Help

Substitute Teachers

Going back to college to pursue something else

>

Beethechange

Going back to college to pursue something else
Old 08-05-2012, 02:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Well for those of u who know I'm on my way to be a five yr sub, and never got hired even with license in NYC. Anyway I was realllly sick with bronchitis for two months right after the last day of school. I ended up going to the ER was given a whole range of treatment. Not to mention I also got a bacterial infection. Last week I finally got rid of these pills. My hospital bills are piling up. Anyway I was Super depressed and stayed home most of the time. While visiting my eye doctor, she gave me free eye drops cause she knows I have no insurance, she told me I looked miserable. I broke down and told her I am so stressed out at the thought of subbing and frustrated at not ever getting a job. She told me that it's time to move on and not look back. She recommended I look into jobs that do hire like hers or something in the medical or health sciences. She told me that my skills are not being used as a sub and that being a sub is dumbing me down. She is absolutely right. I decided to start applying to schools in NYC in health sciences. The application process might be too late but I don't care. I'm going this week to visit four schools, see what they say.

Beethechange is offline   Reply With Quote

OK4NOW

Old 08-05-2012, 10:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Good luck in your new pursuits!
OK4NOW is offline   Reply With Quote

Cinderella00

Old 08-05-2012, 10:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I really feel for you. After five years getting your hopes up for a new job every summer and then to not be hired... I sooo understand how you feel.

And it's hard to give up and move on. I know because I can't do it, although I've really considered several different options. My next step, before being hired as an aide (with 13 years classroom teaching experience, I'm now an aide ), was to go in and talk to a college about other degree options.

Good luck in whatever you do, and keep us posted. I'd like to know.
Cinderella00 is offline   Reply With Quote
TeacherBEE11

TeacherBEE11

My heart goes out to you...
Old 08-05-2012, 12:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree with your eye doctor: It's time to move on. Never stay with a job at the expense of your health and well-being!

If you don't get into a program right away, why not try to find an office job as an administrative assistant? Or have you looked in the non-profit sector? They pay is not great (neither is subbing) but at least you'll get benefits. Also, if you get a job in a different field, you can always volunteer with kids, if the teaching bug still gets you.

Best of luck to you!

subczy

me too!
Old 08-05-2012, 12:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have also been working on my degree....but not in education. I sub bc of the schedule. I am looking forward to a career where I make money and benefits, as opposed to Subbing. Good luck!

subczy is offline   Reply With Quote
Mystery2020

Mystery2020

I tried it too
Old 08-05-2012, 01:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have subbed off and on since the early 1990s and also did an assistant job. I worked as a tutor too in a private center (now out of business). I went back to school a few years ago to be a medical coder - and I never got a job in that either. They wanted people with nursing degrees that were transitioning to coders. I can't even get hired as a receptionist in a doctors office with the medical coding degree. I wanted nursing school but the wait list was long to get in and there might not have been a clinical placement. Not to mention you can't get financial assistance if you already have a bachelors. You can get loans for a masters - but there is still the long list to get in to programs. However, you live in NYC - so there may be more educational opportunities. I do not think you are being dumbed down by subbing - in fact I consider that an insult that subs are dumb. I think considering returning to school is a wise choice - if you have the money, time and there are available programs. Be diligent in your research. Maybe you can get into a program by January.

OK4NOW

Old 08-05-2012, 02:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Good luck to you also Subczy! I am considering doing the same!
OK4NOW is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

other career
Old 08-05-2012, 02:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Good luck! I completely agree with changing careers. Things are not going to get any easier for sub or for teachers in classrooms. I think many people are still in denial because maybe, just maybe, things will get better in education. The sooner you re-enter the job market in another field, the better for your financial and mental prospects.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

Beethechange

I've narrowed down my choices for another job
Old 08-08-2012, 11:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I went to several schools this week. So far I have to go back and get a couple of BA credits

I've narrowed it to 3 choices:

Speech language pathology- right now this is the one I'm thinking of doing

Physical therapy

Occupational therapy

They all require biology, some sort of anatomy/ physiology. Physical and occupational require physics and inorganic chem.

Well I have till September 4 to make up my mind or stay stuck forever.
Beethechange is offline   Reply With Quote

Lady Di

Good luck!
Old 08-08-2012, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Be prepared for a lot more schooling if you go into any of those areas (unless you want to be an assistant). However, you WILL be able to get a job when it's all said and done (and you'll make quite good money too)!

Lady Di is offline   Reply With Quote

TXlady

Old 08-08-2012, 08:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Don't feel bad. I have given up my hope of finding a teaching job. I sent applications to tons of districts and every private school within driving distance in the city. I have a huge stack of rejection letters.

So I'm moving on. I'm taking computer classes, and hoping to eventually get a receptionist/office assistant job. I'll keep up my license and maybe someday can get hired at a private school. I doubt I'll ever try for a public school job again, unless its an aide position where the success of the students all depends on me.
TXlady is offline   Reply With Quote

longtimesub

Good luck to Beethechange.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I went back to school a few years ago to be a medical coder - and I never got a job in that either. They wanted people with nursing degrees that were transitioning to coders. I can't even get hired as a receptionist in a doctors office with the medical coding degree. I wanted nursing school but the wait list was long to get in and there might not have been a clinical placement. Not to mention you can't get financial assistance if you already have a bachelors. You can get loans for a masters - but there is still the long list to get in to programs. However, you live in NYC - so there may be more educational opportunities. I do not think you are being dumbed down by subbing - in fact I consider that an insult that subs are dumb. I think considering returning to school is a wise choice - if you have the money, time and there are available programs. Be diligent in your research. Maybe you can get into a program by January.
_______________________________ _______________________________ __

It is frustrating when you finish a certificate program and not end up with a job. Often, the employers do not want to hire someone who has no experience...
I took accounting courses a few years ago and I thought that I would get started in the accounting sector. Well, that never happened...I never got an accounting job...

About being dumbed down by substitute teaching...No, I don't think that sub teachers are dumb. But, I think that most employers don't consider substitute teaching to be a great work experience...I am annoyed by that perception among employers. But, I have no choice but to deal with that somehow...

My friend became an RN after many years of education. He first took prerequisite courses for the nursing school. Then he entered nursing school, a private school. In the process, he did end up taking out big loans...

Should I go back to school myself? If I decide to do that, I have to take out big loans...I am really reluctant to do that.
I did go to school part-time and took some accounting courses...That didn't work out too well...

Good luck, Beethechange...Don't lose hope.
longtimesub is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Beethehange
Old 08-09-2012, 10:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I was a speech language pathologist for 12 years and gave it up to go into the classroom. Interesting to see the transition go the other way. Of course, I made the move about 20 years ago when education was quite different.

If you haven't already, you might want to check out the ASHA (American Speech, Language, Hearing Association) website. If you want the greatest possible numbers of options, you'll want to be able to be licensed for private practice or hospital work and so you'll need to attend a ASHA certified program. Most school districts are always looking for speech paths to serve their special education students. Speech-Language Pathologists also work with post-stroke, swallowing disorders, cerebral palsy, deaf, autistic, etc. people of all ages from preschool to old age.

Frankly, it may be easiest to get into a speech path program, PT and OT (PT especially) programs have people lined up to get in. They take about half or fewer of their applicants.

Whatever you decide, you'll not be stuck forever. We all make choices about our lives daily. You can go and take care of your BA credits and be ready to go when programs start.

Many of the people in my speech path program had degrees in other fields.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

P.s.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I just saw an interesting article on job changing from education. It suggests looking at a couple of books like What color is Your Parachute? and 101 Career Alternatives for Teachers by Margaret Gisler.

You might be able to check it out here: http://blogs.edweek.org/topschooljobs/careers I'm not sure if you can access without a subscription, but you might give it a try.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Smilingsub

Thanks...
Old 08-10-2012, 09:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I had to complete a free registration to access this article. Maybe this link will work:

http://blogs.edweek.org/topschooljob...s=job+changing
Smilingsub is offline   Reply With Quote
GoRebels1

GoRebels1

Frustrated first year teacher!
Old 08-16-2012, 04:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I'm so glad I found this site as it lets me know I am not the only one out there feeling frustrated! I just graduated (May 2012) with my Bachelors degree in Elementary Education and was hoping to get a full time teaching position. I had several interviews with the superintendent in my area along with several principals. At one point there was a First grade opening and I honestly thought I had it in the bag after talking with the principal. Apparently politics plays a huge role in who gets a job because it went to the new highschool football coaches wife. It was "promised to her if he would come coach here." To say that I was broken hearted and frustrated would be an understatement! I had applied to every school district within 2hours of driving distance and heard back nothing, other then the occasional rejection letter or finding out someone else I graduated with got a job I applied for.
I was told to apply to sub as well as that would help "get my foot on the door." I was called 3 days before school started for maternity leave for 2 months and 1 week. I took the job, hoping it would be a good thing. It is in 6th grade, and it is awful!! I have always said I only enjoyed teaching K-2 and this only confirmed that even more. My frustration comes in with the pay. Unless anything changes I get paid $60/day and use about $10 of that for gas. I know it is a job, which are hard to come by in this economy. However I have student loan payments that will start calling my name in Janurary! Do I stay with subbing even though I may not get a full time job? Or do I look for a full time job in another field so that I will be able to pay my bills?

I had thought about trying to get a job in the medical field, but I hate to just give up on teaching. It's frustrating and I don't know what to do! P.S. I just got engaged and am getting married in a year, I've gotta start saving for that as well. It's just a lot 😔
Sorry for the rant.