Help

Special Education

Anti-Coffee Cart?

>

readandweep

Anti-Coffee Cart?
Old 06-16-2019, 06:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have any thoughts on this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StyleTEu2PI

Basically it is stating that student-run coffee carts are damaging to students because they are not inclusive.

I have a strong opinion about this, but am curious what others think.

readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

hiker1

Old 06-16-2019, 09:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't have a problem with it. Inclusion is not always the best for everyone. I am familiar/associated with a sheltered workshop/group home. The director told me that he is having trouble staying open because it is not inclusive enough and that the workshop does not allow for inclusion. He also stated that a few of his employeess would get themselves fired from their jobs in inclusive enviornments because they miss all of their friends. Inclusion is fine but we must also remember the individual. Everyone likes going to work/school when you know you will see your friends. In some cases (IMHO) students/adults are missing out on solid friendships all because of the push for being inclusive. Most people will be kind towards the individual with special needs, but that still isn't true friendship. I know of a 33 year old man with cognitive delays who absolutely loves Sesame Street/Elmo. How far to you go to tell him that is not appropriate when in fact he is functioning on the level of a 4 or 5 year old? How many conversations will he have with his coworker at the grocery store about this? My point is that everyone needs friends at our own level and who "Gets" us.
hiker1 is offline   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Old 06-16-2019, 01:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Boooooo.

Fine. Donít call it inclusion - I definitely donít. My students run a coffee business because they arenít going to get that opportunity otherwise. I want them to be proud of the work they do and the money they make, without feeling like they need a ďtypical friendĒ to help. They make the posters, announcements on the intercom, and decide what to do with the money they make. They get to do it on their OWN. Independence and autonomy they rarely get to have.

And letís be honest - there are a TON of school activities my students donít get to participate in, so I have absolutely NO sympathy for the gen ed kids who get excluded from this one activity. If their teachers want them to have that experience, then they can start their own business. Oh wait - thatís something those kids are able to do outside of school: pet-sitting, dog-walking, babysitting, lemonade stands, etc. How many of the kids in my life skills class get to do that? Zero. Good grief.

Yeah, I have feelings about this. Sorry/not sorry for the rant.
pdxteacher is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 06-16-2019, 02:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
Boooooo.

Fine. Donít call it inclusion - I definitely donít. My students run a coffee business because they arenít going to get that opportunity otherwise. I want them to be proud of the work they do and the money they make, without feeling like they need a ďtypical friendĒ to help. They make the posters, announcements on the intercom, and decide what to do with the money they make. They get to do it on their OWN. Independence and autonomy they rarely get to have.

And letís be honest - there are a TON of school activities my students donít get to participate in, so I have absolutely NO sympathy for the gen ed kids who get excluded from this one activity. If their teachers want them to have that experience, then they can start their own business. Oh wait - thatís something those kids are able to do outside of school: pet-sitting, dog-walking, babysitting, lemonade stands, etc. How many of the kids in my life skills class get to do that? Zero. Good grief.

Yeah, I have feelings about this. Sorry/not sorry for the rant.
I'm in total agreement with this. Fair does not always mean equal, and I think a lot of the time inclusion just for inclusion's sake is detrimental. I can agree with her that it's not "inclusion"- but who cares? Not everything has to be inclusion!

The whole "gen ed kids don't get to participate" is a really stupid argument, IMO. How many activities do kids with disabilities not get to participate in? This is on such a smaller scale, but it reminds me of a teacher I used to work with who was always miffed about my kids getting more PBIS tickets than others in her class (because they were also earning them from me in pull out times)- "it's not fair." I looked at her and said, "You know what else is not fair? Having a learning disability!"
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

readandweep

Cart
Old 06-16-2019, 02:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Totally agree with you guys.

I never have mentioned the word inclusion when it comes to the coffee cart and neither has any other teacher I know that does it.

The cart is an extension of our classroom lessons and raises money for activities that only our class goes on or participates in.

The cheerleaders don't let everybody participate in their car washes and the band doesn't let just anybody sell candy.

readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 06-18-2019, 09:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My daughter does a coffee cart with her special ed high school students and I strongly disagree with this woman's whining viewpoint for the reasons you all have stated.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Coffee Cart
Old 06-19-2019, 05:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Wow. I guess I never thought that deeply about this as many of you. That means Iím a bit shallow?

I love the coffee cart idea. Our high school has one. Itís open every day before school in the commons and hosts a delivery service in the class period after lunches end (afternoon pick me up).

Our life skills group runs it, supervised by the teacher and two aides. They are very good and have it down to a Science. I never thought of fair or unfair, inclusion or not. I just thought ďtheyíre learning valuable skills that will help them when they are grown ups.Ē Our life skills kids need FUNCTIONAL skills to help them become adults that can have as much independence as possible. This helps immensely.
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Old 06-21-2019, 12:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
I guess I never thought that deeply about this as many of you. That means Iím a bit shallow?
No, you're not shallow. It probably just touched a nerve for some of us because it's what we do day in and day out, and we can be pretty passionate about it. We work with a group of people who are often pushed to the sidelines and then our "mama bear" instincts come out.
pdxteacher is online now   Reply With Quote