New Teachers

Master's Degree Assignment...

>

bklynteacher

bklynteacher

Master's Degree Assignment...
Old 07-24-2007, 01:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I know what a thematic unit is. I need to do an oral presentation on the theory of thematic units,a descriptiion of the method, a description of materials used, and the strengths and weaknesses of this method. Any information on this would be appreciated or even websites. Thank You!

bookwormin6th

Thematic Units
Old 07-29-2007, 01:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

http://www.pbs.org/teachers/earlychi...atedunits.html

In addition, this was taken off of eduplace.com

Thematic units offer teachers a useful, logical, and flexible way to organize for interdisciplinary/cross-curricular teaching over a block of time (Tchudi, 1991). Throughout the unit, teachers are able to integrate content area study and engage students in meaningful and functional learning activities (Tompkins & Hoskisson, 1991).
Themes may be focused on a specific content area, or they may be more global in nature. For example, in the language arts, the focus of a theme may be a genre, such as fairy tales or realistic fiction. Thematic units may also center around global topics such as conflict and cooperation. Teachers can relate insights and understandings in one discipline, such as literature, to other disciplines, such as science and social studies.

I have a good handout, organized in a Concept Wheel Format. I'm not able to post attachments just yet. If you'd like to take a look at it, I would be happy to email it to you.

I would definitely say that a strength of using thematic units is that it enables you to address new concepts within a familiar subject (the theme) thereby lowering the affective filter of many students. It allows students to tap into prior knowledge and to make connections, increasing their confidence.

I did a great one on ice cream, of all things, for use after testing (our brains deserved some dessert, etc). Math involved graphing (favorite flavors) and measuring (we made ice cream in ziploc bags). Social Studies involved consumerism (from the cow to the cone. Dreyer's has a great packet). Science involved the making of the ice cream (phase change), ELA involved sequencing: The steps to build a sundae. Finally, for PE we had a build a sundae relay ~ using foam balls for "scoops" of ice cream, large bowls, etc. Frankly, the kids didn't even know they were learning.

Good luck.
bookwormin6th is offline   Reply With Quote
bklynteacher

bklynteacher

Old 08-02-2007, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you for the information!