Substitute Teachers

question for subs about long term

>

areadingtchr

areadingtchr

question for subs about long term
Old 08-24-2012, 02:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I will be going on maternity leave in about a month, and I was wondering if you had any tips for me to plan for my sub. I teach Title reading, and I haven't started meeting with my groups yet, but hopefully will by the time the baby comes. I will be meeting with reading groups all day from K-5. Any ideas about how to plan for a position like mine? Should I provide a basic guided reading template and show her where the books are, letting her choose which ones to use within the levels? Or should I be very detailed and plan specific lessons with specific books?

broomrider

Somewhat depends
Old 08-24-2012, 11:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

on your substitute.
If you get an experienced (probably retired or RIFed) reading teacher, an outline/template of your typical lesson with a suggested reading list (and a recording sheet template so s/he can indicate which groups read which stories) should take care of matters.

If your sub is not very experienced in reading or reading resource, then a more detailed description of book walks, guided reading principles, round robin or all at the same time reading, ways to support reading progress, etc, would be helpful.

Perhaps you'll be able to know who you will have before your leave so you can consult together. That would save time in outlining everything. You and/or your Principal might ask around for someone with reading background to be your sub. To get arrangements set up.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 08-26-2012, 09:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That would certainly depend on your sub.

I have worked as a sub in long-term cases, and I have had a long-term sub as well.

One of the cases was a mid-year maternity leave of 6 weeks. The teacher left the materials and plans with me, and I carried them out for her. I tried to do things like she'd done them in regards to schedule and classroom management.

The other case was 12 weeks of sick leave, and I was to finish the year. I had the teacher's plans book for the year, and I had the standards that needed to be addressed. I had to come up with everything else.

The other time the teacher was on a leave for a year, so it was my classroom, basically. I didn't have anything to get me started.

Of course, I was a certified teacher in that area, so it wasn't a big deal for me to take it and run with it. When I was out for 45 days, my sub was a guy who with a law enforcement degree. He was subbing while he waited for time to take the state police exam. He needed a lot of help with the instruction part. I was really too sick to make specific plans, so I had to give a lot of things that were self-explanatory.

If possible, meet with the sub ahead of time. In the maternity leave I did, I was able to come in two days and shadow the teacher before she left, that way I saw her in action and got used to the kids, too.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Hideeho

Old 08-26-2012, 02:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I did a long-term this past school year from January-mid-April. The teacher was very ill, so I taught the classroom as if it were mine. It was 4th grade, and I had just taught 4th grade the year before.

You know one thing that I would have loved is to know how she really felt about being kept up to date about school.

In the beginning, I sent her a couple of cards, then later an email or two letting her know (but not in huge detail) how things were going. The only feedback I received from her was "keep doing what you're doing".

So I did. There was no overlap when she was ready to come back, although I did leave her a packet of information (grades, the more important anecdotal notes, where we were on test-prep, etc.).
Hideeho is offline   Reply With Quote

broad

Get a retired teacher
Old 08-31-2012, 04:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree, try to find a retired or experienced teacher in your student age group.

He or she will be able to follow your plans and add her own ideas and strengths.

Good luck with your new baby!

broad is offline   Reply With Quote