New Teachers

Need advice about teaching

>

sealess

sealess

Need advice about teaching
Old 09-06-2006, 07:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am very disappointed in my experiences as a teacher. After student teaching, I was hired to sub for two weeks for a teacher. To make a long story short, it ended up being a whole semester and I was caught in the cross fire between the teacher and principal's bad history with one another.The principal even went into the teachers room and rearranged EVERYTHING. When I approached the principal about leaving the position after two weeks, she assured me that if I quit I would not have a job in the district for the next year, so I stayed. I was miserable the whole time. To make matters worse the teacher contacted the parents in the class (told them that after 30+ years the principal was pushing her out of the position, which in a way is true) and they made my life miserable. They were even mad when I made a newsletter for the parents with my name on it. Additionally, I did not even get teacher pay until the end of the assignment. Then, last fall I took a position and it went really well. The students had very high reading scores and my time with them was very rewarding. Unfortunately, human resources & payroll made me fight with them for me to recieve my teacher pay AGAIN! The teacher returned which left me without a job. I took over at another school for a teacher who moved. It was a nightmare. I knew even when I went to observe her it would be a tough class to take over because the kids were noisy, and running around the room. Ten out of 28 students were in Reading Recovery Booster Groups. There test scores were miserable and I had several students who had ADHD and severe behavior problems. IE: talking back, kicking desks, refusing to do work, throwing tantrums. The whole school was like this, with students screaming in the hallway on their way to the office. Throughout this time I really struggled with depression and anxiety, but I never quit the position because I felt like I had a responsibility to finish out the school year. Instead, I met up with one of my former professors weekly for counseling, and advice on how to cope with this classroom and stress. After spending countless hours, (coming in at 6:30 am almost every day), my time energy and money (lots on books to have a literacy rich classroom), I feel so disheartened. To make matters worse, I did not get hired for this school year. The principal of the first school I worked at hired a girl straight out of student teaching for a position. The corporation called me up and asked if I would accept a $9.60/hr aide position! I am furious at the way I have been treated and am confused about the course I should take next. I turned the position down by the way. Right now I am unemployed and discouraged. If anyone could offer me some advice and perspective on my situation it would be greatly appreciated. I applied to all surrounding districts but the market here is awful with all of the cut backs. Any advice would help. Thanks!

Nessa

don't give up!
Old 09-08-2006, 02:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If teaching is what you want to do- don't give up! You have dealt with some crummy situations, but you will be a better teacher for it. Because you already have experience dealing with "challenging" students your first full time position will go smoother. Unfortunatly in some areas of the country teaching jobs are at a premium, while in others they are begging for good teachers. I subbed for 3 years in New York, hating every minute of it, before I moved to North Carolina for a full time job.
Something will open up for you! It will happen, so don't give up!
Nessa is offline   Reply With Quote

Krissy

Stick with it!!!
Old 09-11-2006, 03:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have to agree with the other post. There are many areas of the country right now that teaching jobs are very scarce. A lot of places have the "it's who you know" policy and if you don't know someone...you're probably wasting your time. You sound like a dedicated teacher. We could use more like you. I'm from NY and I know a lot of people who have moved out of state for teaching jobs. I'm not sure what your take on moving is...but it could always be a possibility. Just keep looking and I am sure something will come up.
Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote

professor

Professor H
Old 05-04-2007, 09:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

First...I commend you on handling so many different scenarios...it is unbelievable that you were able to hang in there and teach.

Now that you have had a first experience which appears to really prepare you for anything...I suggest you pick yourself up and you realize that you have the passion for teaching...the desire...to allow the things that happened to change your direction...

Consider looking far away from where you are...North Carolina is hiring...I also understand that Las Vegas is hiring...as well as other states. You deserve a fresh start...and now...May...is the time to do research using the internet...and compile a new letter which actually documents the positives you got out of the mishaps...

I work with student teachers and am in the process of writing some books...exclusively for new teachers. The reasons...you are the example...they need help...

Hope this brings back the inspiration and motivation you had...do not allow the negative things to douse your flame, okay?
professor is offline   Reply With Quote