Help

Teachers' Lounge

A psa

>

suzyteach

A psa
Old 07-20-2019, 04:59 PM

Zia, this does not apply to you

CLEAN OUT YOUR DRYER VENTS! I'm not talking about the lint trap on your dryer (but, yes, of course, clean that out each time you use the dryer) - but the vent that connect to the back of your dryer, and goes outside. Ours is very long (goes under the house, and weasels around a bit, and finally comes out outside behind our garage.

We did it today. DH has a dryer vent cleaning kit that you use with a drill, you attach a brush to flexible rods (brush extensions), and attach that to the drill, and put it in the dryer vent from outside, adding more extenders as needed until you reach the inside by the dryer (unattach the dryer vent hose from the dryer for this). DH manned the drill/brush while I used the shop vac to suck up the lint. Oh my gosh! So much lint! When we got to the dryer, we reattached the vent hose to the dryer, and turned it on while spinning the brush and pulling it out of the vent. Unbelievable amounts of lint. Here's a picture of our full shop vac - ew!

DH keeps records, and we hadn't done this in 8 years. We did it one year, and then the next, but didn't get a lot of lint the second year. I could have sworn that was 2 maybe 3 years ago. I suggested we do it again because the dryer was beginning to take a little longer to dry our clothes.

Lint in the vents is a huge fire hazard. It's a messy job, and one you probably shouldn't do yourself if you have asthma - at least wear a face mask (I didi't - yuck!)

Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
suzyteach is offline   Reply With Quote

elspeech

Old 07-20-2019, 05:14 PM

Also, if your lint trap in the dryer has a cover you might want to take that off every few years and clean it out. A few months ago one of the screws holding the plastic cover around the lint trap opening came loose and got trapped so I had to take the entire thing off to get it out. The amount of lint trapped in the spaces around the where the lint screen slides in was amazing.
elspeech is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Dryer lint
Old 07-20-2019, 05:14 PM

I do it periodically but have a really short vent.

But it reminds me of a condo we stayed at in Hawaii. The dryer was taking forever to finish. I went to clean the vent and as I reached further and further in I kept coming out with fistfuls of the stuff. And my arm was only so long, there was more.

When we got home I contacted the owner because I was worried about the possibility of a fire.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tessa_Rue

Not lint but...
Old 07-20-2019, 06:53 PM

When I was living in a condo a few years ago, the dryer stopped drying. I cleaned out the lint trap in the dryer, but it didnít help. Then I thought I heard a noise...

I went outside to check the outer vent, and noticed that the cover was off the vent. As it was up quite high, I couldnít look in, but I had a feeling. Called my landlord and yep, there was a birdís nest in it!!
Tessa_Rue is offline   Reply With Quote

tchrrx

Old 07-20-2019, 06:54 PM

I'd like to do this, but I really think that ours vents out to the roof. There's no way we could get up there to clean it.

tchrrx is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 07-20-2019, 07:07 PM

Mine vents to the roof also. I call a drier repair guy to clean it out every two years. Worth the peace of mind
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 07-20-2019, 08:16 PM

I'm in an apartment and I believe it vents to the roof as well. Unfortunately I have dug lint out of the trap as far down as my skinny-armed kids can do it. We've also used other tools to get as much as possible. Our dryer isn't very efficient and I'm sure that's a big part of it. I worry about a fire, too
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 07-20-2019, 09:43 PM

Suzy, you made me laugh!

My brother is a firefighter and HATES dryers. This is an awesome PSA, even if it doesn't apply to enviro-hippies like me.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiamat

Old 07-20-2019, 11:47 PM

My dryer doesnít vent anywhere. It has a lint catcher in the door and thatís it.
Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 07-21-2019, 04:04 AM

So true! A colleague had a house fire because of the lint in the dryer vent. She did not get a new dryer for a few years after her family moved back into the house. I make dh clean it once a year.

mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

suzyteach

Old 07-21-2019, 07:41 AM

I hadn't thought about dryers venting to roofs. I guess you'd have to hire someone to clean them. Also, you'd be much less likely to think about them. Boo.
suzyteach is offline   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

Old 07-21-2019, 08:04 AM

Wow! That pic is worth a 1,000 words and a great safety reminder for us all!

I bet firemen would love to use your pic as a great reason for everyone to clean out dryer vents!

The vent hose and vent cover get cleaned out once a year here-very thankful that it leads out the side of the house and not on the roof . It's really true about that lint trap cover on the outside. It does collect lint, too! The little lint screen inside the dryer, in the front, also gets washed and scrubbed, seems like it gets little particles of lint-read sometime back that needed to be done also-never really thought about it before!
LazyLake is offline   Reply With Quote