Help

Substitute Teachers

Would you have cancelled this job?

>

Sirsubalot

Would you have cancelled this job?
Old 11-04-2018, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Over two months ago, I accepted a job at a middle school I frequent, but I just learned of the teacher's identity just over a week ago.

Last year, a teacher was walking past me in the lounge, and said she does not like subs. I don't think her comment was directed at me, but she knew I was there.

Had I known her name, I would have not accepted the job, but I hate to cancel a job I had booked for over two months.
She knows I am her sub, otherwise I would have considered cancelling it regardless.

Would you have cancelled a job upon discovering the teacher openly does not like subs.?

Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

LostINRoom

LostINRoom

be a pro
Old 11-04-2018, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The attitude that someone has about anything can easily rub off anyone especially on impressionable minds. I would stay the course and if these students are actually pleasant and are respectful, you know that there's a next time in spite of this teacher's attitude toward a guest. Maybe this adult has strong feelings toward subs because of her own insecurities. Don't let this put you off.

GraceKrispy

Old 11-04-2018, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If you cancel, you run the risk of her hating you in particular even more than she hates other subs. This is your chance to do a bang-up job and be the sub who changes her mind

I would keep the job and just do my thing. If she already hates subs, you have nothing to lose, really.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

Well, the good news
Old 11-04-2018, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

is that she won't actually BE there...
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

Don't cancel
Old 11-04-2018, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Go in early and make sure you're ready. Do the best job ever. Show the teacher that subs ARE valuable.

mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

dietcoke99

maybe misunderstood?
Old 11-04-2018, 07:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I don't understand. How could a teacher "hate" subs? They are required. That is like saying that you hate bathrooms. Are you sure you didn't misunderstand her? Has she said anything ELSE negative about subs?

I would not even consider canceling this job, especially since the comment wasn't made to you - you overheard it (right?). It could look bad, and you did give your word. I like the poster that said that at least she wouldn't be there - great point! I would do the job and if it were still bothering me, I just wouldn't take any more jobs from her. Maybe ask her for clarification next time you see her or something if that would help clear the air. I truly think there was a misunderstanding, especially since she wasn't talking to you directly.

If all goes well, I might sortof exaggerate about how great her students were and just act like you didn't hear the remark when you talk to her next time. You obviously have something to talk to her about - how great her kids were! (cough, cough). If it still doesn't feel right, just don't go back. At least it is just a one-day job.
dietcoke99 is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

I do not understand
Old 11-04-2018, 07:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

For the life of me I do not understand why teachers often treat subs so poorly. When I was a full-time teacher for over 20 years I greatly valued subs, because after all, subs make it possible for teachers to take time off when needed.
CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 11-04-2018, 07:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Normally I would not be at all concerned, but I am already not permitted to work at four schools in the district, and I only know the reason in one of them.

I always try my best, but sometimes it does not matter, or I would not have been blocked from any schools.

A teacher who does not like subs is more likely to find something wrong, or invent something wrong. I cannot afford any complaints. I will just hope for the best.

I always make it a point to be early, but at this school, the office opens late, so being early will not help.
She also mentioned that she has difficult classes, although she did not say this directly to me.

I doubt she wants to speak directly to subs.

Sirsubalot

Old 11-04-2018, 08:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

This will be my 12th job this year at this school, and Friday will be # 13, so if she ignores me on Friday, that will be good news.

dietcoke99

Old 11-04-2018, 08:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Sirsubalot -
You are almost certainly doing a good job. The problem, I have found, is the lack of feedback given to subs. You were probably not the cause of being banned from these schools, in my opinion. We cannot improve if we are never given feedback. You ARE a good sub or you wouldn't be spending your free time on this list! The problem, I think, is that the schools/districts/teachers/whatever don't want to give feedback to subs because it would open a can of worms and cost time/energy. Everybody else gets feedback, except subs.
If you had been told about the problem/issue surrounding the incident(s), you likely could have fixed it with an explanation, an apology, telling how you would deal with a similar situation in the future, etc. We can't even defend ourselves because we don't know what we need to defend!
I think that since subs make so little money, no benefits, etc., that they don't want to deal with it and think that it is easier to just ban one sub and get the next one.
I think that the problem may also be that if subs were given feedback they might not take jobs from teachers that complain about us and cause a lack of subs. If we are kept in the dark we will still work for them.
At the very least we should KNOW why we were banned. I don't think this information should be unknown to the sub and make the sub left wondering what happened, which may be totally different from what we THINK the reason was. Not fair, I don't think.
Sorry this is so long, but this is one of my pet peeves. I have asked HR several times to give subs feedback, but it has fallen on deaf ears.

dietcoke99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 11-04-2018, 09:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I'm 95% sure that what the teacher meant was, "I hate having a sub." I could understand that sentiment. Of course it's nothing against the actual sub, it's just a TON of work as a teacher to be out for the day.

I don't know anyone who doesn't think putting together sub plans is a daunting/time consuming task. In fact, I was just out sick this past Wednesday. I was telling my coworker that I really should have stayed home on Thursday as well, but I didn't want to write the sub plans. She'd had the same experience the previous week.

Besides that, subs aren't trained in all of our instructional programs and initiatives and whatnot, so having a "regular day" with a sub simply isn't possible, even if they're the best sub in the world. I have to leave basic work and then feel anxious about getting behind on what was supposed to be taught that day.

I definitely appreciate our subs, but I hate being out too!
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Hailey23 nailed it.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Quote:
I'm 95% sure that what the teacher meant was, "I hate having a sub."
I'll bet you're right! I'd humbly (somewhat ) say that I have a darn good reputation as a sub... but I know in many cases how disruptive it is to the regular teacher and routine. It's not personal, it's just the way things work.

Some teachers are easier to work with than others, but I've never decided not to accept a job based on who the teacher is... not saying that others should not--if there's a true problem between a teacher and a sub (that can't be fixed), by all means, make that a deciding factor in whether or not to accept the assignment.

I would concur that in some districts subs are a commodity. We've had more than a few who've showed up once and never come back. I get why a teacher may not invest time in providing feedback to a sub. I work really hard at getting it--and it's rare that I get it through formal channels. (I did once request that the principal spend some time observing in my classroom.) But I also know that when we start acting like a commodity, we are going to be treated that way for certain.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 11-05-2018, 04:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

What you say does make sense, but in this case, I am quite sure that I interpreted her statement correctly.

I personally believe the reasons for my being banned are more a reflection on the ones responsible for the ban than me.

I have not been to two of the schools in 15 years, and now I know why. The 3rd school I last worked at six years ago.

I had only positive experiences at all these schools, so it is baffling.