Help

Substitute Teachers

long term sub

>

substeph

long term sub
Old 03-05-2019, 01:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have an interview for a long term kindergarten sub position this week. I've never done one before. Of course I don't know if I will get it but apparently it starts next week Has anyone on here done a long term sub?

Pros? Cons? I'm just curious do they mostly leave lesson plans or would I have to do it all? I'm a little nervous about the interview and just wondering how your experiences with long terms have gone... thanks

substeph is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 03-05-2019, 03:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I did one long-term job for a maternity leave. That was mid year and the teacher was coming back. She left lessons for me.

The other one I did was a medical leave. That teacher did not plan to return, so I did all the lessons.

I enjoyed both of them. I found it was easier than day-to-day subbing because I was able to have more consistency with the kids. (They were high school classes.)
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

No thanks!
Old 03-05-2019, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Unless you are looking for a full time position in the district it is way too much work for too little pay.
CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote

OneGreatSub

Old 03-05-2019, 08:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Do you enjoy subbing in kindergarten? I avoid it like the plague but have a friend who loves it. Assuming you like the little ones, I'd find out for sure in advance whether or not you have to "do it all" in terms of lesson planning and for how long. I once took a 6-week middle school assignment for the princely sum of $129/day and it felt like 6 years. So, there really is no one answer. If you enjoy 5 year olds, have a lot of stamina, and think the pay is enough, then give it some serious thought.
OneGreatSub is offline   Reply With Quote

substeph

Actually
Old 03-06-2019, 09:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I do not prefer anything under 2nd grade. It's just too hard for me. The only reason I'm even considering it is because they are paying the regular pay of a teacher. I would never consider it for the $100 a day I make subbing.

And I never sub kindergarten way too exhausing for me I'm not getting any younger so I know that if I do get it it will be a real test but I could really use the money.

substeph is offline   Reply With Quote
McGarrett

McGarrett

I Was Picky
Old 03-10-2019, 10:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

When I subbed, I only took grades 1,2,3,4, and sometimes 5. The more I did it, the more I would decline 5th grade job offers. 5th grade was becoming difficult
with drama. My enthusiasm for first grade was starting to wane also.

I was always paranoid that my assignment would be changed into a roving or special ed assignment. Kindergarten assignments were avoided like the plague.

I saw the trend I was creating for myself, so I got out. Soon I would be interested in no grades.

Also, at the end of my subbing career, I was unfortunately receiving many jobs where by the teacher was present the entire day. I don't have a problem with this if they are around for an hour or two, but all day was bad. Anyway, that's another topic.

Nietzsche

Old 03-13-2019, 12:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I would check on what the pay is for a long term sub. I've found that every district has different policies. I recently talked to one where you have to work three months before your pay is bumped up from the regular sub rate of $90/day.
Nietzsche is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 03-13-2019, 12:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I did a long term sub job in sped. The only thing I didnít do was IEPs. It really wasnít enough extra as we only got another $10 after ten days, but I enjoyed the experience, and I knew the group of kids needed the consistency. The class EA had been in an horrible accident, and the teacher left suddenly with heart problems. There were no lesson plans, I had no guidance, and a different EA every day.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

cassie23

Took the 3 weeks in K. Glad I did!
Old 03-13-2019, 02:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I just got done with a 3 week sub job in Kindergarten. I enjoyed the experience mainly because the regular teacher had a well-thought out schedule which required very little planning from me and the school paid me $160/day (instead of the usual $100) because it was considered a long-term sub job. Today I was a 6th grade para which included lunchroom recess, outside recess and inside recess in a gym and I far preferred the K classroom. Ugh.

Pros: Afternoon work was light with an hour of Playtime, storytime, snacktime, recess, gym. The only planning I had to do was with the Math and Reading small group rotations. Also, great co-workers and great pay.
Cons: Several kids were confirmed to have influenza A so lots of coughing and sneezing throughout the 3 weeks and I ended up getting sick myself toward the very end. Also some little boys needed lots of reminders in following directions so much patience was required.

I would do it again.
cassie23 is offline   Reply With Quote