Help

Substitute Teachers

How long does it take to get hired?

>

ArtOfMe

How long does it take to get hired?
Old 07-11-2012, 06:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I graduated with a bachelor's in secondary education in May and sent out my substitute teaching applications to five districts near where I live at the end of June. It's been two weeks and I haven't gotten any calls yet. I'm considering just looking for ANY full time job for the fall because I'm feeling anxious that no one will call.

How long does it usually take for districts to call you?

ArtOfMe is offline   Reply With Quote

OneOldGoat

Old 07-11-2012, 07:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would call them. I'm on the list in two districts and if I don't get hired for the fall on contract, I'm going to add one more district. I had to call both of them... if you have a high-need endorsement (like math, science or special ed) they will usually put you on the list. It might just be too early for them to be dealing with getting people on the sub list.
OneOldGoat is offline   Reply With Quote

cannohara

Not sure
Old 07-11-2012, 10:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Where I am at, we sign up to be on the substitute list for various schools/districts. There are no applications.

I've only subbed for a year, but the majority of schools don't call me, they post their jobs on Aesop and I have to grab them before someone else does (although a couple of schools don't use the automated system).

Last year, I didn't get my first sub assignment until late September.

I just got a call today for an interview though. This will be my first one after a year of subbing and sending out 75 applications.

I have heard that some districts wait until August to do their hiring.

Good luck with your search!!
cannohara is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

I agree
Old 07-11-2012, 10:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

that you should call the districts and see if/when they are hiring, what their procedure is, do they interview, do they use AESOP or call subs, etc. You can ask the clerk who answers in the sub office all these questions. It might be good to check on the web (or ask) if they have year round schools, or summer schools where you might begin.

My district has year round schools that meet in summer and I check for jobs almost every day to no avail. There just doesn't seem to be any need for subs other than the ones the school or teacher has lined up.
That may be why you haven't been contacted.

There are many districts with a large number of subs in their pool. You might ask how many subs are placed on average out of how many subs in the pool to gage your chances to work. Some districts are advertising for subs (mine did just before school ended). Others have so many that people leave because they almost never work.

You might want to do a search (check the upper right hand corner of the home page for each area) to see some of the information people have posted about what to take while subbing, ideas on materials, etc.

Good luck.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Cinderella00

Old 07-12-2012, 10:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I think it depends on how many subs the district has and how they handle things. I would call and ask.

I started subbing in the middle of the school year. I turned in my application and background check, and just a few days later I was called early in the morning asking if I would be available to sub that day. No one even told me I was on the sub list!

Of course I get live calls, I don't need to log into a computer to accept jobs.

Cinderella00 is offline   Reply With Quote