how many use clip chart in gr 1 for behavior? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

First Grade

how many use clip chart in gr 1 for behavior?

>

twinmom+1

how many use clip chart in gr 1 for behavior?
Old 09-03-2011, 11:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have it and explained it to the kids but now I am feeling like it will be hard on the kids-- I am new to gr 1.. of course I want them to behave so maybe its good if they are "afraid" to move their clip down...how do you have a child move their clip down--whisper quietly- but class will still see them move it..or what?? I am just wondering.. it was great in 3rd grade last yr but I am unsure with first!

twinmom+1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Irish

I us it
Old 09-03-2011, 11:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am not sure if I like it or not. Somethimes I think doing nothing is better than the whole behavior mod thing. It is so much work and seems to be more distracting than the child who distracts the class. But anyway I do use it. I move the clips down or up not the child. If I am far away from it I have had kids pretend to move theirs and I don't have a clue where it should be. I don't announce who's clip is going down. They all can see and if they can't see then they just wonder who it could be. Sometimes if a child is acting up I move everyone but his/hers. By the time I move everyone's clip that person shapes up and I move it up too.
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote

saphiredey

Old 09-03-2011, 12:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm using a clip chart for the first time this year. I'm still not sure I like it, but am going to try it for the year. So far I've combined it with tickets that the kids earn. They have to have 10 yellow tickets to move to the next level. They need to keep up with it, I have 1st graders so I have them put the number on the ticket (ex: ticket 1, 2, 3, etc.). We count all of our tickets at the end of everyday to make sure everyone is on the right color. I also have them move down, but only for extremely disruptive behavior or being extremely unkind. Minor behaviors are managed by the yellow tickets. It is a lot of work right now, but I hope it will start to level off... my higher kids are doing extremely well keeping track of their ticket numbers, and I hope to get my lower students to the same point... but it may take some time. The counting at the end of the day helps (I have math at the end of the day so we incorporate counting our tickets into math time.)
saphiredey is offline   Reply With Quote

mlr42002

Old 09-03-2011, 12:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am doing it with my first graders for the first time and I love it. I don't move as many down but as soon as I tell one child to move up they all start improving. My students dont really get that upset when they have to move down because they know they have a chance to move back up.
mlr42002 is offline   Reply With Quote

lovetolaugh

Clip Chart
Old 09-03-2011, 01:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I used the clipchart starting last year in 4th grade and it was amazing so I decided it to try it with my firsties this year. I love it! The kids don't seem to get too upset about moving down, but they will work hard to move it up. If I go over to move up clips the others start doing the right thing to get theirs moved up too. I have the kids color in a sheet at the end of the day to show what color their clip ends up on so their parents can see. On Friday, I check their paper and give out rewards based on the colors. If they have all green they get 30 min. of fun time. If they have all green and at least one yellow they get a scratch n sniff sticker and their fun time. If they have all green and at least one orange they get a sucker and their fun time. And if they have all green and at least 2 reds they get a prize from my prize box. If they have any blue or purple they lose 5 min. of their fun time. If they land on pink any day of the week they lose their entire fun time. The kids seem to work hard for yellows, oranges, and reds. I like that even if they make a couple mistakes they can still turn their day around and move back up.

lovetolaugh is offline   Reply With Quote

NJteachfirst

Clip Chart
Old 09-03-2011, 01:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I really like it too. I only have one space to move up and you have to do something above and beyond to do it. If they do move up they earn a punch on their punch card and a happy rock in their bucket. (I do Bucket fillers.) 10 punches earns them a choice in my first grade catalog. They really love choosing, even though they are all freebies like having a guest reader come in, etc! (I would attach our catalog but I used lettering delights...)
NJteachfirst is offline   Reply With Quote

firstgradeco

first time
Old 09-03-2011, 02:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm using the clip chart for the first time this year. I had name originally written on each clip and have since changed it to a button for each individual child. I think this will work better as it is a bit more anonymous. In just introducing it my students seem to understand the concept and want to attain the highest level. I have really talked up the highest level.
firstgradeco is offline   Reply With Quote

beachmom68

Clip chart with buttons
Old 09-03-2011, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Can you explain the buttons on the clip chart? How do you know which button belong to which student?

Thanks!
beachmom68 is offline   Reply With Quote

twodals

Old 09-03-2011, 06:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I've been using it with my first graders for several years and LOVE IT! In fact, I've done away with tickets and prizes. Kids love it and I've had a good response from parents too.
twodals is offline   Reply With Quote

AD

Old 09-03-2011, 07:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I know a lot of first grade teachers use one, but I don't and never have. I have my reasons as to why I don't use one, and I've never had a problem not having one.

Does it matter if the class actually sees the child move it, because won't they be able to look at it and see who is on what color (or whatever you use for each level)?

As far as being afraid to move their clip down, those students who may frequently be the ones to move their clips down probably won't be afraid. You might get that occasional "good kid" who moves his or her clip down and is devastated by it.

I've heard that the ones who are on the lowest (or worst behaved level) are often there whereas the good kids almost never move their clips down. I guess I don't really like that a child's behavior is posted for anyone to see. But everyone has their own opinions and that's just mine!

AD is offline   Reply With Quote

tripteach

clippety chart
Old 09-04-2011, 07:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I like it because it reminds me to recognize those who are doing are doing the right thing. I teach in a school where there are many behavior challenges. Too often, I get focused on distinguishing the poor behaviors and forget about the kids who are always doing the right thing. I forget to recognize them. This chart is a great visual for me to be able to better pay attention to those doing the right thing. Since it is also very visual I think it is perfect for elementary where many learners have this as their main learning style.

I have tried years before when I have had no chart of any kind, just verbal warnings- it seemed that I was doing way too much "please stop that because..." and then 2 minutes later saying the same thing and then again. The chart stops the kids in their tracks. It makes the majority of them stop and think"Do I really want the next consequence?"

I surely like this better than the red yellow green where no one ever got to move back up on the chart. That was pure negativity!
tripteach is offline   Reply With Quote

SuzieQB

Accountability
Old 09-04-2011, 07:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

My kids move their own clips -- it gives them PRIDE when they move up, and accountability and a chance to improve if they move down. I also send home the sheet each day (they color in where they are) for parents to see. When they get up to Outstanding, they get one of those motivational award cards that I sign and they are THRILLED (and the rest of the class is thrilled for them too!!). Parents love it, subs love it, and it works. I don't put names on, only numbers, so I can use the same clothespins each year. Yes, some kids know EVERYONE'S number, but it's slightly more anonymous for visitors to our room. No one wants to move their clip down, but the great thing about this system is that you ALWAYS have the opportunity to change up your behavior and move back up the chart. You're not stuck, you can always improve. Other systems never seem to reward the kids that are always making good choices, and that's the most important thing for me about the clip chart. BTW, I don't give any rewards related to what color they end on, etc. It is all about their own intrinsic pride.
SuzieQB is offline   Reply With Quote

sweetp422

Clip Chart in 1st
Old 09-04-2011, 09:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

This is the first time I've used the Clip Chart ever. I love it. One student who had to move down a few times the first week, didn't seem to care. Since I moved him up one time, for doing an exceptional job on an assignment, that seems to be his goal now. From now on, I am going to try to find a reason to move the students up who have a difficult time with behavior. That way I can encourage them throughout the day to stay on blue or move up again.
sweetp422 is offline   Reply With Quote

firstgradeco

buttons
Old 09-04-2011, 10:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Each student in my class is assigned a number and i wrote the numbers on the back of the clips. This was after they picked their clip from a bag. I wanted them to have ownership of selecting the clip. Eventually I'm sure they will figure out whose clip is whose but for now it is more anonymous. I also like that it is buttons as when adults(parents) come in the room they don't know where each student is on the chart. :-)
firstgradeco is offline   Reply With Quote

NJteachfirst

Just found a site
Old 09-04-2011, 12:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I just read a site where the teacher said that clips were turned backwards once moved up or down so that noone could see the number or name. That is an interesting idea...
NJteachfirst is offline   Reply With Quote

dottalvit

Old 09-04-2011, 02:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I am going to try it this year. I really like it because a child who is having a bad day can stil turn it around. For many years I have used a card pulling system. but once they pulled their card to warning, they gave up for the rest of the day. With this system, they know they can change it... we will see how it works.
dottalvit is offline   Reply With Quote