Help

Substitute Teachers

How aesop really works for substitutes

>

roxben

How aesop really works for substitutes
Old 04-09-2019, 06:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have substituted for 18 years now and have studied how aesop really works for 10 years. I have proof of the following
1- Aesop does not send jobs out to everyone at the same time (I use to text jobs I did not want to my friend. She did not see them when the job was still available. I accepted the job, then cancelled and then she saw them.)

2- Aesop alternates whom they send jobs too. I will see the sames persons over and over again and my friend never sees the, and then see teachers that I have not seen and my friend always sees (almost like the Amazon list of, based on your shopping, we recommend this.)

I just wish Aesop or front-line Education would notify school systems of these dirty little secrets. My secretary at my school told me she was putting in a job. I never saw it standing right at the desk. She gave up and assigned me to the job.

roxben is offline   Reply With Quote

sometimesub

sometimesub

Old 04-09-2019, 07:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I know that in one of my districts, teachers can create a list of "preferred" subs who get to see their jobs first. How long it gets shown to preferred subs depends on how early they post it. It's hard to get on a preferred sub list simply by doing a good job. There are different ways teachers choose their preferred list. Sometimes it's people who have a degree in their subject area. Sometimes it's retired teachers or other people they know personally. In this district, subs who really want preferred status and don't have a personal connection with the teachers need to go out of their way to "schmooze" the teachers. I don't care enough to do that because I have other districts that don't use AESOP and that pay more. In this district, if I see a job it is probably undesirable in some way. For the most part, I only take jobs in this district if it's for one of two teachers who have me on their "preferred" list or if it's a half day and I need that because of an appointment or something.

That being said, I do think AESOP is often just "glitchy." It sounds as though that's what was happening when your secretary had to assign you to a job.

mrsd5

Preferred teacher has one hour lead time
Old 04-09-2019, 10:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Several former coworkers have me on their preferred list, so I see the job before others. Also, if I'm at the school, the teacher and I will have the secretary put the job in and assign me immediately. It's a small district, though, so things may be different in larger districts. We have a huge shortage of subs, so I'm lucky to be requested and assigned.
mrsd5 is online now   Reply With Quote
sometimesub

sometimesub

Old 04-09-2019, 01:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

"Preferred teacher has one hour lead time"

Really? No matter how many days in advance they post it? If only it were that way here. I surmise that it must be several hours here since I sometimes get the alert in the middle of the night. I don't think anyone is entering their need for a sub two weeks from now at 2:00 a.m. I generally block teachers who do that all the time. I don't want any job badly enough to accept it in the middle of the night, especially when that teacher would obviously rather have someone else. It comes back to bite them at this time of year when all their preferred subs have hit their limit on days.

YayaSub

Old 04-09-2019, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It might be different in different districts. In mine, I know jobs do not post as soon as they are entered. (I had a teacher who was calling off "sick," and she texted me right before she entered. I sat there refreshing for about 20 minutes before it finally came through on my end so I could accept it. I heard someone speculate that a delay was built in to give them time to fix it if they found they entered it wrong.)

At my schools, the sub apps have pretty much nullified the preferred sub list. I think the system emails the top name to alert them that a job was posted, and then every 30 minutes it moves down the list. However, the job actually shows up to anyone who is checking for a job or using an app. This could be different in different school systems. So being a preferred sub doesn't mean much here, except I find I am more inclined to accept a job for a teacher who listed me.

It is possible for a teacher or a school to "block" a sub, and in that case, they would not see a job that is available to others. My understanding is Aesop is very customizable, so YMMV.

YayaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

Not sure
Old 04-09-2019, 07:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Iíve yet to really figure out how the system works, I agree, jobs come up at all hours of the night and I find it hard to believe someone is actually sitting there posting them at that time. That being said, I work pretty much every day between three districts (9 schools total) and am very choosy; in one of the districts Iíve got approximately 18 teachers who request me. So as long as I keep working, Iím not gonna lose sleep trying to figure out the system.
CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Nietzsche

Old 04-10-2019, 07:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm running both Jobulator and SubAlert on several devices. Occasionally I will get multiple alerts at the same time. I've seen other times when an alert on one device arrives several minutes later for the same job. My experience with 1 different school districts who use Aesop is virtually all of them have not taken the time to have someone learn the capabilities of Aesop. The preferred sub list is a joke. It may be possible in Aesop for a preferred sub to get notified earlier but I have not seen a district implement that capability. I'll get an preferred sub e-mail 10 minutes after the job was posted. Because of SubAlert, I know that jobs are taken before I get an alert. That is because everyone is not notified at the same time. Your app queries the Aesop database once a minute. That means a job could be taken 59 seconds before you are alerted tot he job.

Aesop does not alternate who it sends job to. Your app queries the Aesop database. It may appear that you are not seeing jobs because someone is taking the job before you see it.

The one thing I notice is it seems that both SubAlert and Jobulator are slow on my phone. It seems like I miss jobs because of the slowness when I refresh the app. I'm running it on an early Pixel.

I am also amazed at why jobs come up at weird hours. Like why would a teacher post an absence at 4AM on a Saturday or Sunday morning for a job three weeks in the future. Some districts may have it set up that jobs are made available first to subs certified in that area. Other subs don't see the job until half the time has elapsed from the posting time until the job starts. I know my local district doesn't do that because the former superintendent was more concerned about getting any warm body to fill the position.
Nietzsche is offline   Reply With Quote

roxben

preffered teachers
Old 04-10-2019, 10:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

The only way I could beat the Aesop games was by being a preferred sub for about 25 percent of the teachers. But I did learn officially how the preferred system works and I didn't understand it then and I don't understand it now. But it is a formula called something like 80/20 60/40? or something? whereby the number of days before the absence is thereby calculated into the formulas????? and determines how long all the preferred (5 preferred see it at the same time). Last minute jobs have a very short window and there is a point when preferred no longer applies. I know that a job months ahead stays awhile. For many teachers I was their one and only. Another thing they don't tell you is that if a preferred sub cancels, it goes out to everyone so a teacher will probably get a bad sub.
roxben is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 04-10-2019, 11:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

How the preferred sub list actually works. As told to me by a Frontline (Aesop) employee in 2012. I used to be employed in a district that allowed preferred subs. I asked how the system worked. Hereís what I was told.

1. The time between the absence creation and the absence start time is calculated and divided into thirds.

2. For the first third the absence is shown only to the subs on the preferred list. If none of the preferred subs accept the assignment it goes to the next step.

3. The absence is next shown to the preferred subs and all subs whose certification matches (math to math for example). If no one in this group accepts the assignment then the system moves on to the next step.

4. The absence is now shown to all subs in the system for that school/district. This is why you have jobs showing up at odd hours and why some subs can see jobs but other subs canít.

In the event that a job is picked up by a sub and then dropped the job goes immediately into the show to all category. Subs that have been excluded from the district, school, or classroom wonít see jobs that they have been excluded from.

Aesop allows schools the ability to exclude certain types of teachers from jobs like only female teachers can see girls health/phys ed jobs at the middle school and high school level. Subs also can exclude grade levels, subjects, or schools from their jobs (many districts wonít tell you this because they want their absences filled.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

artladyhere

Old 04-10-2019, 04:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

What is really up with so many jobs coming in at 2am? I know some of you set your alarms at 2am to check jobs, but dang... I just want to sleep all night.

artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote

artladyhere

Old 04-10-2019, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

This also makes sense to me ---last Friday I got a sub job when there were 27 jobs for that day just sitting there---very unusual for my district as jobs are usually accepted within 10 seconds. The secretary told me there were 205 jobs unfilled that morning. I see all the jobs---and I've never seen more than 50...So those remaining jobs are on prefered lists?
artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 04-10-2019, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I think some districts must time them to go off at odd hours on some kind of auto timer.A day next month must be a statewide Pd day or they are doing job interviews. Either way, at 4 am 7 jobs would go up for the same day and school, usually related subject and it was for two neighboring districts.

Yeah, jobs for my area usually go extremely fast. There will be 10 unfilled jobs at midnight sometimes because most people chose jobs already. Some still get picked right away btwn 2 and 6am so people must either be up or have their phone waking them up.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote
sometimesub

sometimesub

Old 04-12-2019, 03:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I have to have an app with an audible alert in order to have any chance of getting the more desirable jobs and that means that it will wake me up when an job opens up to non-preferred subs in the middle of the night. I especially love it when that happens and it's not even actually a job. My AESOP district has a policy that if a teacher is going to be absent for less than 4 hours, they cover it in-house. That's reasonable, but it really annoys me to get an alert at 3:00 a.m. for a 2 1/2 hour job. Apparently this happens when the teacher fails to tick the "no sub needed" box. If I were foolish enough to accept that job (I was once - didn't look at the times carefully) I'd just get cancelled. I was awakened by one of those last night. There's another teacher going on my "do not notify" list at the end of the year when many subs have hit their limits of days.