Help

Substitute Teachers

What would you do?

>

artladyhere

What would you do?
Old 11-05-2018, 08:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Last week I subbed 8th grade and I was dismissing the class by tables. As I called one table, a girl from another table got up and started leaving. I told her to sit back down as her table has not been called. In a super sassy, disrespectful tone she responds, "I'm not leaving! I'm putting away my book!" I asked what her name was. I continue dismissing and when all the kids are gone, I sit down. The second I sit down, I hear this out in the hall, "The ####ing sub asked for my ####ing name!"
What's your next move? Does this play-by play and word-for-word all get written down in your sub notes for the teacher?

artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote

Lumberman

Lumberman

end of day chaos?
Old 11-05-2018, 09:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If this had happened near the end of the day, there's not much any sub can do. If her group table was not finished clearing things up and she tried to take advantage, I honestly would've just let her go. You could describe to the teacher this defiance but I wouldn't expect much result. In fact, it wouldn't be a bad idea because if she does this again with a different adult in the room the teacher knows of a student attempting to take advantage. Next time, I would give them ample of time to clean up like in the last 10 minutes or so especially when it's for PE or any subject that deals with equipment/materials.

If this had happened just before the next period and there's some transition time before the end of your class and when the next one starts and she's outside doing her thing at her locker, I would've made sure to stand at the door while I dismiss the rest of the class. Again, it's about giving them time to clean up. More importantly, it's about supervision. I probably would've tried to find out the young lady's name somehow. Would I had wanted her back to fully take care of any mess left behind? Depends if I have a conference/coverage time.

It's not a bad idea for the adult to stand at the door before and after class starts. Acting like a bouncer is part of our job.

mooba1

Old 11-05-2018, 12:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Is this the hill you want to die on? Personally, I'd let it go. I always write things up as a good day, unless something over the top happened. Teachers already know who their PITA kids are.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

No
Old 11-05-2018, 01:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Because sadly it is the norm and will not matter.
CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote

dietcoke99

pick your battles
Old 11-05-2018, 01:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would not dismiss class by tables because it creates frustration in the students that are not dismissed, especially if the bell has rung. I would totally ignore the comment she made - not worth the battle. I would not report it to the sub - just say that all went well - it's not big enough to worry about IMHO. I ALWAYS stand in front of the door until the bell rings, though, then they all leave at one time.

dietcoke99 is offline   Reply With Quote

artladyhere

Old 11-05-2018, 07:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thank you for your replies! Your opinions made me think harder about it and what I could have done differently.

We had been watching a video that hour, so there were no messes, books, or materials to clean up.

The teacher specifically said in her notes to dismiss by tables. (I normally would not do that if she hadn't said to).

This happened at the second to last hour of the day. As soon as I heard her say the F word twice I was in the hall. It was jammed packed with students and I couldn't see her.
artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 11-05-2018, 07:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Mouthy, surly middle school kids are the norm. The teacher probably knows the culprit already.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Lumberman

Lumberman

that's why
Old 11-06-2018, 03:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

"...happened at the second to last hour of the day. As soon as I heard her say the F word twice I was in the hall. It was jammed packed with students..."

So that's why she ends them one group table (even perhaps one person) at a time. If the hall's a tight especially when the student body is hormonal and there's barely enough space to do something I get it. There's teachers I know, depending on the situation/circumstance and for whatever purpose, that would actually have students line up outside a room before taking their assigned seats. It makes sense.

YayaSub

Old 11-06-2018, 07:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

You did nothing wrong. I'd probably pretend I didn't hear it. I'm sure she said it to save face after being singled out. My guess is this behavior is typical of her, and it will hopefully be addressed by the regular teachers the next time she pulls that stunt.
YayaSub is offline   Reply With Quote