Was she better for me than the regular teacher? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

Was she better for me than the regular teacher?

>

c6g

Was she better for me than the regular teacher?
Old 05-31-2019, 04:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

When teachers include bits of advice about individual students in their notes, they're usually spot-on. For example, I might read a warning that so-and-so likes to play instead of finishing his work, and it's almost always true.

I was with a lower elementary class yesterday, and the teacher cautioned me about five students. With four of them, she nailed it. The fifth one was different. This girl got all her work done, followed directions perfectly, and was quite helpful. When I saw her name on the note, I reread it to make sure I wasn't misreading things.

The regular teacher is very good, and the kids like her. Although it's unusual, is it possible this student was better for me than she was for her regular teacher?

c6g is online now   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 05-31-2019, 05:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It's possible that she was.

I once had a student, in the presence of the principal, teachers, and parents, tell me that he is only good when I am his teacher. I said "thank you" and told the student he needed to be good all the time and not to hurt my friends (he was hitting and kicking his teachers and aide). Whenever I was at his school I made sure to check up on him, usually in the morning. Not sure if I made any difference or he grew out of his behaviors.

When I taught 4th grade I had all the "bad kids" in my room as the principal let the other 4th grade teachers decide who I got. I was given my assignment late due to enrollment levels. A friend in 3rd grade told me I got the "bad kids" when she looked at my class list. It was a tough year for sure.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

whd507

Old 05-31-2019, 07:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I once got tricked into kindergarten, and half the sub notes were about "little Johnny" he was a holy terror complete with a harness and leash. The sub notes said that the little girls knew where everything was and they were angels. The bell rings and they show up, the girls were little screaming banshees and little Johnny was a perfect gentleman, polite, courteous and he knew where everything was, the other teachers in the hall were amazed (bit not quite as phased by the girls who were apparently wild all the time) they (students) had never seen a male teacher before, so theres that...
whd507 is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 05-31-2019, 10:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Happens all the time in my experience. I'll get along great with a so called "troublemaker " whereas the teacher's pet may act entitled and obnoxious with me. I attribute it to different teaching styles and personalities.
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Variables...
Old 06-01-2019, 02:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

There are lots of variables in behavior... As others have said, the patterns are often repeatable and predictable but one truly never knows. In my report to the regular teacher, I often use shortcuts like "you probably wouldn't be surprised..." But occasionally we are!

MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote
sometimesub

sometimesub

Old 06-01-2019, 07:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Sure, that can happen. Sometimes it's just as simple as that your personalities are a better match. Or it might be that she sees a new face as an opportunity for a fresh start to show she can be better. Sometimes, by the end of the year, the regular teacher has had so much conflict with a particular student that it feels to the student like a lost cause to be seen as a "good kid" and it's become a habit for the teacher to always look at this particular "problem child" first if there's something going on.

I, too, have experienced snotty attitude from the "good helper" kid. Again, sometimes it's just a difference in personalities. Sometimes they're just disappointed that their beloved teacher isn't there and they take it out on me. I do (rather cynically) think that some kids just don't think it's worth their effort to kiss up to the sub who is only going to be there for a day, though.

Only once did I ever leave a note for the teacher about this type of thing, though, and that was when I noticed that there was a lot of covert verbal bullying going on toward a kid who had been listed as a "problem child." He was visibly shocked when I took his part and put a stop to it and he behaved really well the rest of the day. I just mentioned to the teacher that she was probably already aware of it but that I had observed bullying toward this particular student. It's a pervasive danger: when a kid gets a "reputation" sometimes other kids see it as a green light to be mean and sometimes teachers let it happen because they feel the kid "deserves it." Or, sometimes they just don't notice it because kids can be really sneaky. Either way, being bullied never helped a kid to make better choices.
Done19

Done19

Old 06-09-2019, 08:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Long time lurker, but I've been both a teacher and a sub. I'll tell you, a lot of "teacher pet" types (boys and girls) are sneaky. I can't count how many times, I've as the classroom teacher had a child in my class, after care, or extra curricular that I was told was a good student to be the sneakiest child in the room. I've noticed teachers who tend to play favorites tend to have not good traits. I.e. if the gossip teacher tells you a student is good, they're probably a little gossip.

MaineSub

Great insight, Done19!
Old 06-10-2019, 04:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Yep, it's a proven fact that we tend to like best the people who are most like us. It's also true that kids who get labeled "good" are sometimes the sneakiest--because they can be! Objectivity can be hard but it's worth seeking!
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 06-15-2019, 11:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Quote:
I was told was a good student to be the sneakiest child in the room. I've noticed teachers who tend to play favorites tend to have not good traits. I.e. if the gossip teacher tells you a student is good, they're probably a little gossip.
I think the regular teacher's pet(s) can definitely be the most manipulative. (If you don't play along with their tactics, they turn on you. )

As far as favorites, I think we all will prefer some over others...it's just human nature. I admit I'm much more inclined to like students who are helpful and cooperative and dislike those who give me a headache.

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 06-15-2019 at 12:41 PM..
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 06-15-2019, 01:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
Although it's unusual, is it possible this student was better for me than she was for her regular teacher?
Absolutely. Like others have said, sometimes one teacher or another is just a better match for a student.

Quote:
...Sometimes, by the end of the year, the regular teacher has had so much conflict with a particular student that it feels to the student like a lost cause to be seen as a "good kid" and it's become a habit for the teacher to always look at this particular "problem child" first if there's something going on.
I've had this happen as well. A kid I've been warned about takes advantage of the clean slate to practice behaving. Or I appreciate a "high energy" kid's enthusiasm and creativity (for one day), but the regular teacher has been worn down by how much energy he or she takes to work with.

Quote:
I, too, have experienced snotty attitude from the "good helper" kid. Again, sometimes it's just a difference in personalities. Sometimes they're just disappointed that their beloved teacher isn't there and they take it out on me...
I think that might be it, too. They've put all that work into building up their status with the regular teacher and all of a sudden it doesn't apply because I come in looking at everyone equally.

Quote:
Only once did I ever leave a note for the teacher about this type of thing...being bullied never helped a kid to make better choices.
I remember one like that as well. She was new, and had a little trouble sitting still, and the other kids just seemed to want to blame her for everything. I tried really hard to make her feel smart and special.

Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote