.

What are must haves that can work anywhere from 2nd - 4th grades? I've got a good start on supply-type items, but I'm thinking more teacher specific stuff (borders, folders, bins, pocket charts, etc.)

camillew is offline   Reply With Quote

denisealice

supplies
Old 07-21-2007, 07:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi,
I would probably wait until you have a contract for big shopping - some things are really "grade" appropriate. Another thought is that many teachers leave what they aren't going to use - and some schools have some materials available to use. I'd see what's around and then spend money on those things you really want. I know it's a temptation to shop - it's so fun! But save your pennies for what you really will need.
denisealice is offline   Reply With Quote

Mzip

Staples...
Old 07-21-2007, 07:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If you have one near you is having a sale again this Sun-Wed on two pocket folders-.01, erasers-.05, pencils-.05 and other stuff. These are basics you will need regardless of the grade, I would stock up on these because at this price you can't afford not to. But other than just the basics, everything else is so grade specific, I would wait.
Mzip is offline   Reply With Quote

danielle

target
Old 07-21-2007, 09:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I went to Target and they had a job sign, pencil shapes and job names written on pockets for only $1.00. They also had incentive charts, stickers, pencil cases and other stuff for $1.00.

Also look through teacher magazines.....really good stuff (have a website) and look at posters they have. You can take those posters and get ideas to create your own instead of buying them to hang up in your classroom.

Also have...border, bins for glue and extra paper, pencil cases ( I put crayons in them for each group), manilla folders...they are good to keep notes/communication on every child .
We have to keep portfolios for every child so you can use manila folders or I use brown bags from the grocery store.

Others: calendar, pocket chart for the days schedule, letters for bullentin boards ( you can get them at an art store).

Thats all I can think of right now. Good luck
Danielle
danielle is offline   Reply With Quote

camillew

Thanks!
Old 07-21-2007, 11:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

All of your suggestions have been great! I'm headed to a great supply store on Monday and will keep my eyes open for the general stuff (and admitedly start scoping out what will be useful otherwise).

camillew is offline   Reply With Quote