Help

Substitute Teachers

11:AM and 27 jobs still available

>

Sirsubalot

11:AM and 27 jobs still available
Old 02-19-2019, 11:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I guess this is what happens when you pay lower than other districts and have not given a raise in over 13 years. In fact we lost $10 a day about 8-10 years ago.

My sore throat returned and I did not sleep last night, hence I stayed home; yet there are still 27 jobs on AESOP for TODAY, as of 11:AM. I already used up all three sick days, so I did not take a job and then cancel it.

I would have dragged myself in for one of the two easy RSP jobs available. but these two schools also have unfilled 6th grade jobs, so I know if I took RSP, they would switch me to 6th grade, so I passed.

How common is this ? Do your districts have this many unfilled jobs this late on occasion?

Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Yep...
Old 02-19-2019, 11:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am in the middle of a 2 week job so I canít see whatís available lately, but in the past Iíve seen many days that there are upwards of 30 unfilled jobs. Many of them are in neighborhoods where parking is a huge challenge ( subs are not allowed to park in the school lots, yes really I am here for 2 weeks and I park on the street)! Iím just getting too old for the hassle of having to park blocks away from a school. Also, the economy is good, so people are doing other jobs. I only do it for the flexibility thatís required in my life right now.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 02-19-2019, 02:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That used to be common at my last district...when the pay was really low. Lots of unfilled sub jobs. But as soon as they raised the pay by 25%, they attracted a lot of new subs and there was suddenly a lot of competition for jobs.
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 02-19-2019, 04:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We typically only have unfilled jobs when we run out of subs. It is a small district with a small sub pool.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

Less money
Old 02-19-2019, 08:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I will settle for a little less money and more job opportunities. I do not want to have to stress over getting assignments.

CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 02-19-2019, 08:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have seen as many as 63 unfilled absences. This was on the Friday before thanksgiving.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 02-19-2019, 08:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My two districts that pay more and are only about 40% as large , each had no jobs.

OneGreatSub

Old 02-19-2019, 08:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I sub exclusively in a "blue ribbon" suburban district. Even though the pay sucks, the schools are generally safe and most of the kids are reasonably well behaved, so the district does manage to fill the sub jobs. Rarely do jobs go unfilled.

Regarding parking hassles: I mostly sub at the middle school. If the teacher or aide I'm subbing for will be off campus, I will usually be allowed to park in that person's space. If they are on campus, I have to park a block away up a steep hill. I'm 66 and that walk is getting harder and harder. Just another of the many indignities that subs suffer.
OneGreatSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 02-21-2019, 05:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Wow, I feel bad for those that don't get parking!

To the OP, yes, I have seen days with lots of unfilled jobs before - mostly at the high school level. And my son has told me plenty of times that his class has been sent to the auditorium or cafeteria with another class (or two, or three) when there weren't enough subs.

Quote:
I would have dragged myself in for one of the two easy RSP jobs available. but these two schools also have unfilled 6th grade jobs, so I know if I took RSP, they would switch me to 6th grade, so I passed.
Good call!
Lakeside is online now   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

My question
Old 02-24-2019, 01:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

What happens when no subs take those jobs? Do schools just not have a teacher for the day? Who covers? Study hall in the cafeteria, or do they fill the job internally?

subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

No sub
Old 02-24-2019, 06:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

When we are short subs, our classes are split up among other teachers. Teachers are always expected to have five extra copies of everything in case this happens. Itís rare, but itís no big deal.

At the junior high level and high school, other teachers cover on their prep. There is a $25 stipend if you cover a class/lose your prep for reasons outside your control.
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

Old 02-24-2019, 08:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

That makes sense.

Sounds like Jr/Sr high teachers must like it best when subs come in so they can actually get time to grade papers and take a break from the chaos and noise.
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 02-24-2019, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

At the high and Junior high levels, schools will intentionally not get a sub if they have enough subs in other classes to cover the prep periods.

One class will then have five subs, all working their preps at no additional pay, so the school saves both ways by avoiding a sub, and not having to pay the teachers to work their preps.

This is a common practice, not rare at all.

SubHuman

Old 03-02-2019, 09:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I called the local high school Friday morning because 13 jobs were still posted. I offered to come in and help out the 2nd half of the day. The office secretary told me they had already arranged to cover all spots and they didn't need me to come in. They juggle teachers around and take them off of their "planning block" where they have no class, and maybe combine classes.
SubHuman is offline   Reply With Quote