Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

In Remembrance of 49 Lives

>

musiclover

In Remembrance of 49 Lives
Old 06-12-2019, 09:11 AM

I live in Central Florida. It has been 3 years since members of our community went to a nightclub on a Saturday night and never came home.

The Pulse shooting, although one of many mass shootings across the country, was personal for so many of us. I have to say that it never seems real until it happens in your town. Literally, it was in my neighborhood. My heart is still broken in a million little pieces when I think about the hatred and the carnage that night. I drive past the site at least once a week. There are always - always - people there, reading the memorials that are written on walls and sidewalks.

And I wonder, as gun control still seems like a distant dream, what have we learned?

musiclover is online now   Reply With Quote

Tori58

What have we learned?
Old 06-12-2019, 10:57 AM

Evidently, nothing. And the scariest thing is that, while they are tragic and terrifying, mass shooting represent only a very small percentage of people killed by guns in this country every year.

And, while I think stricter gun laws would be a great start, I don't delude myself that they would put an end to violence and hate in this country. It appears that greed and hate have become virtues in some people's minds. I don't know a cure for that.
Tori58 is online now   Reply With Quote

DSLBUG

Old 06-12-2019, 11:33 AM

I was sure after Sandy Hook our nation would work toward ending gun violence.....so many innocent lives cut short.
DSLBUG is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 06-12-2019, 11:54 AM

Things like this affect.a person more when it is in their neighborhood and they see constant reminders of the tragedy. That was such a horrible event. I hope somehow you find peace about this situation.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

School shootings
Old 06-12-2019, 12:28 PM

Just so wrong. If congress could not get their a##’s in gear after sandy hook, it will never happen. They (both parties) get NOTHING done. Teachers are now in “harms way” just as much as other public servants but without the training.

juliet4 is online now   Reply With Quote

readerleader

Old 06-12-2019, 02:41 PM

My son was a first responder to the Pulse tragedy. I was sure he was off duty, but when the phone rang early that morning, I just knew he had been there. He was still a relatively new officer at that time and I will never forget the shock and dismay in his voice. It was a defining moment for him. Gun control? We've learned nothing.
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 06-12-2019, 05:52 PM

I worked with a teacher whose son was killed at Virginia Tech. A senseless loss of a wonderful young man. Every mass shooting means she relives his death.
marguerite2 is online now   Reply With Quote