Substitute Teachers

1st day long term sub Murphy’s Law

>

elepen

1st day long term sub Murphy’s Law
Old 04-15-2019, 02:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi

I just finished the 1st day of my 3rd grade long term sub. It was Murphy’s Law!!!
It started out okay and they have PE first thing which was good to give me some time. When they got back I called them down to sit down in front and I had a class meeting to go over procedures and expectations. After that I read a story that would have activities. They were good while I read but then I went over the packet and that’s when the drama started. They were arguing about where people were sitting, etc. The autistc student brought his water bottle and there was a big thing that the teacher didn’t allow that. He was upset and kept arguing. He did something else and I told him to move his clip down.He refused and I moved it and he kept moving it with kids getting involved. He started crying and we had to line up for library and I asked the teacher next door ( 3rd grade chair) if he could sit in her room til we got back from the library. She proved useless and called the office, the female police showed up and took him. Another boy who is adhd not on meds likes to go in the bathroom and hog it and students end up going out of the classroom or the teacher next door.
We get back from the library and the boy comes back totally different.
We go on to other activities and we switch with the other teacher and go to lunch. My teacher is the reading and social studies.
While we’re waiting in line the next door teacher on the other side starts yelling at the class about the line and talking. He did that twice when we went to the library and lunch. I hate that and one of my pet peeves.
We go to lunch and I go in the office to sign a form and the principal calls me in her office to talk about the autistic boy and the water bottle incident.
She tells me the boy has never been in trouble this year. I explain to her what happened and that I always try to work with autistic students.
I shadowed the teacher for a day and the teacher didn’t put up with anything from him disciplining just like everyone else.
We switch and the afternoon group is like night and day. No one clipped down.morning group had 6 clip downs
I also had a conversation with the young girl in the office who was going to be the long term sub in but after subbing in there for one day she said no
The things that make u go hmmmmmmm.
I’m so glad I’m an old retired teacher and not some young thing trying to get a job. Also glad I’m not a hormone hostage
I’m going to be there for 7 weeks until the last day
Any tips or comments

elepen is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 04-15-2019, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I’ve got one tip that may work for the kid w/ autism, emphasis on the word “may”. In one of the classes I sub for, one of the kids has anger issues, and would completely lose it when told to clip down.

His teacher figured out that it went a lot better if she just said, “X, you are now on yellow”, or whatever color he would’ve clipped down to. She wouldn’t physically move his clip. He still gets angry, but we don’t have the volcanic eruptions by using this phrasing w/ him.

He would do the same thing as your kid, throwing a huge fit and moving his clip around, which of course the other kids couldn’t/wouldn’t ignore.

Absolutely the student w/ autism needs to be held accountable for his actions. Having autism doesn’t give him a hall pass, it just means you’ll have to approach him in a different way.

As for the other kids, I would shut them down immediately if they try to argue. Clip down, walk at recess, whatever the consequence is, but sit on them.

Same thing w/ the bathroom hog. I’d give him 3 cubes (or whatever you’ve got that’s small) and those are his bathroom passes. 3 trips for the whole day, and he may be in the restroom for no longer than 5 mins. Set a timer, giving a consequence if he stays too long.

Yep, it’s drill sergeant time.

ETA: Ugghhh...I cannot stand it when another teacher undermines me by correcting the class I’m subbing for. It rarely happens, and I know they’re trying to be helpful in most cases, but I want to say, “Please refrain from correcting the class. I will handle it.”
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

elepen

Old 04-15-2019, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks Mooba1
Good tips

jakeh

Advice
Old 05-07-2019, 09:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I never take long term sub unless I know the class. In my district if you take a short or longterm assignment and then cancel, you are blocked to get calls for the time period of the term job. Too risky and not worth the money. I've learned this over 22-years of subbing...
jakeh is offline   Reply With Quote

elepen

Old 05-08-2019, 03:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Jakeh
I completely agree! What was I thinking
I’m not going to quit now but I won’t do this again