Help

Magnolia Room

rewards???

>

Dorsie

rewards???
Old 08-07-2011, 12:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just finished a week long course in RC1 and can't wait to implement some ideas. I'm a little overwhelmed with "teacher language" because I find that part challenging, not saying..great job, let's see who has the quietest group, etc.... I am very expressive and emotional, speak with excitement in my voice , so I feel this will be very hard for me. Does your time-out chair face the wall or the rest of the class? How long are they sitting there? Do any of you have a group reward system, like a marble jar? How do you handle not having this when other classrooms do? I am rambling, so I will just thank you for your help and give it my best shot this year.

kit1024

Old 08-07-2011, 01:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm new to RC (just reading books) and I am going to try it out this year. I am going to try NO rewards, even group ones. Last year I tried doing Discipline without Stress (which is similar in some ways) and we tried 1 week without ANY rewards. They were better behaved than they had been all year! (and this was in late March). After that week I brought back some of the rewards, and behavior wasn't as good. I don't know if there is a direct correlation there or not (as I wasn't doing RC), but I'm going to try no rewards at all this year.

The teacher language is going to be challenging for me, too, although it makes a lot of sense! I'm sure I will once in a while slip up and say something like "I like how so and so is lining up quietly". I am going to leave a chart of examples of all the types of teacher language and different reminders in a few places around the classroom - hopefully this helps!

Oh, I will add that I will still be doing occasional celebrations with my class or something just to have fun. For the past 5 years I've done a reading incentive where the kids earn gumball stickers on a gumball machine for minutes read at home. Once they fill up the gumball machine they get to chew gumballs during DEAR time. I still love gumball machines, so even though I won't do the incentive, I will have days maybe once/month that the whole class will get to chew gumballs just for fun. I'll also still show the movies I usually show (ones that go along with books we've read), they just won't be a "reward"

Last edited by kit1024; 08-07-2011 at 01:31 PM.. Reason: thought of something else

craftyteach1

Old 07-31-2012, 07:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This is something that I've been wondering about. This is only my second year to teach but I feel that I was so stuck on rewards last year because my school almost forced us to be that way. I am going to try out not having rewards but saw an idea for a group reward with Mr. Potato head and may use that just as a side thing but overall will try to go with none. I'll be looking back at this board for more ideas.