Help

Substitute Teachers

Aesop (frontline) gives no info

>

newsub702

Aesop (frontline) gives no info
Old 03-07-2017, 06:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am very new at subbing, having only subbed twice. I also do not have any teaching experience or education in teaching. My district doesn't do any training at all for subs.
I would like to sub more, but I find that Aesop is so vague about the assignments. Being so new, I'd like to have an idea of whether I can handle a job before I accept it.
For example, Aesop will often just list "Extra Help Elementary" or "extra Help Special Education", without even giving a grade level. In fact, in my district, that is the bulk of the assignments that appear on Aesop.
I was advised by someone who subbed in the past never to take these "Extra Help" assignments, because they often mean you have to float around from room to room and sometimes even be a lunchroom monitor (yikes!).
Does anyone have any advice o how to decipher the cryptic Aesop descriptions? I really want to take more assignments, as I am in danger of not being renewed for next school year if I don't get the required number of assignments.

newsub702 is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 03-07-2017, 01:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This is a function of how the district has Aesop setup.

Extra help elementary probably would be in an elementary classroom while extra help special ed would be in an inclusion or other special ed room. There is usually an aide in the special ed rooms.

Today I was in a special ed room and there were three aides; one general aide and two for specific children.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

Extra help/additional support
Old 03-07-2017, 01:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Doing this tomorrow. It's usually during IEP season, and you are either floating between special ed classrooms or regular ed classrooms as teachers go to IEP meetings. Tis the season.....
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 03-07-2017, 03:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Any job labeled "extra help" is the kind of job that I will jump at. It usually means an easy day with lots of support.

I would not avoid this kind of job.

It is a matter of opinion of course, but I have been subbing almost 20 years, and these types of jobs are my first choice, although rather rare in my districts.
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

Cayo

In my district those jobs are called "rover."
Old 03-07-2017, 10:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

They can be anything from filling in for several teachers while they are involved in IEPs to being a one-on-one aide to a single student. You'll probably never know for sure until you arrive. Those kinds of days usually aren't too difficult and provide some variety. They are good practice for the kinds of jobs you'll have in the future, so don't shy away from them. By definition, a sub is a jack of all trades.

Cayo is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Go for it!
Old 03-08-2017, 02:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'm another vote for taking these! I love being a second adult in the room, or filling in for a teacher at a meeting, because I get the chance to see how that room really runs when the regular teacher is there. Then, if that teacher is out sick and I sub for him/her later, I feel much more comfortable!
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 03-08-2017, 04:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Rover?

That's ruff, ruff

Sorry, couldn't resist!
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

newsub702

Thanks
Old 03-08-2017, 06:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thank you all for the input. That was my very first post and it's so nice to see so many of you offering advice!

In my district there are several of these "extra help" jobs posted, often for several days at a time. I will try it, but I think I'll stick to the PreK-4 schools!

And again- I hope I don't have to be a lunchroom monitor! I find most of them to be so mean, and I just can't be like that
newsub702 is offline   Reply With Quote

mkesub

Old 03-08-2017, 08:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Where I work those jobs are called "floaters". I like them, but wouldn't want them every day. You often get to see different class rooms which is good. Also if there's one that's particularly challenging you won't be stuck with them all day.

And as for lunch room monitors... I've done that plenty of times and I'm never mean.
mkesub is online now   Reply With Quote

Cetti

Old 03-08-2017, 06:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Being a floater is a gamble, but the good thing is your not in 1 room for very long (if it is challenging). If you are a lunch monitor there will be other monitors there to "be mean" just walk around and make yourself visible to the kids to keep them aware of your presence, no need to yell!

Cetti is offline   Reply With Quote