Help

Substitute Teachers

Another one bites the dust

>

CC96

Another one bites the dust
Old 04-12-2019, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Well after another day with disrespectful high school students I have struck another school off of my list.

CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 04-13-2019, 07:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I feel your pain. I think it's best to just avoid schools that have made you miserable.

I stick to the younger elementary grades, and it's never the kids. It's always the treatment I get from adults that will make me draw the line.

I just scratched off an elementary school after my 2nd try there. Great office staff. But despite my efforts to be friendly and helpful, the teachers and IAs were extremely condescending, rude, and unfriendly. The kids picked up on and mirrored that disrespect towards "the sub." (In my experience, if staff call me a "sub" rather than "guest teacher," that's already a bad sign.)

I noticed that particular school has had several jobs posted lately that went unfilled. I guess I'm not the only one they've alienated.
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Life is too short
Old 04-13-2019, 08:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Good for you for putting that school in your rear view mirror. When I look online for jobs, I see multiple listings for certain schools, while other locationsí listings rapidly disappear.

Youíd think the personnel at those schools would take an introspective approach, trying to figure out why they canít attract subs, but they seem unable or unwilling to look in the mirror.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 04-14-2019, 07:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
You’d think the personnel at those schools would take an introspective approach, trying to figure out why they can’t attract subs, but they seem unable or unwilling to look in the mirror.
You'd think. To be fair, I have subbed at schools where the staff really try to make guest teachers feel welcome. Part of that is referring to us as "guest teacher" and treating us with respect, especially whenever students are present.

It starts with the adults. If the school staff openly disrespect and demean subs, how can they expect the students to respect and behave well for us?
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 04-14-2019, 02:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Precisely, luv2teach2017. Kids are watching the adults to see how they (the kids) should behave.

Iím very, very blessed to work mostly at one school that made me feel welcomed and like a staff member from day one.

mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sarah636

Sarah636

Usually High School is the easier one
Old 05-06-2019, 02:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My experience has been that high schoolers are generally better behaved than younger students.
They're practically adults.

Middle School, Elementary school can be crazier.

GreyhoundGirl

Old 05-06-2019, 09:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

When I subbed I worked in 2 districts, loved one and was ehh about the other. I went to the middle school in the district I was ehh about and had a miserable day. I figured things happen and gave it another try. The second day was even worse. I called the sub caller and said, "never again." She told me I lasted longer than most subs. Seriously? What does that say about the building that people refuse to go back after being there once?

I stopped subbing there altogether and went I got my degree and was applying to districts I refused to even apply there (even though it was so sought after). No thank you.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote