Help

The VENT

When can you access your room?

>

Unicorngirl

When can you access your room?
Old 07-15-2019, 06:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have never been able to get into my room during the Summer. Yet, I watch teacher vlogs and a lot of them have been coming and going during the summer (and on weekends.) In the past this might have made me feel inadequate but I am not giving them any of my precious summer.

Unicorngirl is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 07-15-2019, 06:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We can usually get into the room, but you can't do anything in them. The custodians and maintenance staff are working during the summer. Many teachers start going in the week before we go back, but even then it is up to custodial staff whether you can actually do anything or not.

I don't like going in, but I also never liked starting with all of the stuff in the room piled in the center. Oh, yeah, that was before I figured out that even though our sign out sheet says we have to do that, you don't. Now I leave my room like I ended it. I do put the boxes and crates on the tile up on the counter or desks. But other than that, nothing.

This year I have a completely new room to set up. I did put as much away on the last day of school as I possibly could, but didn't get it all organized. Probably won't be all organized when school starts. . I will not go in early to do so. I already have 3 days of unpaid PD scheduled, and attended a meeting to put together PD for the beginning of the year, which resulted in my having to put together a couple of PD activities.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Old 07-15-2019, 06:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We can go in anytime we want, 24/7. I have some small items to move in there, and I won't worry about that until just before workdays begin, because I know maintenance crews are still working. My guess is they haven't gotten to my room yet, and that's OK. Meanwhile, there's plenty to do at home, both professionally and personally.
teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 07-15-2019, 06:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I could go in anytime I wanted between 8-6 (I think). I just call into security to turn off the alarms. I don't though, because I'm not a fan of donating my time to school. It's my job, not a charity I support with volunteerism.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

lte's mom

Old 07-15-2019, 06:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I could go in anytime as long as the custodians are done with my room. They shampoo the carpet and wax the floors. I generally go back about a week before open house.

lte's mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 07-15-2019, 06:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We can go whenever we want but all the furniture needs to be pushed to one side until floors are cleaned, usually mid July.

I don't volunteer my time for the school but for me. Having a refreshed room with everything organized and spruced up makes me feel better.
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 07-15-2019, 07:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

In almost twenty years in the same district, this is the first summer where I had to turn in my keys. When I taught elementary, I would go in a few times over the summer to calm my nerves and be set up. Since I've switched to middle school, I have not gone in early. I probably won't try getting in early this year either. However, I wish I had my keys so I could get some of my personal stuff I left there!
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Room access
Old 07-15-2019, 08:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We could usually go anytime after custodians shampooed carpet and waxed floors. I learned early on to be really nice to custodians....my room would get cleaned early in the summer.

So I would often go once or twice during summer just to drop off stuff I had bought or things I had cleaned. Usuallynstarted going everyday the week before school started.

Like kahluablast, I used to think I had to move everything. Then I saw the custodians worked. Mostly I just moved desks and chairs and large items to one side of room. If we left a map or photo, sometimes they would attempt to,put things back the right way.
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

No Thank You
Old 07-15-2019, 08:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I, like Zia, did not donate my time to school. That means I did not go there in the summer. Summer was for resting and relaxing at home.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

I have summer access, but
Old 07-15-2019, 08:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I find myself going in less and less each year. When there is no pay-off, or even appreciation, it lessens my motivation to give more for free.

Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote

riko

Old 07-15-2019, 08:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

We can pick up our keys today so officially we can start going in. After summer school was over, I would go in here and there afterwards to set up furniture, empty boxes, set up the physical space. I could do that because my wing was the first for the floors to be waxed and cleaned. But recently something happened and I'm not feeling very positively so even though I can go in, I don't want to right now.
riko is offline   Reply With Quote

Overlightnes

Old 07-15-2019, 08:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

We get access 1-2 weeks before the students arrive. Usually the primary wing is done first followed by the older grades. We don't have access over the weekends.

I like to have time to get in to set up, mostly because I like to go in on rainy days. That way I can save the sunny days to enjoy the summer.
Overlightnes is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 07-15-2019, 08:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

We can go in all the time. The custodians will let us work as soon as they wax. They know which of us will work and which don't darken the door until school starts. They get rooms almost all finished by first of July.

I go in and out all summer doing small things when I have time. I live close by.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 07-15-2019, 08:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

We can get in once the custodians finish our room when the office staff is working (Summer hours: M-Th, 8-4).

Before we leave for summer, we have to make sure everything is put away. The custodians remove all the furniture from the rooms in order to strip and wax the floors. A few years ago, they started allowing us to keep up our bulletin boards. We just have to cover them. In our wing we have over ten bulletin boards and 4 huge chalkboards that we cover and use as bulletin boards so it was wonderful news. It saved me from climbing up and down the ladder a million times in 90+degree hot humid weather to take down in June/put up in August. (I am getting older. I am short and I really have to stretch to get the stapler and staple remover to the top of the bulletin boards. I worry about falling so it is nice to just have to cover them with plastic table cloths.) We do have to turn in our room keys before we leave.

This is the third summer in a row that we have had construction going on so we don't know when we will get back in. The first year we didn't get back into our classrooms until the day of open house. It was a nightmare. That was the summer we also had to completely pack up our rooms so when we finally got back into our rooms, our rooms were filled with stacked boxes and the furniture was to one side. We were scrambling to get our rooms partially set up so parents/students would be able to walk around. God bless the custodians. They did an amazing job clearing out the empty boxes for us and helping us move furniture.

This summer several of us are being moved to a different wing to make room for the new preschool classes they added. Of course, I am one of the lucky ones. So, again, I had to pack up my entire classroom, empty out my closet, and strip all the bulletin boards. I packed up 49 boxes that stayed at school and brought home 3 loads of stuff. I think I spent the first week of summer vacation laying on the couch. I was so exhausted.

I am moving into a much smaller classroom so I am anxious to get in there to figure out where everything is going to fit. I know I will be having to bring home stuff to store. I hate having to drag stuff back and forth to school.
iteachk2010 is online now   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 07-15-2019, 08:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

We get 8 weeks of summer and are able to go work in our rooms halfway through the summer.

However, we also get 5 days in our rooms/in meetings before students come back, along with an optional 3 days of paid planning time prior to that if we choose to use it.

Many summers I have gone in during my last week of break to set up, due to the fact that we have to take our entire room down at the end of each school year (all bookshelves emptied, bulletin boards taken down, all items emptied out of our desk, etc.). It makes for a lot of work at the beginning of the year.

However, we were able to leave a lot of things put together for this year. So.... Iím thinking that I actually may not go in this summer. Iím trying to stay strong in that and not go in.
I will get done what I need to on my paid days!
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

prechrswife

Old 07-15-2019, 10:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

We can get in after the floors are finished, which is usually sometime in July.
prechrswife is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Whenever...
Old 07-15-2019, 10:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

At every place I've ever worked, I'd been able to get in pretty much whenever I want in the summer. Custodians or principals send out e-mails saying where they are at in the cleaning process. When they are doin our room or the hall by our room, then no. When they are doing main hallways that everyone must cross to get to their room, it's the same thing. They let you know via e-mail and then you don't show up those days.
Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-15-2019, 11:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

We usually get an email about a week before school starts saying that we can get in. We do have to turn in keys over the summer and due to the alarm system, you can only go in when someone else is there/has disarmed it (admin or secretaries are the only ones allowed to do this). Other than my first year in this district, I've never gone in early. We get two full work days to set up our rooms before students come in (PD is held on different days) and that is plenty for me- I honestly don't even need that much time.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

room
Old 07-15-2019, 11:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

We can't go in until they're done waxing the floors, so it depends on where our classroom is located as to when we can get in.

We've never been allowed to go in until mid/late July, because nobody is there before that. That's only 2 weeks before it officially starts for teachers.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 07-15-2019, 01:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

WE can go in all summer from 8-4. most come in a little on a day or two so they arent overwhelmed when we go back, because we only get 1 half day to work in our rooms and that would be impossible to set up a room that quickly.

Many people wanted them to negotiate another day onto our year where we set up rooms and get prepped-others complained that they would rather do it when it was convenient during the summer and did not want a day added to our contracts and they were very loud about it. they won in the end. We dont have a whole work day to get rooms ready, but that kinda necessitates that we go in a little over summer to get a few things done.
Kinderkr4zy is online now   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

We have to turn our keys in when we sign out.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Our P and secretary return to work a couple of wks before school starts and some teachers use a week to set up.
I view the last few weeks of summer as my final times of rest before moving 100 mph again.
I would not enter the building early and set up early unless they pd me 5K per day. I guess every1 has their price.
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tessa_Rue

Old 07-15-2019, 01:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

The only time I canít go in is when they are doing construction, shampooing my carpet, or waxing the hall.

My P will encourage us not to come in, because she wants us to focus on relaxing/recharging, etc. On the other hand, she understands that sometimes people feel more prepared and relaxed if they have had the chance to spend some time in their room.

Iím a big believer in doing what you need to do to make your school year the best it can be. If that means not stepping foot in your room until the day you are contracted to, no sweat! If it means you want to go in once a week to organize, more power to you. Differentiation, right?
Tessa_Rue is offline   Reply With Quote

Chimneygrl

Old 07-15-2019, 01:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

We can go in whenever we want. I went in the other day to grab something and my room has yet to be cleaned.

I usually wonít go in until 2 weeks before my new students have to start.
Chimneygrl is offline   Reply With Quote

soleil00

I'm stressing about this....
Old 07-15-2019, 01:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I transferred to a new district this summer and I have no information. I'm assuming my P and the rest of them are taking vacation or something because I can't get any answers. I was not given keys when I signed all my paperwork. Our PD days start August 2nd and I haven't even seen my classroom!

Normally, I go in around the end of July (so next week on a normal year) and start setting the furniture up. Then I take my time putting up the other decor items I use.
soleil00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiamat

Old 07-15-2019, 04:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

We can all access any part of the school 24/7/365. One key opens all buildings, and we have the code for the one room with an alarm. We are all in and out over any holiday break, as there is a roster to feed the animals daily (I was there yesterday, in the middle of our winter break).

However, if you try and work at night (quite safe area), you run the risk of the neighbours spotting the light and calling the Principal and the police. Principal then turns up in his flannelette pjs and dressing gown to see what's happening, and stays to chat for an hour. Happened to one of our younger teachers, and has become a wonderful story to tell.
Tiamat is online now   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

We had to turn in our key
Old 07-15-2019, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

on the last day of school. The key was placed in our mailbox. We could just take the key whenever we wanted to go to our room.
During the summer the only time we could not get in our room was when the summer custodians waxed the hallways or our room's floor.
Yes, a lot of us spent way to much unpaid time at school in the summer.
chipmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 07-15-2019, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

We can go in whenever we want. Only time we can't work in our rooms is when they are being cleaned.
Sbkangas5 is online now   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

Not too early
Old 07-15-2019, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

Typically admin will start letting staff into rooms a day or two before our first contract day. I have never gone in early. If Iím supposed to report at 8:30 on August twenty-something I will report at 8:30 on that date.
tgbwc is online now   Reply With Quote

desert flower

Old 07-15-2019, 10:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

It was opened up to us a couple of weeks after school ended.
desert flower is offline   Reply With Quote

applesaucencr

Old 07-16-2019, 07:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

They usually have summer schedules because maintenance is doing work on the buildings and there are summer programs being held in some classrooms. Unless you are working the summer, the hours are limited and usually access is mostly in August.

We have key cards for security (many buildings you have to go through 2 locked doors) and they only work during designated days and hours.
applesaucencr is offline   Reply With Quote

MayCee

Schools access
Old 07-17-2019, 08:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

They finished waxing my room on June 14th. I could then access it 24/7. I set it up July 7th and wonít go back until closer to school starting. I might go in the Saturday morning before we report,m and finish up the little things. I havenít decided yet.
MayCee is online now   Reply With Quote

Teacher_twins

Old 07-18-2019, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

During the summer we can access our classrooms once the floors are waxed, any maintenance is done, and (if you are moving rooms) your boxes have been moved. We can access the school during summer hours, which are Monday-Thursday from 8:00am-4:00pm

Typically, we get access the beginning of July.

This summer, however, we cannot access our rooms until the end of July (about 3 weeks before school starts and a week before pre-planning) because the fire alarm system is getting upgraded and we are getting new windows.
Teacher_twins is offline   Reply With Quote