Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

I need help decorating my bedroom

>

Ima Spedtcher

I need help decorating my bedroom
Old 07-20-2019, 04:45 PM

After seeing Amiga’s bedroom (posted here, not in real life, because I’m not a stalker. Even if I were a stalker, I wouldn’t be able to peek in Amiga’s condo because it looks too high up and I’m scared of heights. Now it seems weird that I know she lives up high in a condo.....)

I have bedroom envy after seeing her photos. I love how she brought the colors of the ocean into her room and was thinking I could do the same with the colors of the tropical rainforest outside my house- but I’m having a really hard time deciding what I want to do- so I’m doing what any sane person would do, I’m posting pictures of my bedroom and the view online and asking for advice. Oh, and I am getting rid of the tv- we don’t watch tv in the bedroom, and that screen is too tiny to see. Ignore the laundry baskets, my DH is in charge of laundry, but he has been working almost 16 hour shifts for the last 7 days and I would come off as a really crappy wife if I still expected him to deal with mountains of laundry to fold and put away, I put the laundry away, but forgot the baskets. I am open to any and all suggestions.

I’m old enough that I was alive before the internet, but I honestly do not remember how I ever functioned without it.

Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
Ima Spedtcher is offline   Reply With Quote

CatLove

Old 07-20-2019, 04:58 PM

No advice, but your post made me laugh .
CatLove is offline   Reply With Quote

md2dkh3

bedroom decor
Old 07-20-2019, 04:59 PM

Do you always keep the curtains open as they are? If so, then no shade/blinds or full covering window treatment would be necessary?

I was just thinking that a shade of green paint on the walls would be nice. And the blinds could be brown for the wood look but it would be brighter without them.

Do you like wallpaper? There are some really nice tropical rainforest themed wallpapers that aren't too over the top if you are into that. Maybe on one wall.

Another option would be to paint the walls almond/beige/carmel and use the green tones for the window treatments.

I'm not great at this but just some thoughts. Good luck! I'd love to see pictures when you're done! I also can't wait to see what others post!
md2dkh3 is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 07-20-2019, 05:02 PM

Green is a very soothing color...so that’s a great idea. I would not go too dark with the walls...but not pastel, either.

First thing I would do is get rid of the curtains. I would put nice blinds that can go up during the day and down at night. If you need curtains to block light, keep them the length of the windows and have the color blend with the walls rather than contrasting. You might be able to bring in a tropical print on the curtains without it being too much contrast...or use a tropical print on the bed.

Can you bring in some plants? Having a few tropical plants in the room will definitely bring the outdoors in.

A rattan headboard and chair or two would work, and make the room more inviting.

Maybe you can do something clever with the hardware on the dresser...or even do an interesting paint job or put wallpaper or decoupage on the drawers, since they have panels...I like the wardrobe as is.
lisa53 is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 07-20-2019, 05:17 PM

You made me laugh and feel special. Thank you.

What if you went wild with the bed covers (Williams Sonoma example), switched to shades (maybe light color honeycomb cellular), and added plants? Your view is stunning and you want to highlight that.

And I love simplicity and the guitars. DH hung his 2 best guitars on the wall and they looked great—and the brackets he made released them easily when he wanted to play. I love having your personality in the room.

Attachment

amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Decor
Old 07-20-2019, 05:24 PM

I might need more pics because I think you might want to rearrange your furniture. Can the bed go on the long wall where the dresser with TV is?

Curtains need to go, they are too long, too dark and the diamond pattern with the way you have them tied is distracting. Can you do plantation shutters? Or bamboo shades? Or curtains that fit inside the windows. You can use a tension rod.

Wall color...experiment with a variety of greens with white trim. Swiss mocha is a standard trim shade of white. Possibly a yellow but could be tricky.

I love Amigas suggestion of bed linens.

If there’s room, a sisal rug. Ceiling fan?

Go to Pinterest and search for rain forest inspired bedroom or tropical,bedroom. You will probably find some bright colors to use as a pop.

Can I just come do it with you??????
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

anabel12

Old 07-20-2019, 05:25 PM

I think rattan type blinds would look good. Remember the matchstick roll up blinds? A grown up version with room darkening backing would look good. I have some that have a little balance from 3 day blinds. I like a app's suggestion of wicker/rattan headboard and a chair or two. The hardest thing will be avoiding a theme-park look once you get more ideas!
anabel12 is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 07-20-2019, 05:25 PM

These are Levolors from Lowe’s, so probably reasonable.

I like white. I’d lighten that room with some white. It’s a great room.
Attachment

trexteach

Blanche Devereaux's room
Old 07-20-2019, 05:58 PM

If you're a Golden Girls fan, how about a Blanche Devereaux bedroom.
Attached Images

Sign in to view image. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
trexteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 07-20-2019, 06:21 PM

I love your idea to bring the outdoors into your bedroom. I usually like rooms that do this in subtle ways. You don't necessarily have to paint the walls green but adding touches of natural elements is a classic way to approach your design. Amiga's suggested bedspread would be a wonderful touch. Adding several natural textures on the layered on the bed might be nice.

Have you considered changing your window treatments? Using a natural woven shade with curtains mounted near the ceiling to give the appearance of a high ceiling would be a nice element. The shades could remain raised to allow everyone to appreciate your view. I've seen this used before and it looks impressive.

I think less is more when using a "theme" in homes and like the suggestion of the outdoors and not obvious statements.

Attachment

Last edited by Renea; 07-20-2019 at 08:29 PM..
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 07-20-2019, 06:38 PM

This bench at the foot of your bed could be handy and an additional natural element. It's fun to spend your money, Ima.
Attachment

Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

Quack!

Old 07-20-2019, 07:15 PM

I like the natural textures in this room. I think it would be easy to put this together on any budget. You can add more greens with your pillows and a photo collage of leaf prints or flowers from your area.
Attachment

Quack! is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 07-20-2019, 07:35 PM

Ooooooh, Quack, I love that room! Great texture.

sonoma

Old 07-20-2019, 08:00 PM

I like a pale peach for the wall. Light wood blinds if you need privacy. Or cream fabric blinds. Bring in tropical print with the bedding. I agree with adding some rattan furniture
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

happygal

Turquoise
Old 07-21-2019, 12:46 AM

And a warm tan color throw pillows. White micro mini blinds inside mount. Sheer texture drapes over the blinds but not floor length. Rods wide enough that you can clear the window

Your bed could be bigger. Get a headboard.

Love the palm bedding! Houseplants. Yes, mount guitars on the wall.
happygal is offline   Reply With Quote

happygal

Old 07-21-2019, 12:51 AM

https://images.app.goo.gl/aai1wxouncebssx68
happygal is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Windows
Old 07-21-2019, 04:19 AM

Get wooden shades that go up and down. All you need is a valance on the windows running along the top so light can come in the rest of the day for the plants.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

Old 07-21-2019, 04:46 AM

Love your windows and flooring!
Blinds, or different window covering options would let you control the lighting and coloring (a lot of green from the plants) into your room.

The suggestion with that pic of a neutral rug would look nice with a neutral paint on the walls

Your room also has a corner that would be perfect for a comfortable chair!!

Just my preference, but I'm not a fan of bold/loud plant bedspread prints. I think you'll have plenty of that with your view of your outside plants. Seems like adding a bold plant bedspread plus the view of all your green from the plants outside would be too much. Trexteach, thanks for the visual!

I really like Quacks picture and suggestions. That pic looks so calm and relaxing! Renea also has a wonderful idea of less is more.

You have so many options! Enjoy!
LazyLake is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Bedroom Makeover
Old 07-21-2019, 08:55 AM

I would select two shades of green for the room. I would use the darker shade to accent one wall and the lighter shade for the rest.

I am thinking a spa like bedroom that you would find in a rainforest location. Like maybe at a boutique hotel.

Since you already have dark wood toned floors I would change the drapes to something lighter. It will give the room more brightness. I would go with an off white and make the tie backs something that goes with your rug. Wide burlap like ribbon or maybe raffia.

I would get a large area rug to go under the bed. It should be large enough to leave a walking path all around the edges of the bed. That way when you get out of bed your feet would be on the rug. I would get a light brown natural grass looking rug like the ones pictured from previous posters. It may take some looking to get the one that has that dried grass look but would feel comfortable to bare feet. Might even be an outdoor rug.

https://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs...SABEgLo2vD_BwE

I would go with an off white bed covering. Then I would get sheets that are tan or light brown. The bedspread should have some texture and look very natural not shiny. Then I would buy some throw pillows that have the green leaves and perhaps some bright colored jungle birds and also some that are the same shade as your rug.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Becky-Ca...-306112748-_-N

https://www.amazon.com/Ammybeddings-...gateway&sr=8-2

https://www.amazon.com/Emvency-Decor...ateway&sr=8-11

You will need some tall plants in your room. Real or silk. Either will work.

Have fun with it! Colors Shapes Textures
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

Ima Spedtcher

Old 07-22-2019, 06:39 PM

Omg! You guys give great suggestions!

All of you have also reinforced what real life friends have had to say about the curtains which is to get rid of them. To be fair, they came with the house and I hate deciding on window coverings so I don’t.

Not sure if anyone is reading this since it is now on the second page, but it would be rude not to respond. So I found a duvet cover very similar to what amiga shared and it is sitting in my cart. I also found a jute or maybe a seagrass rug to put under the bed (also sitting in my cart). I’m so torn on the window coverings amiga shared or bamboo room darkening shades. I love tons of light so I prefer the white ones, but DH works weird shifts and sometimes needs the room dark. I might have DH decide that one.

I wonder if I could do a banana plant in the room. I could totally put some monstera cuttings in a vase though since it is growing wild in the yard.
Ima Spedtcher is offline   Reply With Quote