Help

Special Education

10 minute activities

>

mom23kids

10 minute activities
Old 09-10-2009, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I work with a teacher who has 6 kids on the spectrum. She changes activities every 10 min. She is at a loss as to how to fill the day when every 10 min is something new. The day is too long!! I am going to help her. can you give me any ideas on what to do for 10 min... it can be reading rel, math related, craft related, anything that would fill 10 minutes and be engaging! (I posted this on busyboard too..sorry, but I'm in need of quick advice) BTW.. she's a great teacher

mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

Christiana

Christiana

Old 09-11-2009, 07:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Every 10 minutes seems rather frequently to be changing activities-- but assuming that she knows what she is doing and has a reason for that: since routine and knowing what to expect are important to kids on the spectrum, that she doesn't need to have a lot of different activities; the kids will appreciate certain activities being repeated. I think she might want to work toward the kids being able to stick to the activity for longer periods of time, for their sake as well as her own. Not knowing their ages, I am assuming they are younger, and as they get older being able to do a task for 20 or more minutes will serve them well.

whatever

wiggle time
Old 09-11-2009, 07:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I too have children with ASD. What I do when I know I will want more than 10 minutes or so of attention is to stop and take a wiggle break. We stop for about 5-7-10 minutes and do something more physical. Some days the wiggle break is their choice of activities, some days I structure it. We might do the hokey pokey, sing aloud, play Simon says, etc. Then we wrap up and I will ask "Got all the wiggles out?" They answer and we go until the all say that the wiggles are out--it might even run 15 minutes alone. Then we sit down at the table and begin. If one gets restless before I am quite finished, I will remind him that the wiggles are too tired to play right now and redirect him.

Then we finish that activity, we do the wiggle time or choice activity time again. If the activity takes longer than that, we do it in stages. It might be two or three of the 10 minute periods to finish or we might even break it up over 2-3 days if necessary.

I think that is great that she has adjusted her schedule to meet their needs but I also know that they will never get beyond a 10 minute activity if she never requires it.

It takes building stamina, just a gen ed teachers use building stamina to increase the students' attention span for individual reading.
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

christina and Whatever
Old 09-11-2009, 01:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Really good points! Thank you so much. I should be able to see that as well. I am going to speak to her about building stamina. They are only 5 and in an intensive kindergarten class. Due to their interfering behaviors, they wouldn't do well in a k class. So this is a program to get them ready for K next year. It's a great program but I'm new in the program (not a new teacher tho) and I'm not seeing things that should be obvious.. like you suggested! Thank you
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

mreinelt

Old 09-12-2009, 12:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I understand what she is doing --change the 10 min to independent acgtivities based on their educational IEPs. Then compliment with small group activities in which she can work on various behaviors necessary for students to be successful in the regular classroom. There are several social skill programs designed to assist in teaching these skills. Such as skillstreaming by Goldstein; Social Stories by Carol Gray. Stop by Sporis West. just to name a few.

mreinelt is offline   Reply With Quote