Help

BusyBoard

We don't want your student teachers!

>

cntryheart

We don't want your student teachers!
Old 11-17-2011, 05:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Schools are starting to refuse to take student teachers due to new teacher evaluations. When test scores make up 35% of a teacher's evaluation neither teachers nor the district are willing to give up their class for the time that a student teacher needs. All of this according to this article about schools near Nashville, TN http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...udent-teaching

I wonder how long it will take for this idea to spread. My principal said that he thinks that things are going to get so bad that people will leave the field and stop coming into the field. Then we will have a teacher shortage and they'll have to pay a fortune to get people to come back to the field. With this new article I'm starting to think that he may be right.

cntryheart is offline   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 11-17-2011, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Quote:
My principal said that he thinks that things are going to get so bad that people will leave the field and stop coming into the field. Then we will have a teacher shortage and they'll have to pay a fortune to get people to come back to the field
I actually don't think that would be a bad thing. First of all, we are SO far from a teacher shortage right now! Even if every ed school in the country stopped producing new teachers, effective immediately, large chunks of the classes of 2007-11 are still job hunting (if they haven't given up). There's such a glut of teachers and such a scarcity of positions that the idea of a shortage in the foreseeable future is kind of laughable.

Secondly, would it really be so awful if they started paying teachers what they're worth?
grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote

Katnmouse

Old 11-18-2011, 03:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

They are COUNTING on a mass exodus, and they WON'T be paying to get new teachers...they are going to up class sizes to accomodate the teachers who leave. (Physical room size limitations don't seem to matter either - cram them in!)

In my county, there were so many inquiring about retiring at the end of this year they had to hold a county wide meeting about retirement rather than fielding individuals' questions as is the norm. They said that the TCRS office in Nashville is overwhelmed with teachers trying to get their ducks in a row to retire.
Katnmouse is offline   Reply With Quote

starley

Old 11-18-2011, 04:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have student teacher's every year and I get what they are saying. When you have a ST, you have to turn over your class for a period of time. And if your job and/or pay is tied to student performance, teachers may not be willing to take the risk...
starley is offline   Reply With Quote

sweetp422

So Sad
Old 11-19-2011, 06:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Wow!! I never thought of it that way. I have a hard time being out, and having a substitute. My thinking is, "How can I teach my students if I'm not there?" I try to leave meaningful practice for a substitute, but let's face it, some un-teaching inadvertently happens when there's a sub.

It is scary to think that hard-working student teachers will not get the experience and/or job that they seek.

sweetp422 is offline   Reply With Quote