Substitute Teachers

To sub or not to sub?

>

EatPrayLove

To sub or not to sub?
Old 04-22-2019, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi All!
I am moving to another part of Colorado and am finishing out my 13th year in my current district. I've been teaching for 23 years and have a growth mindset and am rated as 'highly effective'.

I'd like to take the year off from being a classroom teacher and sub instead so I get to know the district, get used to teaching math & science (we departmentalize at my school, and I taught language arts all these years).

I posted this on the general board, but wanted to see what you who are regular subs think.

A) What's the liklihood I'll get a full time teaching job after a year of subbing?
B) Any tips for my upcoming year of subbing?

Thanks so much!

EatPrayLove is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

Best option
Old 04-23-2019, 05:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would talk to other subs in the districts that you were subbing in and see how difficult it has been for them to get a full-time teaching job. Iím not sure how Colorado is , but where I live itís pretty difficult. Good thing Iím not looking for a full-time teaching job again. I taught for 20 years and Iím just subbing now. My choice!
CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 04-23-2019, 05:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Itís not a bad idea to sub for a year and get the feel of a new district before you commit, as long as you can be financially secure during that time.

If you want to broaden your likelihood of working most days, then donít limit yourself to only the math and science jobs. Also, understand that it takes a while to become known as a good sub, so you probably wonít be busy right off the bat.

Youíll find that subbing is very different from teaching full time, though your teaching experience will serve you well.

Some say that if youíre a great sub, a district will be hesitant to take you out of the sub pool and hire you full time. In my experience of moving across the state and subbing, it worked to get me a full time teaching job in a district that is notorious for low turnover. I think subbing can put you in the right place at the right time.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

It worked for me
Old 04-23-2019, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'd been subbing for years and was approached to be an aide. The money wasn't great, but I was able to get insurance, which was great since hubby is a farmer. Two years later, I was approached to take the 8th grade ELA position. I said yes, and was there for twenty years.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 04-23-2019, 04:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Where are you moving? I'm in the Denver area and there is a massive sub shortage everywhere. You would certainly work every day if you wanted. I think the job market is open enough that you wouldn't have to worry about a school you like not hiring you because they'd rather you stay in their sub pool. You're very likely to just go get a FT job somewhere else, so that doesn't really work out for them.

I have seen subs hired for FT positions, especially if they do long term jobs for us. IME, the biggest thing that gets you positive attention as a sub is having good behavior management. We hired someone from our sub pool last year and even the specials teachers had commented to the P about how well she managed the classes she brought down to them.

That said, if it were me I'd at least try to get a FT job right off the bat. Subbing sounds horrific to me! I know, not what you asked . I would consider that subbing isn't really going to give you the option to experience teaching math or science. Sure, you may be placed in those classes, but most people aren't leaving "regular" lessons for subs to do- they're leaving filler activities or busywork, and either way you won't be the one doing the planning either. I would also think that going straight from one job from another would look best on a resume vs. having to sub for a year and have it look like you were just never selected for a position.

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

EatPrayLove

Moving to Fort Collins
Old 04-23-2019, 08:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Hi Haley23,
I am in the Cherry Creek district and am moving to the Poudre district. I really want to take a year to settle my family into our new digs and be involved with my twins' kindergarten year. If I find a good job opening that's appealing, I will apply. But you give me REALLY good things to think about! Thank you!
EatPrayLove is offline   Reply With Quote

maile0408

Old 04-23-2019, 08:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

EatPrayLove, Welcome to Fort Collins! I live in Fort Collins but teach in Greeley. Between Fort Collins and the other close surrounding districts you will have no problem finding subbing jobs. As far as teaching position,PSD is a difficult district to get into. A great district but difficult to get a teaching position (at least in my opinion). Feel free to message if you have any questions about specific schools or the area!
maile0408 is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 04-25-2019, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

It might be different because you have taught previously, but I find that the “subbing leads to networking and jobs” myth is one of the biggest lies out there. You meet lower level admin and sometimes other teachers. Rarely are you going to meet someone who is going to be able to hire you, or remember you. I also work in three large districts, so no one really cares if you do a great job or a crappy job as you are just there to fill in and be a warm body. I could see this being different in a small town where people might know each other better.

People talk about using teachers to network, I find they usually don’t know who’s being renwed or if jobs are opening up, and if they do know they aren’t telling me. A teacher really liked me once and introduced me to the VP and said I was looking for a job and they were looking to hire, it was around this time last year. The guy barely looked at me and brushed me off, never got an interview.

Last edited by Fractured; 04-25-2019 at 07:08 PM..
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

ElemEd

Do it!
Old 04-28-2019, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

If you can do without a full-time salary for a year, I say go for it.

If you sub for a year, you will get to know what each school is like (What is the morale of the staff? How are the class sizes? Is the principal a micro-manager? etc.) You can also introduce yourself to the administrators at the schools you like. That way, when you apply the next year, you won't be just another faceless resume. You will stand out. They will already have formed an impression of you.

That is what I did when we moved cross-country because of my husband's job. Subbing was great for all of the reasons above, and it also helped me learn my way around my new community. I don't know whether you have children, but my two were in elementary school and middle school. I was able to help them adjust to their new surroundings better because I wasn't working full-time, and could drive them places, enroll them in extra-curricular activities, etc.

I had a choice of three job offers for the following year, and went on to teach for 30 1/2 years. Now I am retired and subbing again. My career has come full circle!

Good luck with whatever path you choose.
ElemEd is online now   Reply With Quote