Help

Substitute Teachers

DONE With Elementary: A Big Long Vent

>

mommysubs

DONE With Elementary: A Big Long Vent
Old 03-28-2017, 05:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

...not because of the students, but because of incompetence in the adult population. Administrators who constantly "forget" to pay me or change my assignment on just about every given day to the most intense high needs physically aggressive special ed assignments only to give "the chosen one" (building sub who grew up there and is 33 and still lives with her parents) a job that I HAD SECURED FIRST ON AESOP because it is more preferable to her. I am not even certified elementary anyway and now that they fixed the problem at the Middle School and finally added me to their list with the year half over (I signed up for all 3 buildings in September) I am only going to take MS and HS jobs. They can find another kick dog for the Elementary and their subversive political atmosphere. I feel like a real human being when I work at the HS, the secretary is on top of her game and besides maybe being asked to fill in for the gym teacher during a planning block, I never get treated like a rag doll being dragged around to wherever whenever they see fit. The sad part is that my children will be going to this school and I can only imagine the kind of crap they will be subject to with the nasty behind the back talk that goes on between the teachers about students and parents in the Elementary faculty room at lunch. Not to mention my kids are twins and this school's "policy" on twins is separate immediately beginning with that first day of kindergarten. Why??? Is there a "policy" for emotionally destroying single children too? I have heard the reasons and they pretty much resonate with the heartless mentality of the school itself. Why should there be any mandated policy on someone else's family...shouldn't it be our choice...but now I am getting into something else entirely. The complete picture of this elementary staff can be summed up as this: a frightened autistic first grader is forced to sit on the gym floor to attend an overwhelming whole school loud music assembly. She is non verbal but was covering her ears and screaming. Finally, she bolts away from her class still screaming and into the middle of the assembly. The stuck up professionals in the room stand haughtily with their classes, staring and rolling their eyes watching the aide struggling with the girl. I am with another class that day but I help the aide with the girl and together we calm her down quickly. Boy the glares I got that day...

Last edited by mommysubs; 03-28-2017 at 06:32 AM..
mommysubs is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

things change
Old 03-28-2017, 09:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Just hang in there. I hear you. You prolly know this but you know that the hiring process is no better either You're not going to give up that easy!
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

Good for you!
Old 03-28-2017, 09:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

One of the few perks to subbing is that you get to say when, where and what you are doing each day! So, Bravo!

(Picture Pretty Woman saying, "I get to say who, I get to say what, I get to say WHO!")
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

Old 03-28-2017, 11:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I only sub middle/high school. This year, it's only been middle school because of requests. But it's not because of the elementary staff. I have an elementary degree. Upper elementary is okay, but little kids wear me out. I get enough of tattling from my grandkids. I'm sorry you've had such bad experiences. I personally think that middle school is the best to sub.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

stolaf

Feel your pain.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I feel your pain-only just the opposite. I taught middle and high school for 22 years. In a district shuffle, I ended up in an elementary school, where I was blissfully happy. During the district 'purge of 2012', lots of us, (nearly 1000), were forced to retire. So I started to sub - grades Pre-k - 12. I was miserable working with older students. They were rude, disrespectful, and mean. Subs always had to pull an extra class and ended up with bus duty for the last bus in the county. Restrooms were always locked and heaven help you if you asked the staff for the RR Key!
I stuck it out for two years and switched to elementary. so much better. Not perfect, but better.
One thing that I have noticed, is that the last classes considered for any whole school activity are usually the special needs classes. Sometimes the teachers are not even notified about assemblies and book parades, so they can prep their students. As far as I'm concerned, when a special needs student is having a melt-down, the counselor and administrators should be the first ones to help.

stolaf is offline   Reply With Quote