Help

Substitute Teachers

Substituting on a field trip

>

mlk56

Substituting on a field trip
Old 03-06-2017, 01:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What are your thoughts on this --- The field trip involved many other schools with hundreds of students within the same age range. It was extremely difficult to monitor and keep track of students when you don't know which ones are with you and which ones are not because you don't know them. I personally felt it was too much of a liability and will never do it again. I was surprised a school would even allow it.

mlk56 is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Yikes!
Old 03-06-2017, 02:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would agree... If I knew ahead of time, I might have tried something like having "my" kids wear something like a ribbon or badge (names on it would probably be discouraged, but you could label them "Team A" or something). Obviously, this would depend somewhat on age. One of my field trip rules with kids is "You must be able to see me and I must be able to see you at all times." We always have a quick class meeting. Sometimes we'll use the buddy system. It's one of the few times other than recess when I wear and use a whistle.I do sub on field trips, but have the advantage of knowing most of the kids.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

What my school has done
Old 03-06-2017, 05:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If there is a sub who isn't familiar with the students, a teacher from an encore class (they have all students at the middle school, so know them) goes along, and the sub stays back and subs in that classroom. It ends up being a fairly easy day, because if the grade level is gone, they have two extra periods with no students - one in the morning and one in the afternoon - unless coverage is needed elsewhere. I've never subbed in this situation, but when I was teaching full-time this was done.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 03-06-2017, 05:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We hardly ever have just one teacher on a trip, so the other teacher usually knows most of the kids well enough. Plus we have parents. I actually liked going on field trips as a sub because for me it was being a warm body. Maybe I had a small group but usually not. I definitely would not like it not knowing the kids being the only one.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 03-06-2017, 08:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Yikes, hundreds of students?? No way. The only field trips I sub for are with kids I already know, and there are always other teachers and parents along. I'm very surprised a school would send a sub on a field trip without having grade level teachers to help supervise and identify students.

mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 03-06-2017, 10:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I had that happen to me once: show up to an unfamiliar classroom and be told that we're going to a kid's museum. It was not comfortable and I just hoped I didn't lose anyone. Last week I went to a class I'd subbed in many times and someone in the office said the whole school was going on a field trip. I thought he was joking. Sure enough the whole school was bussed down the street to an auditorium where the 6th graders were putting on a play. Luckily, the kids were in seats the whole time. I felt better about it because I knew the school and the students.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

jeopardyfan

Old 03-06-2017, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I've gone on 4 field trips as a sub. I only knew about one of them in advance, the others were "surprise field trip day!" For 3 of the trips, there were enough parent volunteers so that each parent only had to worry about 4-5 kids and I didn't have a group. My job consisted of wandering around the field trip facility with the other teachers making sure the groups were doing ok, then doing a headcount on the bus before we went back to school. The other trip was with the lifeskills class, and I was subbing for one of several aides that went along, so I was really only responsible for 2 or 3 kids (I don't remember exactly).

I love field trip days--free entry into places I haven't been to in years due to cost, and generally easy days as I've never had to actually directly supervise a group of kids during the trip.
jeopardyfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

General supervision
Old 03-06-2017, 04:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

In this case, it's just generally expected that the guest does supervision duties keeping people safe and secure within an area a school congregates. Having an official count of the kids you are supervising is paramount and also making a note of the bus that they're boarding. The regular teacher should've left you with emergency contact info in addition to trip slips for office use. Ideally, I would think that it's an adult staff that knows the class who should go with those kids. This does happen and it's happened to me too.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 03-06-2017, 07:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Did it once, never again.

Field trip to downtown Pittsburgh for a concert.

1. It included lunch time, no microwave so I had to settle for a bag lunch from the school café.

2. I didn't know the kids and they were beyond excited to be going. Made giving directions difficult and having them follow the directions even more difficult.

3. Handicapped child in a wheelchair went in a van, aide with him, pulled kids out of line to ride with him after I had paired them. Drama and arguing ensued when they didn't like their new partners.

4. We had to walk a considerable distance through the city. We ended up getting separated from the group and arrived late.

5. No one had my cell phone number and I didn't have theirs to call and let them know we had gotten separated. (we got a "don't walk" and the group that made it across the street didn't wait for us).
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Kailey123

Old 03-09-2017, 08:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I won't do field trips unless it's with a class I know well and if it's to a place where they're sitting in seats, like the Planetarium.

I remember a few years ago a 1st grade teacher who I didn't know (new to the school) asked me to sub for her for a week while she went on a cruise for her birthday. Yeah, let's miss a week of school to go on a cruise. oy. (she's no longer at this school). Anyway, she knew months ahead of time that she was going.

Fast forward to field trip planning with the grade level teachers. They had several dates to choose from to go to one of the Smithsonian museums (Natural History). One day was during her cruise week. Did she tell the other teachers that she wouldn't be there? Of course not. Turns out she hated field trips and the other teachers figured she did it on purpose.

Well there was no way I was going to that museum (huge) with a bunch of first graders no matter which parents went along. We had one diabetic kid and one with allergies who had an epipen. No way. I believe the diabetic kid's mother went along but for the epipen kid my only instructions from that teacher were "get E.'s epipen from the clinic before you go." um...

I told the office that I was not comfortable doing all that, and I suggested they send the school-based permanent sub on the trip and I'd sub for him that day. So that's what we did and it all worked out. The permanent sub was thrilled to get out of the building for a day, lol.

I always hated field trips even when it was my own kid and his/her classmates because I was always paranoid about losing someone. No way I want to do it with a bunch of unknowns.

Kailey123 is offline   Reply With Quote