Help

New Teachers

What are you teaching?

>

Mzip

What are you teaching?
Old 07-12-2007, 11:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am teaching 4th grade reading, writing, spelling and science. I am in a pod with 2 other teachers. I have met one of the teachers and she has been very, very helpful. But, I am full of anxiety about teaching reading. I know they don't use a reading program, they only use the book as a resource. I hate not knowing what to do!!

Mzip is offline   Reply With Quote

cdeteacher

I teach
Old 07-12-2007, 11:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I teach third grade. I will teach everything (ELA, SS, Science, Math). I will have the group of students who participate in our school magnet program (voice, strings, piano, dance, and art). I will also teach a gifted and talented reading program the last portion of the day.
cdeteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs.Cook07

Old 07-12-2007, 01:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I will be teaching 3rd grade and all subjects, Language Arts, Writing, Math, Science, Social Studies, etc.

When does everyone start teaching? School dosen't start for the kids until August 27th and as of now, the earliest I can access my classroom is August 13th--which is stressing me out!
Mrs.Cook07 is offline   Reply With Quote

txteach07

2nd Grade
Old 07-12-2007, 02:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am teaching in 2nd grade and will be self-contained. There are 14 total 2nd grade teachers at my school and all but 2 are self contained. I have not met anyone yet! I was hired the week after school ended so no teachers were in sight. I can't get in to my room until Aug. 7 or so, due to construction-new AC units, YEA! The week of Aug. 20 is inservice and the students begin on Aug. 27. I was given a list of which story from the basal to do each week, so reading is very lined out for me. Math on the other hand is not. We use Saxon, but I was told to supplement a LOT. I do have curriculum guides for what to cover each 6 weeks in math and reading so I feel a little more at ease with that.
txteach07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mzip

We go back...
Old 07-12-2007, 02:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

on Aug 3 and 6 for new teacher work days, the 7th is orientation and then we have work days until Aug 15 when the kids come back. I have been in my room 2-3 days a week for a month now and I still have so much to do. But, we don't have A/C and I'm on the 3rd floor overlooking a roof, so unless I get up there really early, I can only work for a couple of hours because it is sooooo HOT!

Mzip is offline   Reply With Quote

3monkeys

I am a new 3rd grade teacher
Old 07-13-2007, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I will be teaching reading, math, and English. I will also be teaching science to all three third grade classes. The other two third grade teachers teach social studies and spelling/phonics. I am NOT a science person, but am trying to learn to love it this summer so I am ready in August! First day of school here is August 16.
3monkeys is online now   Reply With Quote

PeanutButter

Mzip... I'm nervous about reading also!
Old 07-17-2007, 06:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am teaching 4th also. I am in a large team and all of the teachers are very nice but when I asked them about how they teach reading none of them had a clear answer. I also have a basal as a resource but we are lucky to have multiple copies of several books... probably at least 300 total. If you have something like that then you can do a lot.

I decided that I am going to try a few things and work really hard on my reading program. I am going to try to mix it up a little and do guided reading for 3 weeks, an independent book study for 3 weeks and literature circles for 3 weeks. We are on a nine week grading period so that will give them plenty to do in nine weeks.

As they are doing the independent book study I will give them graphic organizers that connect with our standards for that nine weeks so that I can check for comprehension. They will write journal entries for their book as well. Also, they will have a book project (I got this idea from Mrs Renz's website... if you don't know about her then Google "Mrs Renz" and you will find her wonderful site).

I don't really know how I am going to run Guided Reading groups... I'm waiting for team input for that. I have a little experience with Literature Circles and feel that these will help the students gain more from the text.

That's just a few ideas... I am in the same boat as you and I am also nervous about teaching reading!
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceK

Old 07-23-2007, 12:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

THe nervousness about teaching reading reminds me of my first job teaching grade 1. I had no idea how to teach kids to read and was so scared. The first year was sort of a hodgepodge of things as I struggled to find something that worked. I ended up with my own combination phonics/whole language approach that followed our themes.

I find for everything, even as a slightly more experienced teacher (5 years under my belt in 4 different grade levels) that it helps me to plan themes and fit subjects into those themes. It gives mea structure I really seem to need!
GraceK is offline   Reply With Quote