Special Education

nonverbal

>

special ed

special ed

nonverbal
Old 11-12-2005, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a 4th grade student that is totally nonverbal, due to apraxia. Is there any help out there for students with such problems? Does anyone know some good, practical assistive technology devices to help this student communicate in a verbal world?

pjm

pjm

Boardmaker
Old 11-13-2005, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

HI
get Boardmaker, it's a picture communication computer program that you can use to make this student all kinds of communication pictures.
Have you talked to your speech teacher, she/he can also help you come up with ideas
Does the child have a dynavox? it's a talking computer...it's great...and could be written into an IEP for the child...it is quite expensive to purchase so if the parents insurance doesn't cover it they could/should push for the school district to provide it for the child...
hope this helps
Sixtiesbabe

Sixtiesbabe

Writing with Symbols
Old 11-29-2005, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hi.
I recently was introduced to software called Writing with Symbols. I actually like it better than Boardmaker. Most of my students are non-verbal. Teachers can use the software to create social stories, picture schedules/prompts. Students can use it to type out their own messages and stories. There is an option where the computer says what you write, as well as prints a picture for it. Students love this feature.
Consider a few message strips- laminate them and put them on a ring the student carries with him (perhaps on belt loop). These should be simple phrases he needs for every day communication. Then he can whip one out and show people to express his needs.
Talk to your Speech & Language Pathologist for more ideas.