Need some advice!

>

amytee63

Need some advice!
Old 08-24-2011, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi all,
Sorry in advance if I'm long-winded!

I went to RC1 this summer and have been really excited about implementing everything in my room. Morning meeting is going really well, and I've been working VERY hard on changing my language. We've been working on hopes & dreams, and are in the process of rule creating. I have a large group of firsties this year (25 to be exact), and for the most part, they are doing wonderfully.

I do have 2 very difficult students, however. One has ADHD, and the meds aren't so effective-I think he's had a growth spurt & it will be a month before he can get in to the dr. He is also a repeater, so it's extra important that he starts off on the right foot this year. He literally wanders around the room ALL day, and has not been able to complete any work that we've done. He's not particularly loud or bothering other students, but it's driving ME nuts!

My other, more concerning student is extremely loud and explosive. He was literally climbing the walls in my room yesterday--not sure how that works, but he was up there. He screams, throws things, jumps off of desks/tables, and does the whole drop to the floor like a limp noodle thing so I can't budge him when he refuses to walk out to take a break. Last year in K, he had to drop down to 1/2 day b/c he couldn't handle a full day. He's already on a behavior tracker, and talking with him doesn't have any effect b/c he just closes his eyes and screams/runs away whenever I approach him. We've been in school for 10 days and he's already been removed from the room almost every day by the principal. I'm struggling here because all of the other kiddos are working so hard to ignore his behavior, but it's nearly impossible when he's on top of them and running laps around our rug at meeting time.

Whew! Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

emg123

Hi Amytee63
Old 08-26-2011, 10:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I wish that had some magic advice for you, but unfortunately I do not. I am glad that for the most part Responsive Classroom is going well for you. For difficult child #1, I would contact the parents and explain to them what is going on. I would suggest that they try to get an earlier appointment. Perhaps they could get on a cancellation wait list or tell their doctor that it is extremely important that they get in to see him/her before a month's time. Getting the meds adjusted asap will benefit both the individual child and the whole class, not to mention you!

When I read your description of child #2, it reminded me of a student that I had for two years on a row. (I teach a 2/3 mulitage class.) Her behavior was just like your child #2 in Kindergarten. Her mother refused to have her evaluated because she had a bad experience with special education regarding her son in another city. I had her for second and third grade. She would scream, crawl under tables, flop down on the floor, bolt from the room, etc. Her behavior was extremely disruptive and so much time was wasted on her emotional outbursts that could have been better used on teaching and learning! Our hands were tied because her mom refused to have her evaluated. By the end of third grade she began to get physical with others and would make threats like "I'm going to kill ______!" She was suspended a few times. FINALLY her mom agreed to testing! Her behavior was escalating out of control. Because of my experience, I think that your school psychologist should come in and observe. Punishment will not deter the behavior. This child has emotional issues that need to be addressed asap. The longer you wait, the more the bad behavior will escalate.

Sorry I could not give you a Responsive Classroom fix, but this goes beyond what RC alone can fix.

amytee63

emg123
Old 08-26-2011, 06:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for your response Thankfully, this year one of our school psychs is housed in our building, so I think I will be paying her a visit on Monday! I agree that is probably the best thing to do--I certainly don't want any of my other kiddos to get in the way of one of his outbursts & get hurt. I've had students like this in the past, but with RTI and all of our new inclusion practices in the building, I have a feeling it will be an uphill battle

Miss-G

document!
Old 09-01-2011, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If you haven't already started, make you sure document, document, document every time student #2 is disruptive/violent/etc. Also make sure you document what interventions you have already tried to curb this behavior in the classroom. It's a pain in the neck, but the paper trail is important, especially because of RTI procedures. You need to show that there is a clear problem, you've already tried all the interventions you can think of, or have been suggested by other professionals (like the school psychologist), and the student is still struggling, and needs to seriously be evaluated for the upper level of the RTI pyramid. Good luck!

commagirl

Old 09-14-2011, 07:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You have my sympathies...I have several special cases this year too. Just to echo what others have said, document as much as you can and definitely try to get the guidance counselor, school psychologist, etc. involved ASAP. We have only been in school a month, and I've already had meetings or scheduled meetings for several children.

Best of luck!