Special Education

out of control classroom

>

brande

brande

out of control classroom
Old 11-23-2005, 06:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi, I am a first year teacher teaching students with emotional and behavior disorders 3-5th grade. The beginning of the year was fine. But I have lost control of my classroom completely. Well I have no administration support. I have been told no DT's. I know and understand that my kids have behavior problems and suspending them is what they want. And that doesn't work. I have been told my the adminstrator that they don't have time to deal with my kids. I have a level system and for punishment students have to eat breakfast and lunch in my room and no recess but some days that works and some days it doesn't. My level system works pretty good b/c my kids hate to stay in for recess and for lunch. But lately nothing has been working. My kids are divided across my room and they have dividers to seperate them. They are constantly rewarded for the good things they do. I have a token economy and on friday's they earn a movie party. I am constontly giving verbal praise. But nothing is working right now. I am just not really sure what to do or where to go from here. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions please let me know. Thanks

Ruth

Ruth

Don't give up!
Old 11-26-2005, 06:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Brande~

Don't give up! I have learned a lot over the years about what works and what doesn't work. . . . .it takes experience. Here are some suggestions:

1) Typically, taking things from students does not work (i.e. recess); however, there are always exceptions

2) The token economy system is a good idea - is the movie the kid's choice or yours?
a) Put together a list of what the students want to work for - you
will have to decide what you can and can not deliver

b) Students are more likely to work for something that they have
chosen

3) Try to have enough reward choices to rotate so that the students do
not get tired of them

It is hard to recommend a lot when I have not seen your class, but I hope this helps you!
Do you have another teacher or school psychologist who can help you out?
Good Luck!!
Nan

Nan

out of control class
Old 11-27-2005, 03:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Your students may need rewards more frequently than Friday. I would continue the Friday rewards but also include some rewards that they can work towards everyday. Maybe have them earn recess instead of taking it away. Set a point required to particpate in recess or points needed to sit by a friend for a sublject or at lunch. I prefer kids earning their rewards instead of punishing them. My kids work for recess and Fun Friday minutes. We play games and do puzzles, online games etc on Friday afternoon.

ejs

Behavior Tracking sheets
Old 11-28-2005, 05:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I don't know if you already do, but I would use some type of behavior tracking sheets. Divide the sheet into periods and if the students do whatever is expected of them the earn some many points for that period. You could then set it up so that the students have to have a so many points to earn lunch, recess and so forth. I have also found it helpful to have the students set a goal of how many points they want to earn for the day. This gives them something to work for as well as provides them with a visual for how well they are doing in the classroom. Hope this helps some! Keep trying new things, something is bound to work!
ejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Bonnie

Bonnie

Behavior Team
Old 11-29-2005, 12:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I had a group of boys that were BD and formed a track team for the end of the day last 30 minutes or so... we all ran on the days we were all able to keep things together behaviorally--did not make tshirts for the group but you could do that as a class project.. we ran on outdoor track but see what is available to you. Good Luck!

Angie55

I have the same problem....
Old 11-29-2005, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I teach at RTF and my students range from the ages of 11-15. I do only have 9 students which are all males. They have both emotional and behavioral issues. I feel as if i leave every afternoon as a failure. I have IEP's that i am supposed be completing and the students all refuse the work. I average 7 restraints a day and I actually just got off 4.5 months of light duty because of an injury from work. (slipped disk in my neck and tore a muscle) I will try to have all group activities but, then they just toss the paper in the trash. I dont know i taught in a private school last year and i feel completly overwhelmed.
Angie55 is offline   Reply With Quote
teri122

teri122

try this
Old 12-01-2005, 07:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I use a ticket system for everything. TO motivate them to write, for homework, for staying on task. I give out tickets for everything. They are rewards that they get that moment, they do not have to wait until Friday to benefit for good behavior. On MOndays I pull out three tickets and give away a dollar prize. They are usually unusual things that the kids like, so they compete who is going to get the most tickets. This is pretty easy to incoperate with any incentive program.

hoptech

Old 12-02-2005, 01:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I use the ticket method with 6-8th graders who are low functioning SDC sts. find it works best to grab their attention at the start of the period.
I will focus on a student whois doing what I have asked of them and say, "Thank you Dustyn for listening and being on the correct page." The students accumalate tickets all week and then on Friday (last 15 minutes of class) I do a drawing for prizes (I pick up inexpensive things from Wal Mart, Target, dollar stores etc.) Here is the catch on drawing the winning tickets, I walk around and focus on students who have had a good week (on task, participating, turn in their homework etc) I look at their ticket number and call out their #. I don't have many classroom management problems because of the tickets; the students look forward to Fridays and behave the entire week.
hoptech is offline   Reply With Quote
TFT

TFT

Why am I always the jaded comment?
Old 12-17-2005, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I love my job! I work with boys 11-13 with ED in a seperate facility because their home schools couldn't handle them.
I have been around and I will tell you why my kids learn and behaviors are at a minimum (minimum for our field, not minimum for "Normal" kids). I have a supportive administation and colleagues. If I have a problem teachers from all rooms and floors come running. If I invent a consequence my principal backs it up. We demand parents come in, or kids stay after, or they clean up their own body fluids they have flung.

I have worked in schools with no cohesive plan and prindcipals who says that discipline is all up to me. Can't be done. I needs back up. And being trained to restrain is very helpful.

My advice - for your happiness, find a place where you will be part of a respected team. Unless you truley care about the kids you have now and want to imporve your program form the outside in. I was not strong enough. I found a good program and fit in. And I don't often feel like a failure on my way home. In 4 years I have returned about 6 kids to public school. And i find that amazing.
Patricia

Patricia

Emotional Support Teacher
Old 03-12-2006, 10:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Hi,
I've used a system similar to the other teachers. It's called "behavior bingo" Make bingo cards up with specific behaviors in the blocks...such as "sitting in seat", " finishing work", "sitting quiet", "helping classmate"....if they can't read...use pictures too (boardmaker is great for this)....
I tape the sheets to their desk and use a bingo marker to mark their sheets. I keep a bingo store full of little things...MacDonalds toys, erasers, pencils..etc. At lunch or end of day they collect their bingo reward.

astorteacher

astorteacher

sped teacher at a residence
Old 09-15-2006, 04:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I think I am certainly in the minority here, but it seems to me that b-mod systems like tickets and movies are not working for you and simply heaping more on probably will not help. If I were you, I would scrap the whole thing and start over.
Greet the kids on Monday and announce it's a brand new day. Remind them that nothing is for nothing. I would announce that they no longer have the privledge of learning from you unless they earn it by showing respect for themselves and others. I only have one rule in my class, treat others the way you want to be treated. I covers almost all behavioral problems and the kids can learn that they must earn the respect of others.
As for work, forget the group lessons. They are not ready to work as a group. Prepare interesting, individualized work that they will earn by being cooperative and following YOUR directions. You know how to teach, they just won't let you. There will probably be a defiant leader, and you will probably have to "take up the gauntlet" a couple of times.
THIS WILL NOT BE EASY!!! You will go through alot before they realize you mean what you say. But in the longrun it will be worth it. Rememberm you are in charge, not them. Ill be looking to hear how it is going. Good Luck

MrW(-U)XL

Been There; Still There
Old 09-15-2006, 07:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I am in the same situation. I have absolutely no support. I have to devise new ways to control the class everyday. I have to use at least 10 different approaches each day. Many days you don't have any success and some days things go along great. I have a Behavior chart already made with 7 periods, breaks, free time, lunch, etc,, If you desire it all I need is a e-mail and I will send it to you. It is already on word and is easily modifiable for anyone anywhere. It works great. It has rewards for each 15 minute period of each day. I usually make the students fill in each of their own evals. It is done every 15 minutes of each day. This is how often I have to address Behavior Mods to each student. 2 years ago I was tackled, kicked, spit upon, stabbed, etc, you get the picture. Today, I may have to do minute by minute redirection, but I haven't been touched this whole year. Last year, the only time I was hit, was purely by accident. If I got hit or attacked, my students know that they will lose everything for the next hour. All got the same punishmet for the actions of one. This also makes students bond that really don't care for each other. They become a team, whether they like it or not. They can not move, no talking, no pc, nothing. Just sit there and stare at the wall. I ignore them, and this is probably the worst thing for them. I give them absolutely no reaction. This drives them crazy. To the point that they are appologizing and begging for forgiveness. It usually takes about 30 seconds of a blank stare. With this look they know that you are not putting up with there behavior. It works for me.
MrW(-U)XL is offline   Reply With Quote

covert15

Behavior Mod Form
Old 03-29-2007, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Hi - My email is class305a@yahoo.com - I would love a copy of your behavior modification form.

Thanks!
covert15 is offline   Reply With Quote
shollow1

shollow1

Behavior Modification
Old 04-10-2007, 12:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I would also like a copy sent to me. My e-mail is shollow1@houstonisd.org.

Thanks!
SueLD

SueLD

Set
Old 05-13-2007, 03:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Please e-mail me your plan on Word. I am desperate also.

slhsd@aol.com

Thanks!

Sped4Me

Behavior Chart
Old 08-31-2007, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Hi, if your behavior chart is still available, I would love to have a copy of it. Email: cgwrogers@sbcglobal.net
Thanks
Sped4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
kell1223

kell1223

azcame
Old 01-30-2009, 10:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

that is a good idea - tickets for positive behavior. That may work. I don't want to buy gifts like movie tickets but how about a barthroom pass to use whenever they want. Any ideas????
sdykema

sdykema

Teacher
Old 09-15-2009, 01:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Would you be able to send me a copy of the behavior plan as well...I realize this post is from a couple of years ago, but could really use the support - thanks!!
sdykema

sdykema

Teacher
Old 09-15-2009, 01:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Please send the behavior chart to my email address at stevedykema@wi.rr.com - thanks!!

amyroseweir

Old 02-17-2011, 09:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I read your post and am in a very similar situation with the exception that I am a student teacher. I have begun my practicum experience in a classroom where the teacher has lost all faith in the kids and the kids don't respect him and act out constantly. On my first day, we did not finish a single lesson plan in all six class periods. By third period I had lost count of how many students had been expelled from the classroom, written up for bad behavior, or made to call home to their parents. I had to break up a fight and even witnessed the teacher being cussed at, accosted and locked out of the room. The students said things to me like, "Our you gonna be our new teacher" and "I hope you don't teach like him". I witnessed bullying, cheating, foul language and much more and although I tried to intercede I did not feel experienced enough to do so. He was so busy disciplining the most outrageous behavior that these normal infractions sliped right by him.I am a sophmore college student and have never actually done any teaching aside from tutoring at my college. The teacher is completely broken and has completely lost faith in what he does. Even though this is supposed to be a learning experience for me all I am learning is what not to do. He seems completely content with handing over the teaching reins to me while he spends the day yelling and disciplining this unruly group of kids. He has offered to let me teach as often as I want and I deperately want to try a remedy this unhealthy classroom environment without criticizing the teacher. Although I disagree with his classroom management I do agree that the majority or the students seem completely uncontrollable. I don't know what to do but I have been searching ProTeacher for some ideas because he said that I can pretty jump in when ever I want and try to deliver the lessons. I want to find some way to get these children interested and find some reward system to promote good behavior because his punishment system is obviously not working out. This is a sixth and seventh grade social studies classroom. Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated. I really want to help these students!!!!!!!!
amyroseweir is offline   Reply With Quote
twix2219

twix2219

Out of control 8th grade Spanish Class!!!!!!
Old 03-10-2011, 02:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Well I am a first year Spanish teacher and My 8th grade class is out of control. It is a catholic school and you think they would have respect for the teacher. I have tried everything from points systems, behavior charts, rewards, and I even allowed them to work on a project for teacher 's week. They disrupt me class they throw things that hit me. They ruined a girls backpack with lotion. Detention, lunch time detention, all works. But for my class it has been bad from the beginning of the year and for me i am the third Spanish teacher in a 6 year stretch. they had no respect and the others could not control the class either. The Principal does not have time she told me to handle it my self. I have called parents and nothing seems to work.

What you have to do is go in and change seats. That is what I am doing tomorrow, and you have to give them enough book for the class time. Anything fun you planed is off. That until you get the respect you need it will be book until further notice and anyone who fails to listen a phone call will go home and they will have detention or lunch detention. GRADE EVERYTHING AS A QUIZ!!! When they see their grade going down they will wise up. It has worked for a friend who teaches math for five years. It is more work for you but it will tell who is in change. My 8th will be writing a paper on respect to the teacher and classmates. Hopefully with all this said the good students will say to the bad ones we are doing this because of you so stop so we can have fun. Book work is boring and old school but it works.
Good luck!!!!
Heidi43

Heidi43

Behavior chart
Old 05-25-2011, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I would love for you to send me the behavior chart in my e-mail. I have really difficult kids this year in sped. They are classified LD, but they exhibit many ED behaviors. My email address is hhorvath#kent.edu

Thank you!

Heidi

agc007

Copy of chart
Old 06-02-2012, 07:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Please email me a copy of the chart as well to agc007#hotmail.com
agc007 is offline   Reply With Quote
anosako

anosako

Alt
Old 09-12-2012, 05:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Hello I would like the behavioral list! Please email me at anosako [at] gmail [dot] com. Thank you for your time!
Miss molly b

Miss molly b

Behavior problems
Old 09-01-2014, 12:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

First thing which was taught to me in college was don't take it personally, do not try teaching curriculum because if they will not listen to you while in an incident and don't feed into their outbursts. Here is an example. I had a 5 yr old kinder student who was the only child then mommy got pregnant so he knew he would not get all the attention he craved. So he felt he could get the attention from me. He walked over to my library and started pitching books everywhere and then smiling at me. Most teachers would have flipped out. That's not the right reaction. Just looked at him and asked if he was having fun and then ignored him. My principal came into the room and grabbed him by the ear taking him out of the room. At kinder graduation, he came in and said I'm sorry I was such a bad boy. I called that I'm not the baby anymore syndrome. I told a lot of my graduate. Classmates and they thought I got it during a research session. I said no I created it.