Looks like the plague is going through the school... - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

Looks like the plague is going through the school...

>

lisa53

Looks like the plague is going through the school...
Old 03-08-2017, 04:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

One biology teacher has been out now for 4 days. Another couple of teachers out today. I am not available today--I have a bunch of appointments--but I told the secretary that I can do tomorrow and Friday if she needs me. Looks like she might.

lisa53 is online now   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

Here too
Old 03-08-2017, 05:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Not so many kids absent as a couple weeks ago, but it's hit the staff. I'm booked this week, but had to cover one p.e. period yesterday in addition to my other assignment because they couldn't get a sub. It's IEP season, so between covering for special ed teachers and classroom teachers, our meager supply of subs is all used up.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Subinnc

May be getting better here now
Old 03-09-2017, 07:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

About two weeks ago, 5 of our 9 6th grade teachers were out with the crud. I was in 8th grade doing a short leave and I got it. One of the days I was out, including me, 5 of 8 were out. There are several kids that I know of that have had it twice now. It was so bad at one point that they were considering closing the schools due to sickness. That did actually happen in a nearby district.

I think...I HOPE...the worst is over now. Unfortunately, now that my daughter and I are both semi-well, her boyfriend has it. I'm scared he's going to reinfect her and in turn, me!
Subinnc is offline   Reply With Quote

Kailey123

Old 03-09-2017, 07:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Yes, here too. Northern Virginia. I just finished a six-day job for a 1st grade teacher who had the flu. And for none of those six days did I have a full class, there were at least three or more kids out every day. I have a job on Friday also so I was determined to take today off. I hardly had two feet in the door yesterday after school and the secretary was texting me to ask about today. (I only sub at one school.) I told her no, I absolutely need a day off to get all the million things done that didn't get done while I was doing the 1st grade job. After an entire day with 1st graders I came home and wanted nothing more than to put my feet up. ugh.

Good thing they're cute because they sure were a handful.

Anyway, five teachers out today and last time I looked they were all still up in the system. Some scrambling going on down there today, I imagine. I'm standing firm though and taking the whole day off!
Kailey123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Bandnstrings

same in my nova district
Old 03-11-2017, 03:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My Northern VA county has had days with 150-200 unfilled positions as well . There aren't too many subs in our area---all of NOVA is begging from what I see. That's why the schools are nice to us

Bandnstrings is offline   Reply With Quote

Kailey123

Old 03-12-2017, 05:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
My Northern VA county has had days with 150-200 unfilled positions as well . There aren't too many subs in our area---all of NOVA is begging from what I see. That's why the schools are nice to us
Oh yes! Nice to be appreciated and nice to be fought over, isn't it? lol

I only sub in one school and work most days. If I wanted to work every day I could do so by just going down the road to the next closest school. One day I had a phone call from the principal of a school where I've never been asking me if I could do a two-week job for one of their teachers. I have no idea how she got my name and number (I'm assuming from the sub office at the county level). I asked the assistant principal at my school if she'd given my name to that other school and she looked horrified and said "NO! I did not!" and then "Are you going to take that job?" with a worried tone. lololol. She was very relieved when I said no I wasn't. lol. It's like when parents keep the name of their good babysitter to themselves and don't want to share with others. I don't mind being fought over.
Kailey123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Bandnstrings

Yup
Old 03-13-2017, 04:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Yes it is haha. I'm not there anymore for various random reasons, but a Fairfax secretary offered to warm my coffee for me when I came in. I'll never forget that haha. I'm in Loudoun now andfeel well treated all-around. No complaints. Fairfax was nice too. The NOVA systems seem to have their hearts in the right place, especially compared to other regions I've been in. Gotta love supply and demand. Hopefully we'll all stay healthy. Enjoy the week.
Bandnstrings is offline   Reply With Quote