Help

Special Education

1st year teacher

>

kimberly222

1st year teacher
Old 02-08-2011, 10:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm a first year special education teacher that teaches K-4th grade. I was just wondering if anyone could give me advice on organizing my classroom. I have so many different worksheets and stuff for so many different grades.. I haven't found a good way to organize them yet. I don't know what to put up on my walls because of all the different grades and levels. I also need some advice on what kind of data to keep up with and how often. If anyone has any templates they use for data.. please attach them! I'm getting so overwhelmed!

kimberly222 is offline   Reply With Quote

rwinters

What works for me
Old 02-08-2011, 02:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I found binders works best. I use the plastic sheet and drop the groups/student work into them. There lesson plans and data into a well. Depending on what I've got to prep hanging file folders work as well. Hope that helps.
rwinters is offline   Reply With Quote

pmac

Old 02-08-2011, 06:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I recommend word walls. I use frequently encountered words, the words my kids ask for most like dinosaurs, Nascar, family, birthday etc...along with names from our classroom.

I organize in folders also, I keep them color coded. My writing folders are red, homework is green etc.

I keep their IEP's in 3 ring binders so I can add easily, I keep phone #'s on the front of each kids divider so I can easily contact parents, the phone log is on page 1 so I can quickly not the day/time of call and a brief note of why I'm calling

I also keep folders on my computer for each child and save any emails I get from other staff or parents in the folder so I can access the info and know what I said and they said.
pmac is offline   Reply With Quote

acorngirl

same as the others...
Old 02-08-2011, 07:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Binders. I teach 6-8 grade in self-contained, math and science. I have a binder for each topic that I teach/could teach, and I put that in the file cabinet. When I'm getting ready to teach the topic, I pull out the binder. I will go through what I have, and if I feel I can use it, I pull it out, if I don't, then it stays in there until the folowing year. Of course, any modified assignments from the computer get put in there too. I try to also set it up sequentially in my binder so it makes it easier to keep track. I used to save my multiples of the same sheet--no more. I have too much paperwork to deal with.

I do the same thing with online files, as well. I created folders in my documents folder for each subject/important topic, then inside there, I have a folder for each sub-topic. It helps. For example, I have a math folder, and in there, I have separate folders for fractions, multiplication, algebra, vocab, etc.

For my walls, I keep it generic, but with plenty of space to put up class specific stuff. I have a wall of math vocab, I have problem solving words, problem solving strategies, parts of a microscope, etc. Things that ALL the kids need. But, again, tehre's still enough space that I can add the things the kids make that are specific to the unit we're doing, like parts of a cell, diagrams I want them to know, etc....

Oh, and the infamous numberline is up there, too. That never ever comes down.

I also organize my room according to topic...I have a science section (only one since it's what I teach the least), a math vocab section, a gropu work section, a drills section, etc. The materials for those specific locations are set up on that wall space. It does help that I have an old home ec room, with counters and such, but it helps to have defined spaces to help define what goes ON the walls.

Last edited by acorngirl; 02-08-2011 at 07:35 PM.. Reason: needed to add more
acorngirl is offline   Reply With Quote