No teacher, no plan, so I defied school rules. - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

No teacher, no plan, so I defied school rules.

>

Sirsubalot

No teacher, no plan, so I defied school rules.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Yesterday I experienced something for the first time, and had a good day by defying school rules.

I worked in a high school special ed class that had gone the entire year without a teacher.

The aides and a student told me the class had had 14 different subs throughout the year ranging from 1 to 20 days at a time. Of course there was no lesson plan, but three preparations were needed.

The students did not do a great job, but I was pleased under the circumstances. All but one student actually made a decent effort, and although a few were loud, I was pleased overall with how the students behaved.

In our folder, we are told TO NOT allow students to use the computers unless the teacher has authorized it as part of the lesson.

During one period, after two students had finished, they quietly played a maze game on the computer.

In another period, two other students wanted to work on a history assignment from another class. They finished their work, so I permitted this and even helped them a bit.

My defiance was benign, and this gave students who would have otherwise been bored something to do.

Was my defiance warranted in this case. The aides did not react to this activity.

Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

sound the ALARM!
Old 03-01-2017, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Oh no, a guest teacher used his own initiative and got some thing done with the students! There was no plan but the students were at least cooperative? By golly, I should report you for a job well done .

In all seriousness, I'm glad that you had a good day.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 03-01-2017, 08:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I admit that this sounds like a silly thing to worry about, but with so many schools at which I am no longer allowed to work, a certain degree of paranoia has set in.

MaineSub

Old 03-02-2017, 02:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm not sure I'd call this defiance. It sounds to me like these kids are hungry to learn--partly because of the lack of a teacher for an extended period of time. I'd be more inclined to call this an example of capturing an opportunity.

As for the folder instruction... I'll bet it's based on some sort of problem in the past--many rules come about as perceived solutions to problems. "When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail."

But I do understand the "paranoia." I've been known to take some liberties even when there is a plan but I'm very cautious and usually explain in my note to the teacher.

If you are challenged or questioned, I would fall back on two things. First, very often special ed classes are given a much more wide latitude where "rules" are concerned. Second, you were operating with no teacher input and were, effectively, the teacher. Your goal was to engage the students and make some learning happen. You did that.

The fact that the aides didn't react suggests this is one of those rules that no one pays much attention to... I doubt there will be any ramifications. In a way that's unfortunate, because it would be nice if you were recognized for what you achieved.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Cetti

Old 03-02-2017, 05:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You motivated the students to learn, got results and then rewarded them!

Cetti is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

I don't think it is defiance either...
Old 03-02-2017, 05:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

In this case, with no plans and no lead teacher, you were the teacher and gave permission...

Since you were closely monitoring the usage, even helping, no one should balk at that.

I teach SpEd at the MS/HS level (combined class) for Behavior Disorders and Emotionally Disturbed. Even with regular staff here almost daily (<3 absences for me, a little more with the paras,) some days are just survival mode.

Other people don't understand until they've spent a day or longer with us in that setting. Walk throughs and observations can't even come close.
Lottalove is online now   Reply With Quote

Cayo

Old 03-02-2017, 11:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Since there was no teacher to authorize it, your allowing the students to use the computer under your supervision was not an act of defiance. You were the teacher and did nothing inappropriate. Your willingness to take on a special ed class that has been without a teacher all year is commendable and I'm sure the kids had a good day with you.
Cayo is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

Ever notice...
Old 03-02-2017, 02:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Ever notice how sometimes the plans will explain what you CAN'T do 100 times over instead of what you CAN do?

It's like, "Here are the rules, follow them or suffer the consequences. By the way, I have little or no advice to give you about extra activities for the students."

I get there is pressure from administration to make sure students aren't breaking the rules, but so much focus on rules instead of curriculum makes the job of teaching almost impossible to do. I hate being babysitter cop.

For example: I'm very much anti-cell phone in class, but good luck enforcing that law with 30 defiant high school seniors on their IPhones who view us as a dumb stranger. I'd much rather distract them with school work and boring videos than be reduced to nothing but a rule enforcer.

Sadly, some schools only want a warm body rule enforcer there.

Last edited by subasaurus; 03-02-2017 at 02:43 PM..
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

Subtastic

Old 03-02-2017, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I think it's okay to put your own spin on lessons, especially if you are certified in that subject area. I have done it. I have often used the first 5 minutes or so to teach a minilesson on diction or perhaps the origin of the word boycott for instance. I have offered my input on writing pieces. I see no harm in that, especially if students are going to be working on a project for more than an hour.
Subtastic is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 03-02-2017, 08:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

The excellent responses I have received here are very similar to a response I would give if someone else had written my question, so I am glad others are on the same page.

Now, I need to decide if I should contact the superintendent at another one of my districts as to why I am not welcome at four schools.

This would explain why it has been 15 years since I have worked at about three of them, even though my experiences way back then at all four schools were very positive.

The new sub coordinator said she is not at liberty to tell me, and that I need to contact the Principals for permission to be put on their call list. I wrote one Principal last week and got no response.

YayaSub

Old 03-03-2017, 12:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

It seems like there must be something going on since it has happened to you so many times. Our district does not ban for almost any reason (apparently.) Can I respectfully ask if it could it be that there is something they find a problem with? Some people have mannerisms or demeanors that just rub people wrong, even in the absence of a specific infraction. If they have repeatedly seen you ineffective with classroom management or other teachers have reported something they've observed, maybe that would explain it. It's too bad no one will just look you in the eye and say what the problem is. At least then you could see their side of it.
YayaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 03-03-2017, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Yayasub is likely correct.

I do have learning disabilities ,including mild autism, but for the most part, I have been able to camouflage my disadvantages and overcome them with effort.

I am on the preferred list of about eight teachers.

I suspect, however that I probably do have some mannerisms that over 95% of my co-workers either do not notice or do not care about, but a handful do notice and are troubled by them.

If they were truly significant, I doubt I would have lasted almost 20 years and still be welcome at over 65 schools