Help

Substitute Teachers

How Do You Get Noticed?

>

HoAIM

How Do You Get Noticed?
Old 08-14-2012, 12:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm sure this has been posted by others but I'm posting this as it pertains to my situation.
I have been a substitute teacher for 2 years and am about to start my 3rd year in September. While, I am very popular with both the students and administrators and am regularly requested in a number of schools, that success as a substitute hasn't exactly translated into offers of employment from any these schools. Many schools, even ones that I've subbed at, aren't even considering me when an opening comes up, but they will always want me back as a sub. Earlier this summer, there was a job opening at a school where I subbed at and despite even knowing the Principal of the school, I didn't even get an interview.

Another sub once told me that it's because many Principals and administrators don't view substitute teaching experience as real teaching experience. To some, substitute teachers are nothing more than babysitters, and that it doesn't take much to be a successful substitute teacher. My question is how do you get noticed for consideration for a regular teaching job at a school you've been subbing at? How do you let them know that you'd like to work there?

HoAIM is offline   Reply With Quote

teachkidz14

Following this thread
Old 08-14-2012, 12:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am sorry I don't have any helpful advice but I am in a similar situationas you except I am doing on year two! It is very frustrating. I almost feel like if you are a good sub, it's harder to get a job because good subs are rare so they want to hold onto us. Maybe some others can speak to this!?!

I feel like subbing HAS to count as a teaching experience. If not I am in trouble because I count it as such when filling out the online applications for the part where it says how many years of experience I defintely count subbing...I have nothing else! What are other PTers thoughts on this? Does subbing count as teaching experience????? I think so!!
teachkidz14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Hideeho

Old 08-14-2012, 12:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I talked with the principal and told him pretty much what you are saying here. Originally, I did have an informal interview with him for a position which ended up being filled internally. That left only subbing for me.

I talked with the principal several times about things regarding the specific job I was subbing for on any given day, and on a few occasions was able to talk about how I really wanted a full-time job.

Then this summer, I asked him for a letter of recommendation which he willingly gave.

I have the very strong impression that at least one teacher talked with the principal about the job I did at her grade level on a long-term subbing job. The teacher had mentioned to me that she thought I was doing a good job, and I just feel she told this to the principal. I think it is a good idea to mention to a few teachers that you are really looking for a full-time job.

I know this answer is really kind of lame. I wish there were more things I could mention, but for me, this is what has happened so far. I did get to interview at this school this summer, but the job went to a person who student taught in that building for the grade level of the opening.

P.S. IMHO, I believe subbing experience IS teaching experience especially when you go about it as professionally as possible. Plus, I believe the principal at the building where I subbed this year looks at subbing this way, also.
Hideeho is offline   Reply With Quote

longtimesub

Not really.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I feel like subbing HAS to count as a teaching experience.
_______________________________ ______________________

I don't think most HR people agree...I filled out many applicatons where I was instructed not to include substitute teaching as part of the teaching experience.

Do I agree with that? No...But, that is the reality...
longtimesub is offline   Reply With Quote
SubMan

SubMan

Old 08-14-2012, 08:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My favorite principal, now retired, viewed substitute teaching as real teaching experience. When he willingly wrote me a letter of reference when I asked and sent it to the HR department of the district. I do miss working at his school.

I've had the same problem(s), everybody loved me as a sub, never got any interviews in the districts where I subbed. Someone once told me I was too valuable as a sub for them to give me a classroom of my own.

Suspended

John

Suspended
Let me guess...
Old 08-14-2012, 09:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

...let me see if this counts as experience. As a substitute teacher I have...

...subbed for a teacher who was murdered overseas in a professional hit, serving his special ed students at a school for nearly two weeks when there was no principal and one of the AP's was arrested for being with a student.

...served as a substitute in two school districts covering one of the largest cities in the nation.

...served grades 6-12 in all subjects.

...long-term sub taught both at the middle and high school levels.

...flown to Italy and toured/filmed Pompeii for a future planned subbing assignment.

...flown on a World War II B-17 Flying Fortress bomber, filming the action for future subbing assignments.

...brought in a fully replicated Japanese 16th Century samurai warrior outfit for a substitute teaching assignment.

...brought in other items, such as an original 18th Century Enlightenment newspaper article, a 19th Century Civil War Union officer's letter of resignation, and coins hundreds or even thousands of years old.

...proctored state-sponsored exams (sometimes on Saturdays).

...had phone discussions and at school meetings with parents.

...prepared tests and lesson plans.

...read through books and stories such as "The Great Gatsby", "The Odyssey", and "Romeo and Juliet"

...gone through doing research papers for 11th graders from start to finish.

...orchestrated a pizza party.

...helped in crowd control at rallies.

...saved a student from being thrown down a flight of stairs.

The one thing I have not done as a sub? Final exams, which I did when I was a regular teacher at a middle school.

So, speaking not out of pride of myself but for the plight of sub teachers everywhere who want their experience to count, am I experienced or not?
John is offline   Reply With Quote

cannohara

In the same boat
Old 08-15-2012, 08:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We could each grab an oar and paddle around and around for years and get nowhere

I think that knowing the teachers (so they can recommend you) may be even more valuable than knowing the administrators...although you should not neglect the administrators.

I get to test my theory soon, as I have applied for a job at a school where I know the principal, have subbed there for a year, and one of their teachers is on my list of references.

The other thing I would recommend is to let them know that you are interested in a full time regular teaching position. It couldn't hurt.
cannohara is offline   Reply With Quote

lalasim

Old 08-15-2012, 08:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

In my district only long-term subbing is consider as teaching experince.
lalasim is offline   Reply With Quote

J-Bean

I have the same problem
Old 08-22-2012, 11:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I wish I could help you, but I am just as troubled and confused as you are. I have substituted in two districts for six (6! ) years and get interviews a couple of times a year. I am never offered a position. I feel like I did all the things I read in books and other teachers told me to do. I let the teachers and administration know I'm looking for a permanent position. When I have long term positions, I make sure I leave a great impression on the parents and do my best to help the students succeed. Over and over again positions are given to other people instead. I've come to the conclusion that I am doing something wrong and as soon as I figure it out I would be happy to pass on my knowledge.

Unfortunately, substitute experience is not thought of as real teaching. As others have mentioned, applications ask that substitute teaching not be included in teaching experience. Substitute teaching allows for us to practice important aspects of teaching such as classroom management. Schools are missing out on our experience and the abilities we have developed as substitute teachers. I think they should have a part that asks how many years of substitute teaching experience we have if they do not want count it as real teaching.

I hope that you are able to break through the substitute teacher "glass ceiling" and get a position soon.
J-Bean is offline   Reply With Quote

HoAIM

Old 08-29-2012, 09:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Hopefully that will happen soon. I have interview tomorrow at a Charter school. Ironically, the Principal of this school used to be the Principal of a school that I infrequently subbed at in the past. I knew him well enough to get a passing hello whenever I subbed at the other schools in the building, although he did not remember me when we spoke on the phone. I'm hoping that he'll remember my face when I show up for the interview tomorrow.

HoAIM is offline   Reply With Quote