Re: sick pay, should I tell sub tech what I am doing? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

Re: sick pay, should I tell sub tech what I am doing?

>

Sirsubalot

Re: sick pay, should I tell sub tech what I am doing?
Old 04-14-2019, 03:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This has been a rough year.

Between my own illness, and special circumstances regarding my elderly parents, I have already had six sick days this year, and must miss day seven tomorrow as I need to watch my dad while my mom is gone. His caregiver is not available.

I have already used up all three days for one district, and one each for the other two. Another day will need to go unpaid.

I took a sick day on March 26, my first for one district. Unfortunately, I had to go directly to the sub tech to get the sick day form, which I did this week, and returned it filled out two days later.

I took a job and cancelled it five minutes later, so I hope it gets approved.

Now, I just did the same thing again for the same district. I picked up a job and cancelled it in five minutes for April 15.

Now, only a week later, I have to go to the sub tech again and get another sick day form.

I hate to see her again for this reason.

What I am now deciding is whether I should explain via e-mail what I just did, hoping the honest approach could help my chances for approval, or should I just go in and ask for another sick day form.

If they have evidence that on both occasions I picked up a job and cancelled it right away, could they deny me sick pay for either or both days?

Would it be legal for them to deny me?

If we simply got paid for unused sick days, we would not have to play games.

Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

artladyhere

Old 04-14-2019, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would lay it all out and be honest.

The only time I need a special cancellation by the sub manager is if Iím cancelling the day of the job. We can block off days, but we donít get sick days or need special forms. Interesting but sounds a bit controlling.
artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote

substeph

Are these
Old 04-14-2019, 05:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

days that you already signed up for and now you have to cancel them? Where I am we can't cancel after 5 pm on our own. We would have to call the sub coordinator early in the morning and have them cancel out the job then we are marked "yellow" on the board. So, we can't pick any other assignments that day. And I'm pretty sure you can't do that more than 3 times a month.

I'm not sure how your sub service works.
substeph is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 04-14-2019, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

For those unfamiliar with AB 1522, we are allowed three sick days per year if we meet the hours worked qualification, but one can only use a sick day if you have a job to cancel.

This means that If one gets sick three days, but they have no job scheduled any of these days, they do not get sick pay for any of these days since they had no job to cancel.

I therefore had to pick up a job and cancel it just to get my sick day.

We are forced to pick up jobs we know we cannot keep, or we get no pay.

We get job numbers when we pick up a job, so if you pick up a job and then cancel immediately, you have a job number to put on your sick pay form. No job means no number.

Sublime

Old 04-15-2019, 08:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am in CA and we get 1 hour of sick time for every 30 hours worked. What I did once was accept a job a week or so in advance but I did not cancel it until a day or 2 before to get the sick time. (I had reasons for wanting to collect the sick pay, like you did.) I was worried something would happen if I canceled for the sick day too far ahead of time.

I doubt they could deny you. If you have earned the sick time, it's yours to use. But, I can't be sure about that.

Additionally, I do not have to submit anything, just cancel for illness, and write the assignment on my time sheet (we have physical assignment sheets), and write "6 hours" under a column labeled "sick hours."

Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 04-15-2019, 04:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I had a choice of which district I was going to use for sick pay, but there is one that I preferred to use.

The one I preferred allows us to write AB 1522 with the job # on our time sheet, which we bring to the sub coordinator to sign.

I preferred this district since there is no form, and my last sick day was February 7 instead of March 26.

My 2nd choice offered a job first, so i took one and cancelled it.

I woke up at 1:30 this morning and my preferred district finally had a job I could take and cancel, so I will use this district. It is more convenient and pays $10 more .

I would never attempt it, but I am wondering if I would get caught by the state if I got sick pay from both districts. One is on AESOP, the other subfinder express.

The checks for all three districts are identical.

Tapdancesub

Old 04-16-2019, 06:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I now have 7 sick days accrued that need to be used. I feel terrible, but I too have taken a job and cancellled. I canít leave that much money on the table.
I think itís ridiculous that this is the way we have to claim a benefit we are entitled to.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 04-16-2019, 12:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I wonder if there are any districts that have common sense, along with a sense of fairness, and actually do pay subs for unused sick pay?
This would solve all our problems, and eliminate inconvenience for the districts.

broomrider

Sick pay
Old 04-17-2019, 08:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Districts vary in how they pay full time employees for unused sick leave. Some do not let days accrue year to year beyond a certain limit. Other have unlimited accrual. Some will pay for unused days when you leave or retire up to a specified limit. Most will only pay for unused sick leave if you retire rather than quit, just as non-governmental entities do.

My district promised 25% cash payout for unused sick leave at retirement, but had a district wide dollar limit so that when I left during a high retirement year, I got 12% cash for unused days. I could have taken my last year off at full pay with a cooperative doctor.

It is unlikely that districts would be willing to pay some or all of unused sick leave at the end of each year to subs when they don't pay their full time employees for those days.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 04-17-2019, 06:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I understand your point, but I suspect sick pay for full time employees is well over three days a year.