Help

Special Education

(autistic) CLM classrooms

>

hapEteachr

(autistic) CLM classrooms
Old 07-25-2009, 04:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do any of you teach self-contained autistic classrooms? I taught learning support at a middle school last year (as a sub for the year) and just interviewed yesterday for either learning support or an autistic position, and was told that I did a very nice job, but now I have to wait for the board meeting to see what is decided in about 2 and 1/2 weeks. This doesn't leave very much time for preparing and planning if I don't know what I'm teaching yet. Have any of you used the Competent Learner Model? I know that there will be training for it, and that it is highly supported through the intermediate unit with people who come to observe and offer suggestions to the teacher. What I would love to know is... what does it look like in your classroom? How do you set your room up? Is there anything I could be preparing ahead of time? Thanks for all suggestions!

hapEteachr is offline   Reply With Quote

3-5 sped

Old 07-26-2009, 11:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I teach in an intermediate 3-5 self contained MD (multiple disabilities) classroom. My students usually have a variety of needs- some with high functioning autism - other non- verbal, a variety of other diagnoses. Our district does not do much to support their self- contained units- we are pretty much on our own to come up with curriculum, etc. We are "supposed" to follow the general ed curriculum, but with students who are functioning somewhere between pre-K and 2nd grade, that doesn't really happen. Without your IEPs, I am not sure of what to tell you to prepare. My IEPs guide my instruction, and I adapt other curriculum for science and social studies lessons. I would recommend looking over the reg ed curriculum for the grade level you will be teaching and get some ideas from there. You could start thinking about what type of behavior management system you would like to use- do a little research and get ideas of what works for others. Good Luck!
3-5 sped is offline   Reply With Quote

hapEteachr

okie doke,
Old 07-26-2009, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

thanks for your helpful suggestions. I guess there really isn't a lot I can do until I know what grade levels and ability levels and the IEPs my students have. I did have a very structured behavior management system that I used last year that I would like to use again this year (provided that it fits with my upcoming students). Thanks for your advice. Once I know what I'm teaching, I will definitely ask to see the regular curriculum so I can start planning. Thanks again for your input!
jackie0070

jackie0070

Special Ed. Teacher moderate to severe class
Old 07-30-2009, 06:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I teach a different type of disabled students; some are classified as autistic. Our class is Language based ( ABA). Language is purposeful and usually exaggerated. We try to start our lessons with a short story related to our task. Then we lable item in the story and objects that will be used for the task. Our language lessons are often crafty or for the purpose of making something - highly motivational- ( mac and cheese, a toy, decorations, crowns, plants, painted and glued objects to complete a picture etc. Student must follow a request and or make a request and/ or identify objects on the table . In other word expressive and receptive language is modeled and practiced during the lesson. It will depend on the level of your student for the method of prompt - hand over hand, physical , oral, etc.

You need to have read all ieps and have an understanding of your students before lessons start. Some may put small item or all item in mouth, or bite or whatever. We never know until we get to know our students. I have made my mistakes and learned. I am sure that I have more to learn. Good luck!

I don't know if that helps.
Twin Mom

Twin Mom

SPED 3rd-5th Teach
Old 07-30-2009, 08:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

jackie0070,

What age range are your students? 4 of my 5 students are autistic but I love your idea of short story related tasks. Can you given me any more specific info? Thanks!

hapEteachr

jackie0070
Old 08-02-2009, 03:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

that's a great idea! I just found out they're ordering curriculum materials for my class. -Saxon Math, and I'm not sure what the reading is. I was told Head Start Reading for the computer but was unable to find something called exactly that. Hopefully I'll find out more soon. I might be able to work the language stories in because that sounds wonderful, if, like you said, it fits my students. Is there a particular book that you get your ideas for projects from or do you just pull materials?

Thanks again!
lisaariana
Old 08-02-2009, 06:27 PM
This message has been deleted by lisaariana.
lisaariana
Old 08-02-2009, 06:30 PM
This message has been deleted by lisaariana.

lisaariana

examples please?
Old 08-02-2009, 06:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

jackie...

hi, i am a bcaba and have always done one on one therapy/instruction, but this year i am teaching in a self contained classroom of a handful of kiddos, elem age... i loved your idea of the short story...but was wondering if you could give an example etc, just to give me a better picture. thanks so much. i still have not been able to see their ieps or anything yet either! thanks for any extra help/info!
lisaariana is offline   Reply With Quote