how do you handle days you see the conditions & just feel like running out the door? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

how do you handle days you see the conditions & just feel like running out the door?

>

OK4NOW

how do you handle days you see the conditions & just feel like running out the door?
Old 07-23-2012, 06:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I don't live in my hometown or state but my husband's. Most people who live here are life long residents who have multiple generations and extended family in the area.

I started my degree in 1992. Graduated in 1997.

Have worked as an assistant, teacher, reading interventionist, and professional development instructionalist in these 15 years. (all grant jobs-no long term contract with tenure) I was able to do that with my husband's job and not having kids.

Also a substitute-both a day to day and completed some long terms.

I am substituting this year and have worked in different postions within this district since 2004.

I use to get a lot of pre-arranged jobs but most of those teachers have retired and it seems the younger generation of teachers (I am 38) a lot do not pre-arrange substitutes and just schedule what are considered "cold call jobs".

I just wondered how others make it through the day you see what the conditions are like and feel like running out the door. I always try to be professional but there are some challenging days and must admit IT'S THE REAL WORLD OUT THERE AND some teachers are not the "caring types that we have on pro-teacher" You have days of no lesson plans, no attendance, disorganized classrooms, no crowd control, (even if it is not a last minute absense on the part of the teacher)

I remind myself I am being paid to be there and almost go on script the entire day. Boys and Girls, please get your books out and open them to page.... patrol the room \-remind myself by patroling the room I am getting exercise, clock watch-almost every second until they transition to specials, lunch, dismissal, etc...and then turn in my materials and never speak of the assignment again.

I try to turn out the lights at plan and lunch sometimes go to my car and listen to music. (at lunch-teachers and substitutes are allowed to leave the building) Sometimes though theymake substitutes do extra coverage during plan and all you get is a lunch. I have sometimes screamed driving home and also done the uncontrollable ugly cry or wailing by myself at my home. (I will not do the ugly cry or wailing in the building or by any family or friends but may tear up during lunch or plan and do the silent tears with the lights out-learned not to tear up in front of the students or other staff)

I LEARNED NOT TO SAY ANYTHING NEGATIVE IN THE BUILDING TO ANYONE OR NOT TO SUGGEST TO WANT TO LEAVE THE JOBSITE BEFORE THE DAY IS OVER AND TRY NOT TO CONTACT THE OFFICE unless student safety is a concern the hard way.

I so miss not having my own classroom of 20 primary kids using Harry Wong's "First Days of School" and also Fred Jones "Tools for Teaching" to teach procedures (sigh)

I just don't know if I can do it this year.

I am thinking about leaving the area I currently live as there are no job prospects.

Last edited by OK4NOW; 07-23-2012 at 07:40 AM..
OK4NOW is offline   Reply With Quote

momandsub

I have said this before..
Old 07-23-2012, 01:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

and I will say it again. Just get through the day, with whatever is thrown at you and then let it go. This will be my sixth year of this. I expect no professional respect, to be called on to do yard duty, lunch duty, even clean the teachers lounge ( no kidding). I have been jerked around in more ways than I care to mention. The only perk of the job is the flexibility, and the only reason I do this.
momandsub is offline   Reply With Quote

OK4NOW

Thanks!
Old 07-23-2012, 01:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for letting me know I am not alone. I will think of you MOMANDSUB especially when I am having one of those "the money is not worth it" and I just want to run out of the door screaming at the top of my lungs and the 1st bell hasn't even rung kind of days! ()

Take care!

Smilingsub

My mantra
Old 07-23-2012, 05:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I remind myself that "it's only for the day" over and over again.
Smilingsub is offline   Reply With Quote

OK4NOW

Old 07-23-2012, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks!

There are enjoyable days ......but

Sometimes you get there and you get moved, other times you get there and have to cover extra duties, sometimes you are not treated all that great (sometimes by students and sometimes by staff), and there are times nobody talks to you, glad to know I am not alone.

Last edited by OK4NOW; 07-24-2012 at 04:07 AM..

OneOldGoat

smilingsub
Old 07-23-2012, 06:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

yes only for the day... i've had to use that mantra a few times!!!
OneOldGoat is offline   Reply With Quote

Smilingsub

Never alone,lol
Old 07-23-2012, 07:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

OK4NOW, you are definitely not alone...in 7 years of subbing, I have dealt with everything you've mentioned - and every time I dare to think that there is nothing new that a sub job (administrators,students, scheduling,etc) can throw at me,I am proven wrong. Sometimes I wonder why I do this to myself!

On the other hand,I have also had some wonderful experiences and many middle of the road ones. It's just SOME days...

And OneOldGoat
Smilingsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Mystery2020

Mystery2020

Thank You
Old 07-24-2012, 01:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Best thread I have read. I have been in squalor/hoarding types of classrooms. I worked in one where a fifth grade student who was out of control was placed in a first grade room - where the fifth grader proceeded to spend the day trying to kill other students (and the security guard and office would do nothing!). That is probably the worse few day ever in my 20 year of off and on subbing. I wanted to leave the building because I felt like my life was also in danger. And of course the principal had a horrible attitude even on good days I was in that building (many subs refused to work in that building). Times are tough job wise - so I am considering going back to subbing this year. I keep trying to find a different job however - because at 55 dollars a day for subbing - I am not sure it is worth it - and school employees can never receive unemployment if they are laid off. I think a retail, factory or restaurant job is less stressful. The reality is they will not hire people off the sub list for full time jobs - they are too desperate for subs. We get no respect from teachers, administrators or students. Basically subs are treated like poo. No breaks and no lunch time - lunch time is dealing with discipline issues of students and such. It is exhausting work, stressful and dangerous. Most of the full time teachers in my district are on anxiety and stress prescriptions. I found that out by talking to full time teachers. They said they could not cope with what goes on without medication. Unfortunately I can't afford medication because subs get no health insurance. If I had it to do over I would not have majoring in education. There are few full time jobs and they go to relatives of teachers and administrators.

OK4NOW

Old 07-24-2012, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thanks, I always wanted to be the "fixer". Somethings you just can't fix.

OK4NOW

Old 07-26-2012, 04:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have wanted "my own classroom" again-a contract teaching job in a primary classroom since 2002-2003 and it never happened. This is the 1st school year I told myself I am not postponing any more of my life pursuing this "dream". I spent ages 28 to 38 pursuing this dream. I am just living the life I have now. Thanks!

Mystery2020

Mystery2020

Old 07-26-2012, 11:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have been subbing off and on since 1991 and still no classroom. I hope I find a different job before the school year begins. I really do not want to sub. Flipping burgers pays the same.

Southern Sub

saying anything negative
Old 07-27-2012, 07:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I know exactly how you feel, I have had some very out of control classrooms as a sub. There is no way to teach a class who has a leader and everyone else seems to follow that student's behavior, it is very frustrating, I've had to have everyone put their head down on their desks for a period of time because we were not getting anywhere with the lesson plan, if there is one. I have a hard time coping with out of control students who like to think it's a "free for all day" with a sub in the room. I do the best I can and that's all I can do.

I can't leave a nice note in a case like that, I have heard other subs say they always leave a positive note regardless of how the day went. I have to be honest and tell the teacher how the students behaved, I may have cut my nose to spite my face by doing that, but I can't say good things if the day was terrible. I usually don't except any more jobs for that class or that school.

Good Luck.
SS
Southern Sub is offline   Reply With Quote