Help

New Teachers

Should students be responsible

>

sonjonia

Should students be responsible
Old 07-17-2007, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

for snacks each day? Or should I have parents send in snacks for the entire class?

sonjonia is offline   Reply With Quote

AZTeacher07

Old 07-17-2007, 05:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have mine bring their own. There's a better chance of healthier snacks, and that the kids will like what they get.
AZTeacher07 is offline   Reply With Quote

christina4062

I'm changing this year...
Old 07-17-2007, 06:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Last year I had kids bring their own, but I teach in a 68% free and reduced lunch district, and I had about 7 kids that I had to provide a snack for every single day... I didn't feel right letting them watch everyone (including me!) eat the snack they had brought from home. I did ask for "back up snacks" and received them, but I still spent a lot of $$ buying graham crackers, cereal, fruit snacks... so those kids could eat something.

This year I am doing a snack calendar, but will be asking for "back up snacks" just in case.

There are 10 classes, Young5-2nd and everyone (except for me!) did snack calendars last year, so I'm pretty sure it will work out ok.

Christina

Last edited by christina4062; 07-17-2007 at 06:01 PM.. Reason: spelling! :(
christina4062 is offline   Reply With Quote

SportingKC

Old 07-17-2007, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Depends on what the rest of your school does.

Snack was optional for my school, so we just sent home a list that said the food had to be healthy. Some kids didn't need a snack, and those who did, learned very quickly to bring something.

Most of our students eat breakfast at school, and there is a take-away food item of the day (usually graham crackers or a pop-tart). So they can get snack included if they get free and reduced lunch.
SportingKC is offline   Reply With Quote

2ndGradeRocks

Another idea
Old 07-18-2007, 10:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

When I was student teaching the teacher collected $2 from each student each month. She then bought the snacks for the following month. She could buy things in bulk (therefore cheaper), everyone had the same thing so there was no jealousy or endless trades going on and she could ensure nutritiousness somewhat. She would get things like graham crackers, Goldfish crackers, cereal, granola bars. The kids enjoyed it. If they didn't like what snack was that day, they just told her they didn't like and wouldn't have a snack that day. They did not seem to mind that at all. Students that did not bring snack money would not get snack.

BTW - this was at a school with a large percent on free or reduced lunch. $2 per month seemed to be do-able for those parents. And actually, it was much cheaper for the parents then if they had to buy their own snacks.

2ndGradeRocks is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachtoScrap

Snack Time
Old 07-18-2007, 10:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We just sent out a note with healthy requests only: fruit, crackers, water, etc... Some kids brought every day some brought once and a while. K is the only grade at our school where they have a snack calendar. Of course, their lunch starts at 10:30 so by 2:30 they are getting pretty hungry. I do 3rd grade and the kids seem to manage it a little better by that age.
TeachtoScrap is offline   Reply With Quote

conolley

Old 07-23-2007, 11:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I was in a school where the kids had the option of bringing their own snacks, but the teacher also had some on hand for kids who didn't bring them, but wanted one. Parents could "donate" extra snacks for this purpose... A box of granola bars or PB crackers, etc. It worked out pretty well and it never seemed like the kids were taking advantage of having free snacks available. The kids also had the option of buying a milk from the cafeteria for snack and charging that to their account, so some were satisfied with just that option as well.
conolley is offline   Reply With Quote

WebJunkie

snacks
Old 07-26-2007, 06:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

bring their own- have a few on hand from parent donations for those who forget or feel icky. I also let kids donate their snacks if they dont want them to somebody else if its something that can keep well without the threat of bugs.
WebJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote