Help

Substitute Teachers

3 month sub job on SmartFind? Mistake?

>

SunShining

3 month sub job on SmartFind? Mistake?
Old 08-31-2012, 04:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

After my previous post I decided it couldn't hurt to browse for jobs. One came up on SmartFind that says the start date is September 5th (first day of school) and the end date is November 30th.

It's in callout right now so I can't accept it, but it doesn't have any additional comments. Does it seem weird that they would put a 3 month long sub job on SmartFind? It's a good chunk of the year and it seems wrong that it would be posted for just anyone to grab. Could it be a mistake?

SunShining is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

SubMan

Old 08-31-2012, 07:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Could be, maybe the teacher wanted two days - the start and end days off - and ended up putting in for 3 months.

In any case grab it if you can and then call and ask about the position.

Mercury

Wrong?
Old 08-31-2012, 07:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Just anyone? Surely you are as qualified as the next sub?
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote

nicpen

Curious to hear...
Old 08-31-2012, 08:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

how this turns out!
nicpen is offline   Reply With Quote

SunShining

Old 08-31-2012, 08:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Well it went away before it was available for me to take. Otherwise, I would've jumped on it!

The reason I said "just anyone" is because subs are allowed to sub out of their endorsement, but it was a K job and what if someone only endorsed in say... secondary science took the job? If they had someone in there for 3 months it seems like they'd want to at least be sure it was someone within endorsement.

Oh well! It's early enough in the year that searching for jobs still seems like a game to me

SunShining is offline   Reply With Quote
sickoffern

sickoffern

Old 09-01-2012, 07:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My district uses AESOP. However, every job has to be put through AESOP. Maybe your district is like this? So, sometimes, you'll see jobs like that. In my case, you can take them. They were meant for someone else. The person will be told when to log on or call AESOP. If they don't "get" it on AESOP, they job is still there for them. Which really sucks, because you'll either get a call saying "You were taking out of X school for # of days, because we had a placement set up for someone else". Furthermore, if it's for the first day of school, or get the job after 3pm, you don't get the call because the boe is closed and around here doesn't open until 9am. You end up going to the school, and due to budget restraints, they have the right to turn you away and not give you anything. So, you wasted time and gas to get zip when they and the district was in the wrong.

Lakeside

Old 09-01-2012, 12:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My district has Aesop as well, but I think anything longer than a week or two is still handled in person by the secretary. And for three months, I'm pretty sure there would be interviews, so it definitely would have seemed strange to me!
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

nicpen

I kind of have to chuckle...
Old 09-01-2012, 07:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I'm one of those credentialed secondary science people who was called to start a Kindergarten class, three years ago, until a permanent teacher was hired. It was only a couple of weeks, but I had to get the classroom ready, run the Kindergarten orientation, and go through the first weeks of school in K.

Typically, in our district, an administrator will contact a sub if it's for a long-term assignment. The secretary will put it on Aesop but it doesn't go out to the general sub population for anyone to pick up.
nicpen is offline   Reply With Quote