Magnolia Room

Kindergarten morning activity

>

Camper1

Kindergarten morning activity
Old 08-21-2011, 02:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello wonderful teachers,
I would love to hear ( or read ) what you do with your kindergarten students when they come in on the first day. I would like to have a coloring sheet out for them but am wondering can I do that before I do my guided discovery lesson with crayons? The first day will be crazy and I need to have something in place for them to do while I take care of parents, criers etc. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

AddieJ

Old 08-22-2011, 06:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I do coloring sheets! I make a name page for each child using bubble letters they can fill in and adding pictures (beg sound pics for the letters in their name). I use the font program "Fonts4Teachers". (I attached a sample.)
Like you said, I want to have an activity for the children waiting for them at their tables so I can talk with parents, point out where supplies go, etc., etc., etc!
During the year, my kinders usually have manipulatives or book boxes on their tables first thing in the morning but since this is first day, they haven't been introduced to any of those things. They are familiar with coloring sheets & crayons and that's good for more than one reason!

After we do our first read-aloud, we have morning meeting and a get-to-know you activity, then we discuss restrooms & procedures and go down to there to see it "in action". When we return to our room, I read another story (usually Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes) and we do our guided discovery of crayons. During the practice part, they draw a picture of themselves and I can walk around and reiterate the points about crayons from our GD.

It's okay to let them use crayons first thing - you can mention some positive things you saw when the children were using crayons at their tables. GD is really about exploring all the materials the children are going to work with and getting the kids excited about the materials and helping them generate some new ways they can be used.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Name coloring page.pdf (27.6 KB, 210 views)

Camper1

Old 08-23-2011, 09:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you for your reply. I love your ideas and the name page, I will have to do that.